Start by marking “Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)

Dirty Martini (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #4)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  5,847 Ratings  ·  400 Reviews
Homicide Lieutenant Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels is in some serious trouble. Her boyfriend wants to get married. Her partner wants to transfer to another department. Her dead father may not be dead after all. And a brilliant sociopath known as the Chemist is poisoning Chicago’s food supply, killing hundreds of people.

Jack is put in charge of the case. But how do you catch som
Audio CD
Published July 3rd 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published June 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Martini, please sign up.

WendyB I would suggest reading the Jack Daniels series in order if at all possible. Each book builds a bit on the previous one, and you'll understand the…moreI would suggest reading the Jack Daniels series in order if at all possible. Each book builds a bit on the previous one, and you'll understand the characters and their interactions better if you do.(less)

Mary Beth
Dec 10, 2016 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really loving the series of J. A. Konrath’s series featuring Lieutenant Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels. They are all named after drinks -WHISKEY SOUR, BLOODY MARY, RUSTY NAIL and DIRTY MARTINI which is the fourth book. I am not mentionng the others since I havent read them yet. These aren’t lighthearted stories about wasting away in Margaritaville. The novels are set in Chicago, and the crimes and its perpetrators are dark indeed. The last book I read several people thought it was a cozy. No th ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
What I'm having here is another one of those "here we go again" moments. I've read all these books (up to this one I mean) and like them...in a way. Still I can't bring myself to rate any of them higher than 3 (I'd really say almost 3.5 but of course we don't have half star system). Why?

There are things in each book that either annoy, bother or frustrate me. Sometimes I'm so frustrated I think I may need to double up on my blood pressure medication.

First, while I like the character of Jack, and
Luffy
Jun 15, 2015 Luffy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A paint-by-numbers yarn can be a literary book, or an escapist one. A run of the mill book can supersede its unambitious strain by alternating verisimilitude and the unlikely. This duet of prerequisites was fulfilled to my approval. Things happen in this series. Even if some of the changes snapped back to square one, the good was done, because the real bummer is staying motionless. There are changes and consequences. The pacing of this story is achieved through the sheer single minded aim of th
Toni Osborne
Apr 11, 2014 Toni Osborne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 4, in the “Jack” Daniels Mystery series

I am fast becoming a huge fan of this series. As in the previous novels, the story unfolds at a good clip, kept me on the edge of my seat with nail biting action, subtle suspense and a page turning thrill ride till the very last page. If you haven’t read the previous installments no need to worry, you will not get lost in the back story the little there is is well balanced to put everyone at easy and be comfortable with the characters and their interac
Monnie
Dec 30, 2011 Monnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another of the "can't put it down" Konrath books, although I'll continue to say it's hard to believe the characters are able to withstand so much physical abuse (especially at their ages) and plod on almost as usual. But these books do keep you on the edge of your seat till the very end - I think I have yet to take more than two days to finish one on my Kindle (after Christmas, my Kindle Fire), and I don't have all that much time to spend reading. And almost as an aside, like Janet Evanovich in ...more
Vicki Willis
Dec 23, 2016 Vicki Willis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another laugh out loud, action packed read about homicide detective Jack Daniels. This once involved poisoning the food and drink while on a revenge mission. It was a fast exciting read with the usual characters, including Herb, Harry and Latham. There were some new ones too, some lasting longer than others. This series is quick and fun to read. 5 stars for me!
Lauren
Dirty Martini
4 Stars

A brilliant yet sociopathic killer calling himself The Chemist is targeting the people of Chicago by poisoning various food sources around the city. As the death toll rises, Lieutenant Jack Daniels has her hands not only with the investigation but also with the men in her life: her boyfriend, Latham, who wants a commitment, her partner, Herb, who wants a transfer, and even her father who may not be dead after all.

Although the bodies do pile up, this installment is not nearly
Tonya Smith
I loved it
Maureen DeLuca
Mar 12, 2017 Maureen DeLuca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 4th in the Jack Daniels series and just as good as books 1-3 --- If you haven't yet picked up this series- it won't disappoint you at all---- But,, I will say this- as in all the Jack Daniels series so far- They are NOT for the faint of heart!
Ami
Jerry
Jul 05, 2016 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We’ve now read the first five of these Chicago police Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels tales, with “Dirty” being the fourth in what is currently a 10-book set. Our heroine, and the tenor of these police procedurals, reminds one of Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum escapades, except that Daniels is more competent and the plots are more significant and dangerous. But humor and suspense combine to divert and entertain when we need a break from our heavier “thrillers”.

In this story, a determined and cl
Laurie
Mar 25, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dirty Martini, book 4 in the Jack Daniels series, was my favorite. After a bit of a disappointment with Rusty Nail, Konrath is back in great form with this story. Chicago is being terrorized by the Chemist, a criminal using poisons to kill at random. When the task force is assembled, Jack finds herself in the lead- with one small drawback. Her partner Herb has requested and received a transfer out of homicide. Working on her own, Jack must find the Chemist before the casualties reach catastrophi ...more
Quillracer
Jun 18, 2013 Quillracer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
Again, Konrath opens the book with an introduction that kind of gives you a warning about what's ahead. In this case, it didn't distract me from the main story line as the one in Rusty Nail did.

This book has four premises relating to the antagonist I always have a hard time buying into:
1/ He has the money and other resources to obtain everything needed for his twisted plan.
2/ He is so thorough in his planning he has every possible contingency covered.
3/ He never makes a mistake.
4/ He constantly
Kirsten *Make Margaret Atwood Fiction Again!"
I really enjoyed this one. It was even funnier than the last 3 and had a very inventive criminal. Inventive and dedicated. A poisoner who is so dedicated he ends up collecting every known toxin.

Even better Jack's love interest is in intensive care for most of this book, thereby reducing the interpersonal relationships that are this author's bete noir. Can't wait for the next one!
Jim
Another fun read from Konrath. Jack just keeps getting tougher all the time & has the competition to match. This case was interesting & scary. It could happen all too easily. I look forward to the next!
Susan
Jun 03, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Chicago The Chemist gas started his campaign - tampering with the food in various outlets - putting poisons into the foods. It's up to Chicago police Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels and her team to track down the killer.
A fast paced and enjoyable mystery with some laughs.
Kristen
Mar 14, 2017 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-borrowed, 2017
A serial poisoner was a nice change of pace from murder. It was less gory, too, although there were some graphic details. This series has been consistently solid
Chris Lowry
Jun 23, 2016 Chris Lowry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I did something really neat today. I got an email from BOOKSCREAM and clicked on the link inside to download a copy of JA Konrath's book, DIRTY MARTINI. He was doing a free promo to find new readers, and although I have read several of his books, this one was not one of the 71 or so he has published on Amazon.
I sent it to my tablet, and grabbed a couple of other free books from folks I didn't know to try out later. I am always on the hunt for new authors that I like, especially if they have a se
David
Nov 08, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Okay, am I tired of Kornath's detective running into criminal masterminds? Yes. Was this one a bit different than the first three? Yes.. just enough to keep me tuned in to the further adventures of Lt. Jaqueline (Jack) Daniels and her gang of offbeat characters. In this segment, Jack is after a guy who calls himself the chemist and is poisoning food, etc. with botulism and setting traps for the police that include chemical warfare and even bombs. We finally find a villain with a reason to kill o ...more
Nick Kelly
Jul 29, 2010 Nick Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author J.A. Konrath knows exactly what he’s doing.

With three great rounds under his belt already, Konrath steps up to the tee box the way Tiger Woods does on a Sunday, and hits the longest, straightest drive anyone could expect. Dirty Martini is the fourth installment in the Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels detective series. The Chicago Homicide Detective has previously gone toe-to-toe with serial killers, psychopaths and revenge artists. This time around, she’s matching wits with a serial poisoner ca
Christy
Jan 31, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Homicide Lieutenant Jack Daniels has plenty on her mind. Her boyfriend just proposed; her partner’s been transferred, at his request, to Robbery; and she finds a letter from her mother telling her that her dad isn’t dead after all. To make matters worse, a psychopath who calls himself the Chemist is going around Chicago poisoning food supplies and people are dropping like flies. Jack’s tagged to lead the task force and ultimately becomes targeted by the Chemist. She manages to survive several at ...more
Dee
Jan 18, 2011 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grade: A
Summary from the Book:

Plus: Jack Daniels is one of the hardest, most admirable heroines in crime fiction today, and I find myself attached to her fast-paced, manic action-fill
Tracy
This is by far my favorite of the series. I was totally enamored with this Dirty Martini. Jack and Harry were so awesome and the story had just enough excitement to have me sitting on the edge of my seat. I did not want to put it down and when I had to I thought about what was happening while I wasn't reading.

I am off now to start Fuzzy Navel. Konrath says the is the best one he has written so hopefully it will surpass Dirty Martini although I find that hard to believe. There have been many not
Barbara Z.
Jun 11, 2011 Barbara Z. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to read a Joe Konrath book that I don't love. The Jack Daniels series, of which this is the 4th, MUST be read in order, but are so fun and easy to read that I'm having a wonderful time devouring them on my Kindle. I think Lt. Jaqueline "Jack" Daniels is my second favorite series, after Repairman Jack (something in a name?) by F. Paul Wilson. And a Wilson/Konrath collaboration introduced me to Konrath in the first place!

If you enjoy wild and wacky crime fiction, Carl Hiaasen, Robert Cr
Mylene
May 11, 2013 Mylene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Konrath/Kilborn fans and anyone who is looking for a new horror/thriller writer to try.
Shelves: kilborn-konrath
Another Hit!!!! When I first started reading the 4th book in the Jack Daniels series, I thought I was going to be disappointed with the villain. How wrong was I? Konrath has created another page-turning thrill ride. All your favorite characters have returned in this novel to help Jack save the day. The only negatives for me were that I still don't buy into Latham Conger as the man for Jack, and I found the capture of the villain to be a little lacking after such an adventure throughout the book. ...more
Jared
Aug 21, 2009 Jared rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read Konrath before, and picked this one up at the store on a whim even though it isn't the first in the series. I'm glad I did; I had no trouble getting to know and like the characters, and there was no feeling of having jumped in at the middle.

The mystery was solid, and having adopted Chicago as my town more than 20 years ago, I always enjoy Chicago settings when they're done well (Konrath does it well). I'm looking forward to starting the series at the beginning.
Michele Mai
Jul 03, 2014 Michele Mai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, a great JD book from Konrath. As always, my biggest beef is how much time Konrath spends on describing everyone's attire. I know that's petty and it doesn't take away from enjoying the stories. Jack has some seriously good luck and I psoitively love Harry McGlade's character. Can't wait to start reading Fuzzy Navel #5 in the series.
Yolanda
Jul 25, 2016 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacqueline is dealing with the chemist in this story. The chemist is quite the mass murderer, Jack's boyfriend wants to get married and her partner wants to change departments. This one had many laugh out loud parts!
Jacqueline King
Amazing. Love a writer who can come up with new, exciting ways to kill people. Not as gory as the previous three, but still action-packed and hilarious as ever. But seriously, how does Jack find every fire hydrant in Chicago to park in front of?
LLona Cunningham
Have to quit without finishing. The story is good, and I am a fan of protagonist Jack Daniels. But the book's formatting (fancy characters at the top of each chapter) conflicting with Kindle's text-to-speech has worn me out. I need to move forward to one that works.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Dirty Martini 1 3 Sep 30, 2013 08:55PM
  • Locked Doors (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite #2)
  • Truck Stop
  • Timecaster
  • Foul Play (Sofie Metropolis, #3)
  • Black Jasmine (Lei Crime, #3)
  • Hush
  • Got Thrills? A Boxed Set
  • Livin' Lahaina Loca (Islands of Aloha Mystery, #2)
  • L.A. Rain: Three Novels
  • Blueblood (Marty Singer, #2)
  • Tough Cookie (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #2)
  • Mind Scrambler (John Ceepak Mystery, #5)
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...

Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1)
  • Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2)
  • Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3)
  • Fuzzy Navel (Jack Daniels Mystery, #5)
  • Cherry Bomb (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6)
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
  • Stirred (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8)
  • Rum Runner (Jack Daniels Mystery, #9)
  • Last Call (Jack Daniels Mystery, #10)
  • White Russian (Jack Daniels #11)

“Personally, I wouldn’t mind Alzheimer’s. You buy one magazine, and you’re entertained for the rest of your life.” 1 likes
“I bent over to give my hair another shake, and glanced at my boots, along with the several dozen roaches climbing up them. Then I felt them inside the boots, between the suede and the naked skin of my calves. I” 0 likes