Start by marking “How I Survived Being a Girl” as Want to Read:
How I Survived Being a Girl

How I Survived Being a Girl

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  46 reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. Possessing strong opinions and beliefs, Carolyn seems to have a hold on the world and knows her place in it. But the summer before she enters sixth-grade, everything seems to change as she enters a new stage in her life.
Published September 1st 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published March 13th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about How I Survived Being a Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Survived Being a Girl

Kaelyn
How I Survived Being a Girl was my favorite book when I was younger, and I only read it once. So when I found it in my stacks and stacks of books, I had to pick it up again. I scarcely even remembered what it was about, and since I didn't really want to pick up anything too hefty before school started, I just figured I'd give this one a quick reread.

I have found that this book still stands as one of my favorites, despite my age difference (I was about six or seven when I first read it, compare
Kassandra
I sort of stole my copy from the hospital a few years ago. Anyway, this is such a cute book about a full blown tomboy and her adventures and tips on how not to be a girly girl. It's more geared toward 10-12 year olds but I'd read it even if I was fifty. Caroline is such a tough little fireball who lives her brothers and her family and get friend. "How I survived being a girl"bus a simple read that still has a lot of heart and humorously shows just how hard i
You can have it when you're a girl. I
Amy Holiday
I loved this title, had to pick it up. What a fun idea. The concept was one I am trying to explore in my own writing, so it was great timing to discover this.

Carolyn is the only girl in the neighborhood--well, the only girl that doesn't wear mary janes, and the only girl who gets into dirt fights and likes spying on the crazy neighbors with her brothers Jack and Allen. Only, Jack is too old and doesn't want to play with her, and tagging along with her younger brother isn't as much fun anymore. W
Cordelia Dinsmore
The writing was fine, I just didn't find a plot. The author takes the reader on a short journey through a summer with a tomboy who loves her brothers, but would prefer to be a brother, herself. It's more like a diary, but it isn't written in diary form. Just little everyday snippets of her average life and how she relates in her family and her neighborhood. I kept waiting for some big conflict to happen, so that she could make herself stand out from the rest of the crowd.
Waffle...♥
Wierd... but good! I probally would have enjoyed this better if I was in 6th but... never too old for anything! (Well... almost anything.) My sister showed me this book because she knew I liked the book Flipped and this was from the same author. So I thought, alright! Let's see if I'd like this book as much. It was very cute and I really loved how the author was able to tell a tale through the mind of a 6th grader. It was so real! I can still remember how I used to think like that... another ama ...more
Dana
Jenna K
The best word to describe “How I Survived Being a Girl” is desirable, because all of the activities that happened in the book could actually happen in real life and that’s what I think makes it so interesting. Personally, I liked how the ending turned out because all Carolyn really needed was a girl in her life that’s why she was so overjoyed when her sister was born. What makes this story so interesting is how Carolyn the main character is telling the story in first person and showing what its ...more
Kayla Warner
I remember reading this book in middle school and I LOVED it!! I now, of course, don't remember all the details but I remember it being quite funny and I have kept it in my collection to this day because I enjoyed it so much! I remember liking it much better than "Flipped" which I believe is also by this author.
Danielle Spencer
AUTHOR PRESENTATION
The main character, twelve year old, Carolyn is struggling with self-identity like many girls of that age. She doesn't want to be a girl, but sometimes has a hard time fitting in with the boys. In the novel, she experiences her first crush, and enjoys the arrival of a baby sister. In the end, she has learned to be comfortable with who she is. In my author presentation, I speculated the value of such realistic stories. I think reading a story like this could help young people b
storystereo
I don't remember this book too much, but I remember liking it quite a bit, because it was different and had a good narrator.
Rebecca
How I survived being a girlby Wendelin Van Draanen is a wonderful book about a young tomboy. Draanen's wit will have you laughing at every page. Her ability to incoroprate young love is spectacular. You will love every time Carolyn opens her mouth waiting for what comes out next. This young tomboy life changes from playing with the neighbors to schoolgirl chrushes. set in summer time you'll remember when you were young playing with your siblings and neighbors. Yuo'll wish you could join carolyn ...more
Isabella Sanchez
How i Survived being a Girl was alright. it was action packed and fun to read about the life of a girl who doubts the good stuff about her gender. I just wish the book was longer; it ended when there could of been a lot more to write about.
Jackie
How I Survived Being a Girl is a very poorly written, sorry-excuse for a coming-of-age story about 12-year-old Carolyn who acts like a two-year-old. Sandwiched between two brothers, she thinks she should act like the boys and shuns dresses, frilly bows, and dolls. But, when neighbor Charlie starts paying some attention to her, she thinks maybe being a girl is not so bad.

Not worth the time it takes to read it, even though is a quick read.
Faye
This was my favorite book when I was younger. Fantastic. Wonderfully written, wonderful character, wonderful everything. I read it over and over and over. So good. This is a girl character in a book aimed for like, elementary school students, and she kicks the shit out of most of the current YA girl characters. This book is fun, it represents childhood in a very real way, and it doesn't patronize the reader.
Kathie
I think I liked it better than the kids did, but Wendelin must be about my age.
Snorkle
This book was okay. It wasn't as good as some of the other books that I've read by Wendelin Van Draanen. The plot was pretty entertaining, but it really didn't have much sustenance. I probably wouldn't recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Wendolyn
Feb 04, 2012 Wendolyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendolyn by: Abby
Shelves: youth
I liked the map of the neighborhood. Even though I always imagine things myself, it was fun to have the drawing for reference. It brought back memories of how a neighborhood used to be, and how it should be. I enjoyed reading a book written in a child's honest, innocent, insightful perspective.
Samantha Triduum
I adored this book when I was younger, I read and reread it until I got sick of it, which rarely happened. This girl reminded me of myself in a way! I fell in love with Carolyn and the rest of the ragtag gang. I even did a book report on it!
Ariel
I read it when I was about 11 or so and I loved it. I'm in my twenties now and I still love it.
It's a sweet short read about a young girl with two brothers who just wants to be accepted by the boys and liked my one in particular.
Robin
April and I tried to read this together. Kind of boring. Every chapter the main character was somewhere else, doing something else. Hard to follow. We didn't finish the book. We read a couple chapters but just couldn't finish the story.
Cynthia Leto
I enjoyed reading Draanen's book. She made it playfully obvious that girls were treated differently in the past. Carolyn's character was fun to follow and the situations she ends up in are comical.
Lessa
Boring. As a not so ex-tomboy, I was excited to read about the trouble reconciling the arrival of hormones with being a tomboy. Sadly, I couldn't get past page 50 to find out.
Pooja Dimba
This is good. But it is not as good as Wendelin Van Draanen's newest books. Or even the newer ones. It's told in 1st person. I recommend this book to people ages 10-12.
Tori Babcock
A girl tell her story of being a girl. The story follows her through the adventures she encounters. we see these experiences through the eyes of a girl.
One of my favorite books from when i was younger. I could relate to Carolyn in many ways. I've read it more times than i can count.
Lindsey

This was a funny book that i read in 5th grade about a tomboy. I don't think it applies to my life at all, but it was funny. :)
Vidarti
this book is reall intresting to me because of the charcters and the way the story goes..it reall gets my attention
Nicole
Jun 09, 2009 Nicole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: q4
this book was okay. it talked about life's hardships and what girls go through. it is an pretty okay book!
Raeanne
Nov 12, 2008 Raeanne rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th Graders
Recommended to Raeanne by: My 4th Grade Teacher
I liked it.. I think.. but it couldn't have been that good if I can't really remember much about it. =P
The voice of Carolyn is one of my favorites. Not much action, but a good not-much-time read.
If you have read this book could you give a description? 1 3 Jul 07, 2012 10:02AM
  • Self-Portrait (Three Girls in the City, #1)
  • Journey of the Sparrows
  • Gentle Annie
  • Jimi & Me
  • The Mouse of Amherst: A Tale of Young Readers
  • Help! I'm Trapped In Obedience School
  • Cat in the Crypt (Animal Ark Hauntings #2)
  • The Story of a Bad Boy
  • Ghost Class (Ghostville Elementary #1)
  • A Girl Called Al
Van Draanen was born in Chicago, Illinois. One of her early influences was Dandelion Wine . According to the author, the book was "about the magic of growing up and [it] reminded me of all the wonderful mischief my brothers and I got into when we were young." Bradbury's work inspired Van Draanen to write How I Survived Being a Girl, which was published by HarperCollins in 1997. Other early influe ...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...
Flipped The Running Dream Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief Runaway Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)