Start by marking “A Woman Speaks: The Lectures, Seminars and Interviews of Anaïs Nin” as Want to Read:
A Woman Speaks: The Lectures, Seminars and Interviews of Anaïs Nin

A Woman Speaks: The Lectures, Seminars and Interviews of Anaïs Nin

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In this book Anaïs Nin speaks with warmth and urgency on those themes which have always been closest to her: relationships, creativity, the struggle for wholeness, the unveiling of woman, the artist as magician, women reconstructing the world, moving from the dream outward, and experiencing our lives to the fullest possible extent.
Published January 1st 1975 by Swallow Press

To ask other readers questions about A Woman Speaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman Speaks

I feel at a disadvantage slightly, having not read any of Nins works. Though this is a truly extraordinary book filled with the powerful views of a remarkably gifted woman, I felt like I was missing out due to the fact that I still haven't read any of her Diary yet. Having said that, A Woman Speaks has only reiterated the fact that I really must make every effort possible to acquire it. Her voice reads both warmly and determinedly and resonates with the utmost delicacy. I've never been much of a ...more
Persephone Abbott
“Your critics accuse you of being romantic, of living in an ivory tower, of being removed from life, and yet you are saying that you are attracted to those novels which resemble biography because they really do get close to life.” The interviewer puts forth to Nin.

I’ve never favoured Nin’s writing personally, and here, in multiple interviews, she shows brilliance but with such resounding flash that it often fades (in my taste) into blandness, and banality under the guise of feminism. Old femini
Lana Fox
This book changed my life. Nin was an extraordinary thinker and she continues to liberate us from limiting/limited thinking. Every time I find myself worrying about my "career" or "what others think," I return to Nin's writings. Such an empowering philosopher, such a bold, warm voice.
This is a really, really amazing and well-rounded compilation of AN's themes and ideas. Each chapter is dedicated to one theme and is made up of the lecture(s) and follow-up Q & A's. Having read three of the journals so far, I found the Q & A's to be especially helpful because they addressed 99% of the same questions I had about her life ie her lifestyle and economic conditions, advantages of being creative in Paris as opposed to a random small town. Everyone should read this, especially ...more

^ click "see review" to see image
Anais Nin was not an unfamiliar name to me as I often come across her quotes on websites I frequently visit. I haven't read any of her works, so it was a pleasant surprise for me to have found this book at a second-hand book stall at my university campus.

This book summarizes several of Anais Nin's lectures at colleges around U.S in the 1970s, as well as a concise interview on her work, inspirations and philosophy on art and life itself.

Nin talks about her childhood and how she coped with poverty
I think Evelyn Hinz has done an amazing job editing and putting together so many lectures by my beloved author, Anais Nin. I really appreciate her effort to organize them into separate topics, and arrange them in a way resembling an actual lecture, rather than just selecting a few and printing them out. The same has been done to the Q&A section, as I can imagine the same questions were asked frequently.
Anais speaks as a woman indeed, but also, more importantly, as a female artist - she desc
A very philosophical text with a big emphasis on how society should be. It was published in the 70s so a lot of the content is more relevant to that decade than the present one - but there is still a lot to take away from this today. Nin's personal philosophy comes through but a lot of universal issues are discussed, and not just in relation to women. The emphasis on feminism comes from the significance of the Women's Movement at the time of publication. I think it would have a different title t ...more
Anais Nin scheint eine interessante Persönlichkeit gewesen zu sein, ihre Ansichten und Theorien waren jedenfalls sehr interessant zu lesen und scheinen immernoch aktuell zu sein, allerdings hat mich der stark repetitive Charakter dieser Zusammenstellung von Vorträgen und Interviews am Ende so genervt, dass ich das Buch nicht zu Ende gelesen habe.
Für den Inhalt und die Themen würde ich 5 Sterne vergeben, die Zusammenstellung des Buches verdient nur 2 Sterne.
Warum dieses Buch auch den Untertitel
I just enjoyed this book so much! Reading Anaïs I always feel like I'm having a deep conversation with a good old friend.
Nin was wonderful at making her listeners and readers think outside the box. No wonder she lived such an extraordinary life! What touches me most is her continual plea that we start seeing our lives as creative works -- she really believed all humans were artists, and I agree.
Reflections on art and creation, living with a sense of adventure, society and individuals, and so much more.
Päivi Brink
Read this book of essays if her diary is too personal for you, or if you loved the diary.
This is a book I would read and reread. She resonates within me.
If I could give this more than five stars, I would!
Hannah marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Martyna Przybysz
Martyna Przybysz is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2015
Aisha marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
MooTee marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Louise Thomas
Louise Thomas is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2015
Ehmilie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Shelby Taylor
Shelby Taylor marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Beth 'Misselthwaite'
Beth 'Misselthwaite' marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Quantified Chaos
Quantified Chaos marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Bernard marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
  • The Imaginary World of...
  • The Work of a Common Woman: The Collected Poetry of Judy Grahn, 1964-1977
  • Red Hot and Holy: A Heretic's Love Story
  • Living Color: Painting, Writing, and the Bones of Seeing
  • Wounds of Passion: A Writing Life
  • The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • Feminists Theorize the Political
  • Century of Struggle: The Woman's Rights Movement in the United States, Enlarged Edition
  • Havana Real: One Woman Fights to Tell the Truth about Cuba Today
  • Women of the Left Bank
  • Anaïs Nin: A Biography
  • Motherpeace: A Way to the Goddess Through Myth, Art, and Tarot
  • Art Objects: Essays on Ecstasy and Effrontery
  • Learning to Drive: And Other Life Stories
  • Moving Beyond Words: Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking Boundaries of Gender
  • Joe Gould's Secret
  • Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire
French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. Spanning the years from 1931 to 1974, they give an account of one woman's voyage of self-discovery. "It's all right for a woman to be, above all, human. I am a woman first of all." (from The Diary of Anaïs Nin, vol. I, 1966)

Anaïs Nin was largely ignored until the 1960s. Today she is
More about Anaïs Nin...

“I'm talking about equalizing the pressure between outer actions and events which are shattering and devastating to us and then the place where we recompose and reconstruct ourselves, where we finally achieve what Jung called the second birth. The second birth is the one that you can make, and the discovery of that to me was always a great relief. As long as we expect the changes to come only from the outside or from action outside or from political systems, then we are bound to feel helpless, to feel sometimes that reality is bigger and stronger than we are. But if suddenly we begin to feel that there is one person we can change, simultaneously we change many people around us. And as a writer I suddenly discovered the enormous radius of influence that one person can have.” 5 likes
“You must not fear or hold back, count or be a miser with your thoughts and your feelings. It is also true that creation comes from an overflow, so you have to learn to intake, to imbibe, to receive, to nourish yourself, and not be afraid of fullness. The fullness is like a tidal wave which then carries you, sweeps you into experience and writing. Permit yourself to flow and overflow. Allow for the rise in temperature and all the expansions and intensifications. Something is always born of excess. Great art was born of great terror, great loneliness, great inhibitions, instabilities, and it always balances them.” 3 likes