Start by marking “Manna and Mercy: A Brief History of God's Unfolding Promise to Mend the Entire Universe” as Want to Read:

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  7 reviews
With imagination, clarity, humor, and cartoons, Erlander retells the Bible's story.
Published July 26th 2011 by Augsburg Fortress Publishers (first published October 23rd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Manna and Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manna and Mercy

Jane
Yes, it looks like a kid's comic book-all hand written--with cutesy little sketches. But, read all of the intro and small print.
He warns you that in his opinion (that I completely share), everyone who approaches the Bible comes with their own unique "glasses"--no literalism for him. He also let's you know that he's decided that Jesus is the way that works for him.
Get all of the high points and biggest elements of the Old Testament, the history of the "child-people" needing constant education a
Pamela
I recommend this as an introduction to the bible and understanding how social justice and Christianity go hand and hand... despite the bigoted rhetoric of the right.
Sherri Williams
I absolutely loved this book! It should be required reading. It is challenging and meaningful. I'll be reading over and over.
Selys
This books helps adults understand the Bible like children, but it is not a book intended for little kids.
Jeran Marchbanks
Deep hope rooted imagination for all ages.
Sam Lonberg
I like Erlander's illustrations and light-hearted approach, although he seems to take the material seriously enough. This would be a good book for older children as well as new members of the faith.
Rachel
This is a very accessible, well-thought-out version of the gospel. I love the pictures and the style. I definitely see myself using this in ministry someday, with kids, youth, or adults. It's that versatile.
Teresa
Teresa is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2015
Nancy Attey
Nancy Attey marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Michael C
Michael C marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Carolyn Swanson
Carolyn Swanson marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Tina
Tina added it
Feb 08, 2015
Ed Mcnulty
Ed Mcnulty marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Sarah added it
Feb 05, 2015
Jill H
Jill H marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Jeremy Abrego
Jeremy Abrego marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Ye Yao
Ye Yao marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Dondra
Dondra marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Bronwyn
Bronwyn is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2014
Scholasticah Nganda
Scholasticah Nganda marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Elaine Hall
Elaine Hall marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Baptized, We Live: Lutheranism As a Way of Life A Place for You: My Holy Communion Book Let the Children Come Tales of the Pointless People It's all about love: The Christian journey : a Lutheran perspective