Start by marking “John Wayne: My Father” as Want to Read:
John Wayne: My Father

John Wayne: My Father

In John Wayne: My Father, Aissa Wayne delves into her father's childhood, his film career, and his life off the screen. The result is an affecting portrait that offers a new perspective on one of America's most enduring hero's humanity.
Published January 28th 1998 by Taylor Trade Publishing (first published November 19th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about John Wayne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Wayne

Spencer
Jul 28, 2010 Spencer rated it liked it
the book was a quick read. The book was a little weak in serious content, it would add to anyone's knowledge of the Duke.
recommended to all fans (or relatives) ha ha
Teena in Toronto
Nov 24, 2014 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
I wasn't a fan of John Wayne's (1907 - 79) but I wasn't not a fan. I like reading memoirs/bio and I thought this would be an interesting one.

It's written by his oldest daughter of his third marriage (the fifth oldest of his seven children). She tells us of his childhood. Born Marion Morrison and teased about his feminine name as a child, his parents didn't get along and eventually split up. His mother paid more attention his younger brother, Robert, and the author feels this is why as an adult h
Kim
Mar 20, 2014 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, american
A bit haphazardly organized, but still a really interesting read. Aissa Wayne's tone in the book is quite honest as she discusses the good and difficult parts of being John Wayne's Daughter, and about the different facets of her own character as she discusses her own actions during her father's lifetime.

(view spoiler)
Diana M.
May 26, 2016 Diana M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very real tribute.

I found myself remembering the Duke in different films as I read about Alissa's memories of her larger than life father. She writes clearly about her childhood, her mother, and John Wayne most of all. Her portrait of him as a kind, firm and stern father did not surprise me, and I've moved closer to the truth about the man, and what he really loved.
Marvin Gray
Jul 15, 2015 Marvin Gray rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by how captivating this book is. It was a real page turner. To learn that John Wayne was a normal human being, with faults and shortcoming, concerns about finances, and fears that he had failed raising his children, helped me identify with this film superstar. Aissa's story is uniquely tender and informative. A quick read well worth the investment in time.
Elise
Aug 26, 2012 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was loaned to me by a neghbor who is gaga over John Wayne. I'm not a John Wayne fan as far as acting goes, but I really enjoyed Aissa Wayne's book about her father. Although he was probably a hard man to live with, he was a true patriot and loved his country. I wish he were alive today to defend us still.
Roxanne
Nov 24, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
This book is written by his daughter. He was 50 when she was born so that was different. She had a sheltered childhood but John Wayne put her in some of his movies also. I like the book, it explains what it was like to be his daughter.
Sandra Lewis
Nov 12, 2014 Sandra Lewis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
it was a wonderful on john waynes life his movies, family, his ups and down in life, illness and his sad death we will all him very much. i liked it when his kids were in his movies.
sandra l
Casey McNeill
Aug 29, 2008 Casey McNeill rated it really liked it
This is more about what it is like to have John Wayne as her father. But I really loved reading it because I could relate to a lot of the things she went through.
Amy Kane
Jan 14, 2014 Amy Kane rated it it was amazing
Great info book!!! Loved learning more about my favorite actor!!! I enjoy the info I learned from it!!
Kris
Kris rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Annemarie
Annemarie rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2012
Lauri Timonen
Lauri Timonen rated it liked it
May 09, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2012
Dara
Dara rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Dana
Dana rated it it was ok
May 09, 2013
Brooke
Brooke rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2011
Dara
Dara rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Brianna Audrey Wright
Brianna Audrey Wright rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Achsah Benz
Achsah Benz rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Bernadette Disano
Bernadette Disano rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Barb4264
Barb4264 rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Jessica Silva
Jessica Silva rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2011
Brandy
Brandy rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Tom.lucas
Tom.lucas rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Phil G
Phil G rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2008