Start by marking “Changes” as Want to Read:
Changes

Changes

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  30 reviews
When Joseph's mother comes home, says his father, things are going to change. And almost at once they do - in the weirdest of ways . . .
Published September 25th 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published February 27th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Changes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changes

Shereil
This book is about a young boy who is at home waiting for a big change that his father told him will come when he returns home. While he waits he imagines a number of different objects around the house are various animals instead. He wonders and wonders and in the end the big change turns out to be a new born baby, his little sister. I thought this book was very interesting the way the pictures were so well turned from everyday objects to animals. I think it really showed the vast imagination of ...more
Jacqueline Field
Changes By Anthony Browne

Joseph is a boy who lives with his mother and father. When Joseph is at home one day he tells Joseph that things are going to change when his mother gets home. His father left the house so while he was gone Joseph decided to explore all his favourite and familiar places. He looked in the kitchen and couldn't see any change, he looked in the living room, his bedroom and even outside in the garden but everything seemed the same to him. Joseph couldn't understand what his f
Fatheha Begum
Another Anthony Browne's surreal book,with great imagery and quirky pictures.This book is about a young boy who is waiting for something big to change.His father had told him that something will change before he left the house.as the boy waits in the house alone,he feels everything changes around him. The boy happens to imagine that objects around they house change into animals and other things...
But what is actually going to change?What did the father mean by change?is the boy imagining things
Shanaz Khan
This book is about a boy called Joseph who notices changes around his home. It starts off with Joseph noticing something strange about the kettle, the picture that represents the kettle has a cats tail coming out from the side. As the story goes on Joseph walks around the house and outside to see what he can understand about his father stating that ‘things are going to change’.

There are various picture to demonstrate changes in the house. The pictures would appear funny to a young reader howeve
Mi Ngo
Joseph is anxious as he awaits his father while his picks up Joseph's mother. He told Joseph that things were going to change. Joseph begins to see every day objects change into animals like gorillas and birds, thinking that the animals would be a part of those changes his father talked about. This story tells of a young boy that has a great imagination as he doesn't know about the arrival of his new sibling.

I couldn't really get into this story that much. It didn't seem realistic to me that a f
Sarah Federspiel
Debbie
When mom comes home there will be change ! The boy is seemingly alone all day wondering what this change may be. He imagines cats, snakes, gorillas etc all around the house and garden. He sees familiar things take on a new appearance and then his mom and dad come home and reveal that he has a new brother. Change it would seem can be scary for a child and there is no greater change to family life than the addition of a new brother or sister. I understand that well but I dont think this book deals ...more
Becky
May 22, 2008 Becky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids age 8-10 who don't spook easily!
Shelves: children-and-ya
A young boy at home alone all day watches ordinary household objects turn into animals, body parts, and all manner of strange things. Before leaving the boy at home, his father (who, we're told, is going to pick up the boy's mother) told him everything was going to change.

Throughout the spare text, the boy watches the outlandish metamorphoses taking place around him and wonders, "Is this what my father meant?"

Finally, the boy's parents return home. They've been at the hospital, and the big chang
Livash Ramduth
This is a fantastic story describing the familiar change most children will go through, getting the news that they are going to be a brother or sister however it is told from the perspective of the child. it begins with the dad leaving the house explaining to the boy that 'things will be change upon his return' - this sparks a great deal of perceived changes around the house and garden for the boy. He see's sofa's change to gorillas, a kettle to a cat and even rope turned into an elephant’s trun ...more
Jonathan Dowell
This book demonstrates the true power of building up tension. Throughout, Browne illustrates absurd and fantastical objects such as a cat combined with a kettle (a cattle), a bird combined with a shoe, a monkey combined with a chair, and an alligator combined with a banana. Especially after reading books with similar themes, such as Chris Van Allsburg's "Jumanji", the reader is left wondering what the cause of all this madness is because humans, as a general rule, tend to prefer order and reason ...more
Audra Sein
Changes is a picture book written and illustrated by Anthony Browne.

It tells the story of Joseph Kaye who is left to wonder what his father meant when he told Joesph that "things were going to change" as he left to go pick up Joseph's mother.

The illustrations depict the wild imaginings of Joseph as he tries to understand what his dad meant by "things were going to change." He knows that things would be changing...but what things? "Things" could refer to absolutely anything. The surreal nature
Asma
Changes by Anthony Browne is an interesting book. It deals with the concept of change or something new or unknown. It is about a boy called Joseph who can’t quite work out what is different. His dad mentioned to him earlier that things are going to change so he spends the whole day trying to work out what it is. In the end he finds out that what actually changed was that he has a new baby sister.

What is great about this book is that it makes children think and realize that change is always happe
Fritzi Barrera
I liked the book. The illustrations were very detailed. Little by little you start seeing the changes the little boy was "seeing". Some pages had borders, and others were only white blank pages with the picture or text in the middle. There was a lot of white spaces and maybe it was left to make the reader use his/her imagination or make the reader more curious. Everything the little boy looks at turns into some type of animal. Even the t.v next to the "gorilla" couch has animals and they change ...more
Lindsay
Logan Spears
Changes by Anthony Browne was a great story about a young boys curiosity. He was told by his father things were changing and left it at that. The young boy Joseph was trying to find out what he meant by changes by looking at everything around him. He started imagining subtle changes in everyday objects because he was searching for what his father meant by changes. When the rest of his family came home he finally realized what he meant when he met his baby sister. The illustrations did a fabulous ...more
Fiona
May 30, 2014 Fiona rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pgce
'Changes', is a picture book which is written and illustrated by Anthony Browne. The book is surreal to say the least. The story starts off with a young boy whose father is about to leave the house and his father announces to the child that there is going to be some changes. Instantly the child's mind begins to wander and he begins to notice very odd goings on. Because of what his father says Joseph spends the whole day trying to work out what it is? In the end he finds out that what actually ch ...more
Akilah
"Things are going to change" said Joseph's father and that is exactly what happened. Joseph witnesses a variety of things in his household that were not what they use to be. Cats, gorillas and other animals appeared in Joseph's house which was quite strange.
Nonetheless, as the story progresses, the change that Joseph's father was referring to was his new baby sister!
To an extent, this is a relatable story as many boys and girls are introduced to new editions of their families and will need to e
Elizabeth Smitheram
I enjoyed this book. it was an easy read with great, colorful pictures. The storyline is about a boy whose father leaves and tells him "things are going to change". The boy starts imagining everything in his house turning into animals, or foods-- because he thinks this is the change that his father is talking about. But his father comes home he is holding a new baby! Then, the boy realizes that the baby is the change his father is talking about. I think this book would be great for elementary st ...more
Artemis
The theme is growing-up.
Samantha
This book deals with a child imagining the changes that are going to occur with the arrival of a new sibling.

I didnt like this book at all, and my little one didn't have any enthusiasm for it either.
In short i dont think it deals with the subject matter very well, the child has been left home alone with no idea what is going on. He's basically imagining all kinds of scary scenarios and is dealing with it all alone.
If i was pregnant this definately wouldn't be the book i chose to read to my son!
Fameeda
This book is about a boy called Joseph who was told by his father one morning that things are going to change. He did not know what his father meant so he started seeing things like a kettle made from a cat and a crocodile sofa! At the end of the book his father comes home with Joseph's new baby sister. I feel this book is a little bizarre but it allows children to use their imagination and would be a good 'carpet time' read.
Susie
I read some really great books right before this one, so maybe that's why it didn't impress me as being that great. Or maybe it's the illustrations, they weren't my favorite so far and I'm finding that can make or break a book. I commend the author for trying to show how change seems so foreign that we imagine things to be greater and more disruptive than they are and that for children this is especially true.
Leah
This book is about a young boy who is waiting for something big to change because his father said there was something to expect when he comes home. As the day goes on, objects around they house change into animals and other things... until he father comes home... Hmmm?
Cute story for 3-5 grade students!
Brandy
Spent part of the day yesterday discovering a whole stack of Anthony Browne books I didn't know existed (I first loved his work in Gorilla, which was a gem I found in the now sadly gone discount bookstore Afterwords in Ann Arbor). I think the illustrations in this one were my favorite.
Linda
When young Joseph's father said, "Things are going to change," Joseph sees all sorts of surreal changes happen in his home. I love Anthony Browne's books and this one is also fun and imaginative. The large size of this book really draws you in to the great illustrations.
A young boy is warned by his father that things are about to change. As the boy ponders the remark, he notices the tea kettle turn into a cat, a gorilla appear from an armchair, and other bizarre optical illusions. Fun twist at the end.
Lily
This book is about cups turning into cats and things turning into animals its really funny! but stupid!
Lisa (scarlet21)
Another simply told, gorgeously illustrated tale that gets right to the nub. Anthony Browne, I love you!
Jax Goss
As always, Anthony Browne is warm, brilliant, surprising, charming.
Beverly
Anthony Browne is master of the surrealistic picture book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bad Day at Riverbend
  • Unlovable
  • You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum
  • Five Minutes' Peace
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • Rules of Summer
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • Cave Baby

Anthony Browne, a Hans Christian Andersen Medalist, is the author-illustrator of many acclaimed books for children, including SILLY BILLY and LITTLE BEAUTY. He lives in Kent, England.
More about Anthony Browne...
Voices in the Park Gorilla Little Beauty One Gorilla Piggybook