Start by marking “A Woman Speaks: The Lectures, Seminars and Interviews of Anaïs Nin” as Want to Read:
A Woman Speaks: The Lectures, Seminars and Interviews of Anaïs Nin

A Woman Speaks: The Lectures, Seminars and Interviews of Anaïs Nin

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In this book Anaïs Nin speaks with warmth and urgency on those themes which have always been closest to her: relationships, creativity, the struggle for wholeness, the unveiling of woman, the artist as magician, women reconstructing the world, moving from the dream outward, and experiencing our lives to the fullest possible extent.
Published January 1st 1975 by Swallow Press

To ask other readers questions about A Woman Speaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman Speaks

April
I feel at a disadvantage slightly, having not read any of Nins works. Though this is a truly extraordinary book filled with the powerful views of a remarkably gifted woman, I felt like I was missing out due to the fact that I still haven't read any of her Diary yet. Having said that, A Woman Speaks has only reiterated the fact that I really must make every effort possible to acquire it. Her voice reads both warmly and determinedly and resonates with the utmost delicacy. I've never been much of a ...more
Persephone Abbott
“Your critics accuse you of being romantic, of living in an ivory tower, of being removed from life, and yet you are saying that you are attracted to those novels which resemble biography because they really do get close to life.” The interviewer puts forth to Nin.

I’ve never favoured Nin’s writing personally, and here, in multiple interviews, she shows brilliance but with such resounding flash that it often fades (in my taste) into blandness, and banality under the guise of feminism. Old femini
Lana Fox
This book changed my life. Nin was an extraordinary thinker and she continues to liberate us from limiting/limited thinking. Every time I find myself worrying about my "career" or "what others think," I return to Nin's writings. Such an empowering philosopher, such a bold, warm voice.
katie
This is a really, really amazing and well-rounded compilation of AN's themes and ideas. Each chapter is dedicated to one theme and is made up of the lecture(s) and follow-up Q & A's. Having read three of the journals so far, I found the Q & A's to be especially helpful because they addressed 99% of the same questions I had about her life ie her lifestyle and economic conditions, advantages of being creative in Paris as opposed to a random small town. Everyone should read this, especially ...more
Vicky

^ click "see review" to see image
Yileen
Anais Nin was not an unfamiliar name to me as I often come across her quotes on websites I frequently visit. I haven't read any of her works, so it was a pleasant surprise for me to have found this book at a second-hand book stall at my university campus.

This book summarizes several of Anais Nin's lectures at colleges around U.S in the 1970s, as well as a concise interview on her work, inspirations and philosophy on art and life itself.

Nin talks about her childhood and how she coped with poverty
Vikkat
I think Evelyn Hinz has done an amazing job editing and putting together so many lectures by my beloved author, Anais Nin. I really appreciate her effort to organize them into separate topics, and arrange them in a way resembling an actual lecture, rather than just selecting a few and printing them out. The same has been done to the Q&A section, as I can imagine the same questions were asked frequently.
Anais speaks as a woman indeed, but also, more importantly, as a female artist - she desc
Lizzi
A very philosophical text with a big emphasis on how society should be. It was published in the 70s so a lot of the content is more relevant to that decade than the present one - but there is still a lot to take away from this today. Nin's personal philosophy comes through but a lot of universal issues are discussed, and not just in relation to women. The emphasis on feminism comes from the significance of the Women's Movement at the time of publication. I think it would have a different title t ...more
Eli
Anais Nin scheint eine interessante Persönlichkeit gewesen zu sein, ihre Ansichten und Theorien waren jedenfalls sehr interessant zu lesen und scheinen immernoch aktuell zu sein, allerdings hat mich der stark repetitive Charakter dieser Zusammenstellung von Vorträgen und Interviews am Ende so genervt, dass ich das Buch nicht zu Ende gelesen habe.
Für den Inhalt und die Themen würde ich 5 Sterne vergeben, die Zusammenstellung des Buches verdient nur 2 Sterne.
Warum dieses Buch auch den Untertitel
Sue
Nin was wonderful at making her listeners and readers think outside the box. No wonder she lived such an extraordinary life! What touches me most is her continual plea that we start seeing our lives as creative works -- she really believed all humans were artists, and I agree.
beck
Reflections on art and creation, living with a sense of adventure, society and individuals, and so much more.
Päivi Brink
Read this book of essays if her diary is too personal for you, or if you loved the diary.
Jenny
This is a book I would read and reread. She resonates within me.
Bernadette
If I could give this more than five stars, I would!
Deb Chittick
Deb Chittick marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Patrice James
Patrice James marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Hend
Hend marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Siân
Siân is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2015
Michèle Busse
Michèle Busse marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Frank Tempone
Frank Tempone marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Stephanie Donohue
Stephanie Donohue marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Solaris
Solaris marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
jojo
jojo marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
sarah
sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • The Work of a Common Woman: The Collected Poetry of Judy Grahn, 1964-1977
  • The Imaginary World of...
  • Wounds of Passion: A Writing Life
  • Red Hot and Holy: A Heretic's Love Story
  • Learning to Drive: And Other Life Stories
  • Feminists Theorize the Political
  • The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America
  • Century of Struggle: The Woman's Rights Movement in the United States, Enlarged Edition
  • Motherpeace: A Way to the Goddess Through Myth, Art, and Tarot
  • Anaïs Nin: A Biography
  • Moving Beyond Words: Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking Boundaries of Gender
  • Women of the Left Bank
  • Art Objects: Essays on Ecstasy and Effrontery
  • Havana Real: One Woman Fights to Tell the Truth about Cuba Today
  • Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire
  • The War on Choice: The Right-Wing Attack on Women's Rights and How to Fight Back
  • Stories and Essays of Mina Loy
French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. Spanning the years from 1931 to 1974, they give an account of one woman's voyage of self-discovery. "It's all right for a woman to be, above all, human. I am a woman first of all." (from The Diary of Anaïs Nin, vol. I, 1966)

Anaïs Nin was largely ignored until the 1960s. Today she is
More about Anaïs Nin...
Delta of Venus Henry and June: From "A Journal of Love"--The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin (1931-1932) Little Birds The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1: 1931-1934 A Spy in the House of Love (Cities of the Interior #4)

“I'm talking about equalizing the pressure between outer actions and events which are shattering and devastating to us and then the place where we recompose and reconstruct ourselves, where we finally achieve what Jung called the second birth. The second birth is the one that you can make, and the discovery of that to me was always a great relief. As long as we expect the changes to come only from the outside or from action outside or from political systems, then we are bound to feel helpless, to feel sometimes that reality is bigger and stronger than we are. But if suddenly we begin to feel that there is one person we can change, simultaneously we change many people around us. And as a writer I suddenly discovered the enormous radius of influence that one person can have.” 5 likes
“In our twenties we have conflicts. We think everything is either-or, black or white: we are caught between them and we lose all our energy in the conflicts. My answer, later on in maturity, was to do them all. Not to exclude any, not to make a choice. I wanted to be everything. And I took everything in, and the more you take in, the more strength you find waiting to accomplish things and to expand your life, instead of the other (which is what we have been taught to do) which is to look for structure and to fear change, above all to fear change. Now I didn't fear change.” 2 likes