Start by marking “A Woman Speaks: The Lectures, Seminars and Interviews of Anaïs Nin” as Want to Read:
A Woman Speaks: The Lectures, Seminars and Interviews of Anaïs Nin

A Woman Speaks: The Lectures, Seminars and Interviews of Anaïs Nin

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  181 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In this book Anaïs Nin speaks with warmth and urgency on those themes which have always been closest to her: relationships, creativity, the struggle for wholeness, the unveiling of woman, the artist as magician, women reconstructing the world, moving from the dream outward, and experiencing our lives to the fullest possible extent.
Published January 1st 1975 by Swallow Press

To ask other readers questions about A Woman Speaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman Speaks

April
Jun 11, 2013 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel at a disadvantage slightly, having not read any of Nins works. Though this is a truly extraordinary book filled with the powerful views of a remarkably gifted woman, I felt like I was missing out due to the fact that I still haven't read any of her Diary yet. Having said that, A Woman Speaks has only reiterated the fact that I really must make every effort possible to acquire it. Her voice reads both warmly and determinedly and resonates with the utmost delicacy. I've never been much of a ...more
Doublezerodomino
A book I've had on the shelves since 2007 when my grandmother passed, I inherited much of her library and this was among it. She used to talk about Nin and Henry Miller's relationship and collected both of their works. I have not yet read Miller and this was my first foray into Nin; I started with this instead of the collection of diaries to determine whether or not it was worth the exploration.

The book itself was just as it is described, within are collections of Nin's communications segmented
Persephone Abbott
Jul 25, 2014 Persephone Abbott rated it liked it
“Your critics accuse you of being romantic, of living in an ivory tower, of being removed from life, and yet you are saying that you are attracted to those novels which resemble biography because they really do get close to life.” The interviewer puts forth to Nin.

I’ve never favoured Nin’s writing personally, and here, in multiple interviews, she shows brilliance but with such resounding flash that it often fades (in my taste) into blandness, and banality under the guise of feminism. Old femini
Lana Fox
Feb 05, 2013 Lana Fox rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. Nin was an extraordinary thinker and she continues to liberate us from limiting/limited thinking. Every time I find myself worrying about my "career" or "what others think," I return to Nin's writings. Such an empowering philosopher, such a bold, warm voice.
katie
Mar 09, 2014 katie rated it it was amazing
This is a really, really amazing and well-rounded compilation of AN's themes and ideas. Each chapter is dedicated to one theme and is made up of the lecture(s) and follow-up Q & A's. Having read three of the journals so far, I found the Q & A's to be especially helpful because they addressed 99% of the same questions I had about her life ie her lifestyle and economic conditions, advantages of being creative in Paris as opposed to a random small town. Everyone should read this, especially ...more
Vicky
May 07, 2013 Vicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, interviews

^ click "see review" to see image
Y. L
Apr 21, 2013 Y. L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anais Nin was not an unfamiliar name to me as I often come across her quotes on websites I frequently visit. I haven't read any of her works, so it was a pleasant surprise for me to have found this book at a second-hand book stall at my university campus.

This book summarizes several of Anais Nin's lectures at colleges around U.S in the 1970s, as well as a concise interview on her work, inspirations and philosophy on art and life itself.

Nin talks about her childhood and how she coped with poverty
Vikkat
May 13, 2008 Vikkat rated it it was amazing
I think Evelyn Hinz has done an amazing job editing and putting together so many lectures by my beloved author, Anais Nin. I really appreciate her effort to organize them into separate topics, and arrange them in a way resembling an actual lecture, rather than just selecting a few and printing them out. The same has been done to the Q&A section, as I can imagine the same questions were asked frequently.
Anais speaks as a woman indeed, but also, more importantly, as a female artist - she desc
Eli
Jul 21, 2014 Eli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anais Nin scheint eine interessante Persönlichkeit gewesen zu sein, ihre Ansichten und Theorien waren jedenfalls sehr interessant zu lesen und scheinen immernoch aktuell zu sein, allerdings hat mich der stark repetitive Charakter dieser Zusammenstellung von Vorträgen und Interviews am Ende so genervt, dass ich das Buch nicht zu Ende gelesen habe.
Für den Inhalt und die Themen würde ich 5 Sterne vergeben, die Zusammenstellung des Buches verdient nur 2 Sterne.
Warum dieses Buch auch den Untertitel
Lizzi
Apr 19, 2016 Lizzi rated it it was ok
A very philosophical text with a big emphasis on how society should be. It was published in the 70s so a lot of the content is more relevant to that decade than the present one - but there is still a lot to take away from this today. Nin's personal philosophy comes through but a lot of universal issues are discussed, and not just in relation to women. The emphasis on feminism comes from the significance of the Women's Movement at the time of publication. I think it would have a different title t ...more
Ana
Oct 21, 2015 Ana rated it it was amazing
I just enjoyed this book so much! Reading Anaïs I always feel like I'm having a deep conversation with a good old friend.
Sue
Mar 16, 2010 Sue rated it it was amazing
Nin was wonderful at making her listeners and readers think outside the box. No wonder she lived such an extraordinary life! What touches me most is her continual plea that we start seeing our lives as creative works -- she really believed all humans were artists, and I agree.
beck
Jan 11, 2008 beck rated it it was amazing
Reflections on art and creation, living with a sense of adventure, society and individuals, and so much more.
Päivi Brink
Aug 08, 2012 Päivi Brink rated it really liked it
Read this book of essays if her diary is too personal for you, or if you loved the diary.
Jenny
Jan 30, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing
This is a book I would read and reread. She resonates within me.
Bernadette
Sep 07, 2011 Bernadette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
If I could give this more than five stars, I would!
Cary
Cary marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
E. G.
E. G. marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Kasia04
Kasia04 marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Kaitlin
Kaitlin is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2016
Rebecka Nilsson
Rebecka Nilsson marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Jennifer Jordan
Jennifer Jordan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Alexis Wade
Alexis Wade marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Nina Ostrovsky
Nina Ostrovsky marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Sara Swersky
Sara Swersky rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Pooja Pillai
Pooja Pillai marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Inayah
Inayah rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • Living Color: Painting, Writing, and the Bones of Seeing
  • The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America
  • The Imaginary World of...
  • Red Hot and Holy: A Heretic's Love Story
  • Selected Diaries
  • Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire
  • Joe Gould's Secret
  • Learning to Drive: And Other Life Stories
French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. Spanning the years from 1931 to 1974, they give an account of one woman's voyage of self-discovery. "It's all right for a woman to be, above all, human. I am a woman first of all." (from The Diary of Anaïs Nin, vol. I, 1966)

Anaïs Nin was largely ignored until the 1960s. Today she is
More about Anaïs Nin...

“I'm talking about equalizing the pressure between outer actions and events which are shattering and devastating to us and then the place where we recompose and reconstruct ourselves, where we finally achieve what Jung called the second birth. The second birth is the one that you can make, and the discovery of that to me was always a great relief. As long as we expect the changes to come only from the outside or from action outside or from political systems, then we are bound to feel helpless, to feel sometimes that reality is bigger and stronger than we are. But if suddenly we begin to feel that there is one person we can change, simultaneously we change many people around us. And as a writer I suddenly discovered the enormous radius of influence that one person can have.” 6 likes
“In our twenties we have conflicts. We think everything is either-or, black or white: we are caught between them and we lose all our energy in the conflicts. My answer, later on in maturity, was to do them all. Not to exclude any, not to make a choice. I wanted to be everything. And I took everything in, and the more you take in, the more strength you find waiting to accomplish things and to expand your life, instead of the other (which is what we have been taught to do) which is to look for structure and to fear change, above all to fear change. Now I didn't fear change.” 4 likes