Start by marking “Maggots, Murder, and Men: Memories and Reflections of a Forensic Entomologist” as Want to Read:
Maggots, Murder, and Men: Memories and Reflections of a Forensic Entomologist

Maggots, Murder, and Men: Memories and Reflections of a Forensic Entomologist

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The science of forensic entomology-the application of insect biology to the investigation of crime-is extremely specialized, combining as it does an expert knowledge of entomology with keen powers of observation and deduction. Dr. Erzinclioglu has been a practitioner for over twenty-five years and has been involved in a great number of investigations, including some recent ...more
Published April 10th 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Maggots, Murder, and Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maggots, Murder, and Men

Jen
Dec 22, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing
This was an assigned reading for my forensic entomology class. This book is not 100 percent all about forensic entomology, but rather, a look into the life of a forensic entomologist. You learn about all of the "workplace drama" that a forensic entomologist deals with, which is incredibly different from anything any of us have ever experienced working any job. His love for Sherlock Holmes shows in this book, through mention of the fact and also through his style of writing. Recommended for anyon ...more
Mercy Heston
Despite the unpronouncable name of the author, fascinating stories about insects and their habits.
Saima
Nov 17, 2015 Saima rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book, 2015
Compelling stories about finding clues through forensic entomology.
Kirsten
This was fascinating, but at times I wished for more forensic entomology and less personal philosophy -- he seemed to spend an awful lot of time talking about what's wrong with the world and with the way forensic science is used in the courtroom. I wanted more science. Still, his style of writing is amusing and he definitely comes across as someone you'd want to have dinner with (or at least sit down and talk to; I'm not sure if dinner and his conversation really go together).
Alicia Duff
Aug 14, 2014 Alicia Duff rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Highly fascinating book to read! The author spends time detailing actual cases he worked on, taking time to explain the deep the analysis process. I don't have any background in this area of expertise, but I can tell the process is very involved and only a certain type of person is suited for this work. The material was completely new to me, I left the book wanting to read more.
Carrie
Feb 23, 2009 Carrie added it
I should have realized that this was going to be a depressing book. I thought it would be cool and science-y but in a fun and interesting way. And I guess that it is, but it just hadn't occurred to me that all the fun science would necessarily have to be tied in with dead bodies, rapes, murder and drowning victims. More depressing than I really wanted.
Daphne Vogel
Sep 29, 2012 Daphne Vogel rated it really liked it
I was charmed by this book, by his ethics and by the insect lore. His is a voice you would hear over a pint near the fire, telling stories of forensic research, solved (or unsolved) homicide cases, the good cop, the bad cop, and the nature of man. That being said, if you're of a squeamish disposition, best to wade into this book one maggot at a time.
Rae
Apr 19, 2008 Rae rated it it was amazing
This memoir combines two of my loves--forensic science and insects. The author, who died in 2002, was considered the leading forensic entomologist in the world. He shares many of his cases, some of his politics, a lot of his opinions, and a great deal of his knowledge of insects and bodies.
Mark Desrosiers
Sep 13, 2007 Mark Desrosiers rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
He wouldn't dare say it in the introduction, but the primary function of a forensic entomologist seems to be to estimate the time of death. Sometimes also to figure whether some remains have been moved. In other words, despite all the disgusticating details, it's a dull day's work.
M. Jones
Feb 05, 2011 M. Jones rated it really liked it
Excellent reference book for those interested in layman forensics. The diction is easy to follow without compromising information. Great book!
Lou
Feb 13, 2015 Lou rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Fascinating stuff! Will definitely be reading more about forensic entomology....
Deborah
Apr 11, 2008 Deborah rated it liked it
Written by a forensic entemologist. Really cool but no photos.
Valerie
Jan 25, 2009 Valerie rated it liked it
Riveting and informative.
Gali Baler
Oct 18, 2013 Gali Baler rated it it was amazing
Simply delightful.
Bekah Kay
Bekah Kay marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Diana Qureshi
Diana Qureshi marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Nicole Gauss
Nicole Gauss marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Daniel Hall
Daniel Hall marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Alyssa Gray
Alyssa Gray marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
M H
M H marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Lori Strode
Lori Strode marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Serra Zander
Serra Zander marked it as to-read
Lili
Lili marked it as to-read
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
kelly carlisle
kelly carlisle marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
  • What the Corpse Revealed
  • A Fly for the Prosecution: How Insect Evidence Helps Solve Crimes
  • Blood On the Table: The Greatest Cases of New York City's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
  • Dead Center: Behind the Scenes at the World's Largest Medical Examiner's Office
  • Cause of Death: Forensic Files of a Medical Examiner
  • Postmortem: How Medical Examiners Explain Suspicious Deaths
  • Crime Scene: The Ultimate Guide to Forensic Science
  • Fingerprints: The Origins of Crime Dectection and the Murder Case That Launched Forensic Science
  • Hidden Evidence: 40 True Crimes and How Forensic Science Helped Solve Them
  • Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand: And Other Life (and Death) Lessons from the Front Lines of Forensics
  • Corpse: Nature, Forensics, and the Struggle to Pinpoint Time of Death
  • Bodies We've Buried: Inside the National Forensic Academy, the World's Top CSI Training School
  • Bones: A Forensic Detective's Casebook
  • Dissecting Death: Secrets of a Medical Examiner
  • Unnatural Death: Confessions of a Medical Examiner
  • Blood Secrets: A Forensic Expert Reveals How Blood Spatter Tells the Crime Scene's Story
  • No Bone Unturned: The Adventures of a Top Smithsonian Forensic Scientist and the Legal Battle for America's Oldest Skeletons
  • Aftermath, Inc.: Cleaning Up After CSI Goes Home