Start by marking “Moo, Baa, La La La!” as Want to Read:
Moo, Baa, La La La!

Moo, Baa, La La La!

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  20,969 ratings  ·  377 reviews
Serious silliness for all ages. Artist Sandra Boynton is back and better than ever with completely redrawn versions of her multi-million selling board books. These whimsical and hilarious books, featuring nontraditional texts and her famous animal characters, have been printed on thick board pages, and are sure to educate and entertain children of all ages.
Published 1982 by Simon & Schuster Childrens Books

To ask other readers questions about Moo, Baa, La La La!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moo, Baa, La La La!

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonGuess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratneyBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Books for one-year-old children
3rd out of 170 books — 129 voters
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pat the Bunny by Dorothy KunhardtWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Books for a Baby Shower!
9th out of 318 books — 253 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
It’s a Sandra Boynton book, so it’s almost not worth reviewing. You know it’s going to be 5 stars. However, this Boynton book stands out enough from the already-exalted pack that I think it’s worth a review.

Basically it’s a poem of animals and the sounds they make. “A cow says moo, a sheep says baa” until you get to the surprising line “three singing pigs say la la la.” Hilarity ensues. Really!

Like all Boynton books, it’s rhythmic so my son enjoys the narrative, and he can participate in the rea
Ed Mcfadden
A moving narrative that highlights the circle of life in understandable, free-market terms while placing a sunnier patina on the darker side of the meat and poultry industry.
Bruce M
Jul 24, 2011 Bruce M rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents, Children
My wife and I consider Moo, Baa, La La La to be our daughter Charlotte's first favourite book. There was a point in time, not so long ago, when the only sounds that would calm her down in the evening (or on a bad car ride, or after a fall, or any other general sookfest) were my wife or I reciting this book. Now that Charlotte's a little bit older (15 months at the time of this writing) she still loves the book, and has taken to finishing the sentences as we read along (or recite from memory).

Our
Olivia
I read this book aloud several times a day to babies and toddlers! I have it memorized; I can grunt this animal noise poem on command. And I'm getting better giving classes (yes classes?!) to drooling, curious babes, some who can't even sit up on their own. You'd be amazed how under 1 year olds can and will sit in a circle and pay attention and interact. We certainly have to keep busy on the 10 1/2 hour nursery shift.

"Moooo, says the cow. Baaa, says the sheep. La, la, la, says three singing pig
Kirsten Mellin
I don't know how Sandra Boynton does it, but I always enjoy her books. I wish I could pin point what it is about her writing style that I just love. Even though I can't put my finger on exactly why I love these books here are some things in her books I enjoy; the rhyming is always fun, the animal characters make me smile, the books seem to be just the right length for toddlers,and the stories really are just excellent.

My oldest daughter has a 40% delay in speech and the phrasing in this book is
Camille Ryckman
Moo, Baa, La La La by Sandra Boynton
Brief Summary: This is a simple board book with wonderful illustrations and throws the reader for a loop when it comes to the sound pigs make.
Annotation: At the end, there is an open ended question for the reader which adds to the charm and interactiveness of making animal sounds. By asking the open ended question, it allows for reader and those being read to, to have an on going conversation.
Age appropriateness: 0-4 years old
Connection to 6 early literacy
midnightfaerie
We love Sandra Boynton and this was no exception. Adorable illustrations paired along side a cute story about animals, it's a big favorite for all my kids, but especially my 3 yr old twins. We also love books that rhyme, so that was an added plus for us. Great book.
Alicia
A cow says moo, a sheep says baa, three singing pigs say la la la... oh god I think I can recite this book from memory. It is cute though for a toddler and not so mind numbing as books for this age tend to be,
Samantha Penrose
This book has cute illustrations and introduces kids to animals and the sounds that they make.
Sturdy and fun.
Tatiana
Nothing has made my baby smile and laugh so far as much as this book.
Kat
A really cute way to go through animal noises with a little kid.
Andrew
A true masterpiece. It warms my heart with joy.
Suki
Outstanding! I could not put this book down.
Karl
Random silliness.
Drew Graham
Animals make many sounds in this book, some of which may or may not align with the sounds they make in nature!

I haven't read her entire library or anything, but I still think this is one of Sandra Boynton's best. Despite the seemingly incongruous inclusion of a pair of rhinoceros among a bunch of more domesticated animals (but it's quirky so it works!), it's fun to read aloud to The Boy, and see a lot of animals and make a lot of fun sounds. A colorful, interactive book equals a happy little rea
David
Moo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton is a board book about animals and the sounds they make.

Boynton's trademark silly animals are the focus in this tale of animal sounds. Animals pictured are cow, sheep, pigs, rhinoceroses, cat, kitten, duck, horse, plus little and big dogs. The Special 30th Anniversary Edition is a bit larger, all the better to enjoy the images. My favorite images are cow, singing pigs, dogs & cats, and quiet.

Boynton's simple, funny, rhyming text uses just forty three wor
Jen
I'd give this 17 stars if I could, because the kid LOVES it. She giggles like crazy when I read it to her, or even when she looks at it herself. I never really thought about Sandra Boynton much when I was a children's librarian, and now I'm kind of sad because this is fun! This will be a keeper. I only wish I could remember who bought this for her. We've marked most of them, but not this one.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
This one just cracks me up with delightfully giggly lines, bright pastels, and a ridiculous premise. The style of storyline is about perfect for my daughter, as it doesn't require understanding the pictures, covers the simple concept of animals sounds, breaks enough with routine/tradition to interest me, and will eventually provide a point of interaction once she starts talking.
Marsha
This is my favorite first book for older babies and toddlers. I always give it as a baby gift, along with Boynton's "Going to Bed Book," "Hippos Go Berserk," and "But Not the Hippopotamus."
they have assed the test as favorites for 2 granddaughters and the first book the older one could "read" to her little sister.
Wendy Daniel
Sing this song while reading this book, and you will have a captive audience of babies and toddlers (through age 2). The illustrations are clever, but the song and sounds are what makes this book worthwhile. Print awareness and phonological awareness can both be introduced at a young age with this book. Boynton board books are very popular with babies.
Lindsay Balcar
This picture book is intended for nursery aged kids. It teaches children the sounds animals make in a fun and predictible way. I really like this book because it is fun. I have read it so much that I now have it memorized. The pictures are cute and simple but the kids know what is coming up next by what animal is on the page. The only thing I don't understand is that at the end of the book she says " it's quiet now, what do you say" and I never understood what she meant by that. Like what sound ...more
Michelle
I loved this book in English and I love it in Spanish, too! I still have it memorized (my babies are 13 and 16!). I wish I had had the Spanish version when they were little. Maybe they'll let me read it to them just once...?
The illustrations go hand in hand with the text. The sentences are short and to the point. The humor is perfect for the intended audience as are the hilariously drawn characters.
If you haven't read it, you're missing out on one of Boynton's best!
Kelly Woodward
My ten-month-old son and I had a wonderful time reading this one together! He's at the age where he likes to mimic the sounds he hears. He really enjoyed hearing me make the various animal sounds, and I was delighted when he tried to imitate them.

The illustrations are simple, which is perfect; there's just enough on each page to keep him interested without being overwhelmed.

This was a great opportunity to be silly with my son, quacking back and forth amid lots of giggles...but it was also a nice
Rachel
My son loves to "read" this book. He's still non-verbal, but he'll turn to the first page and say "Mmmmm" then to the sheep and say "bah bah bah." It's really cute to watch him "read" it.
Kelli
I read this book over and over to my cranky baby boys. I loved the style so much I decorated the nursery in the theme. I still have the wall hanging tucked away in my closet.
Soham Chakraborty
I picked it up because my niece had left it on the couch before going to bed. A little kids book with nice illustrations and rhythmic animal sound recitations.
Shannon
One of my boys favorites when they were little..."three singing pigs say la, la, la...no no you say that isn't right pigs say oink all day and night":)
Anastacio
Fun we loved it

overall great book for my six month old. Will buy more soon. deff recommend for any parent wanting to get a head start
Kaethe
This is one of the board books by Boynton that babies LOVE. It's funny and silly, and gives the reader a chance to really play with the voices.
Lisa
Mar 04, 2014 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: baby
My baby loves this board book. The pages are different colors, he can easily turn the pages, he loves the sounds we make to mimic the animals.
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Quiet Loud
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • Hug
  • Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
  • Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
  • You Are My Sunshine
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
The Going-To-Bed Book Barnyard Dance But Not the Hippopotamus Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books) Pajama Time!