Start by marking “Sepulchre” as Want to Read:
Sepulchre

Sepulchre

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  1,727 ratings  ·  51 reviews
A conflict of evils There is a house called Neath that holds a dark and terrible secret..... In that house there is a psychic called Kline who is part of its secret..... The Keeper is guardian of the house, of the psychic, and of the secret..... But now an outsider must protect them from a terrible danger..... Halloran will combat men who thrive on physical corruption; he ...more
Audio
Published March 5th 2004 by MacMillan UK (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Sepulchre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sepulchre

Bandit
This was pretty excellent. Classic Herbert, a very dark intense story with an added bonus of ancient sumerian secrets. The real strengths of this book are Herbert's trademarks of a nicely developed backstory and detailed and interesting character backgrounds. It's basically the opposite of lazy horror writing, you know the one where someone goes into the woods and something terrible happens or someone moves to a small town and something terrible happens. Herbert wrote genuinely original horror. ...more
Dark-Draco
As I was reading this, I had a strange impression that I 'knew' the character of Liam Halloran - off course, it is a 'typical' Irish name, so might have been used by another author, but that co-incidence kept distracting me from the book. Anyway, the story itself was ok - a security firm are hired to protect a 'mystic', who believes he is in danger, but doesn't know from what. Although sceptical, they go ahead with the job because of the money. Liam is the operative on close protection, but ends ...more
Shubham Srivastava
Nice thrills & chills with a good ending...It was quite good for my first Herbert Book..Cheers
Deanne
Classic horror from James Herbert, read in one night because I just wanted to know how it would all end.
Warren Stalley
I've read many of James Herbert's books over the years and this novel pulls you in so easily that you can sometimes forget how talented a writer he was. A bodyguard called Halloran is given a job to protect the mysterious Felix Kline. Soon strange things start happening and they retreat to Kline's remote country mansion Neath where unnatural things creep into the locked down estate.

The sense of unease just grows as Herbert writes in flowing passages of pure beauty and terror. This is a first cla
Dreadlocksmile
Herbert has managed to produce another outstanding novel here, with a dark tale of corruption and despair. Admittedly, the characterisation isn't the greatest aspect of the novel, as you never really get to feel anything for any of the principal characters, but this does not subtract from the novel as much as one would think. The book races by with a jam packed plot that will truly leave you not wanting to put the book down.

There was an extra chapter that was removed from the novel by Herbert hi
Trisha
Felix Kline bezit krachten die hij aanwent voor zijn werkgever. Kline is voor miljoenen verzekerd, maar nu loopt hij gevaar.
Liam Holloran wordt ingehuurd om Kine te beschermen. Holloran heeft echter nog nooit zo een veel eisend persoon beschermd. Als Kline dan opeens tekenen van verval gaat vertonen, beseft Holloran dat Kline heel veel dingen achter houdt en dat de krachten waartegen Kline beschermt moet worden meer zijn dan mensen alleen. Het leven pakt namelijk wat zij vindt dat ze verdient.
Adam Wilson
"There is a house that holds a dreadful secret. "The Keeper", the psychic and the
secret serve a force which threatens mankind itself." This is a breif description of Sepulchre by James Herbert. This is the ninth novel of Herbert's that I've read, and this was my least favorite. I liked it, and respect it for it's story and complexity, but I just didn't get into it that much. I would find my mind wandering while trying to read it. I kept getting confused by certain things in the novel and had to
Robert
Ugh. Sometimes I switch from audiobook to eyeball book because I am really digging a book and don't want to miss any. In this case I switched because it had gotten so muddled I needed the eyeballs to try and hold it together. Didn't work. This author is, maybe, England's Stephen King? Terrible disservice to King, even though I haven't read any of his since the Talisman. King's work has depth! Sepulchre is shallow, formulaic dreck. I challenge anyone to read through the swamp of villain's explica ...more
Steve
Not bad. Predictable in some ways, but for an early effort on Herbert's part, pretty good.
Roy Bright
Quite possibly James Herberts creepiest book - fantastic stuff.
Melissa Bennett
I've read a few of James Herbert's books and enjoyed them. Was very excited to read another one. This was definitely a disappointment. I was so utterly bored through 97% of this book. I had no care for the characters and it was a struggle just to finish it. But I did and was rewarded with the last 3%. That was when it got exciting and then next thing you know it ended. I would not recommend this book. If you want to read any of Herbert's work I would go with Fluke, The Magic Cottage, The Fog (al ...more
Tim
As a general rule I don't "do" horror movies or books, but this one for some reason caught my eye. I like to pick up the odd wayward tome from the library shelves and test the waters. In the end I rather enjoyed it, were I more of a horror genre type of person it may have received more stars but with me Herbert is fighting an uphill battle as said, horror isn't my thing.

But a complex plot and wide variety of characters all written at good pace and well worth the read.
Kevin
This was a very tautly written novel. Well-paced with a grizzly plot and great antihero main character. However, it's really gruesome. That's saying a lot for me but honestly I felt like I was doing something illegal when I read it. Same experience I had with "The Damnation Game" by Clive Barker...I felt dirty afterwards. The difference is that with "The Damnation Game" I wanted to keep feeling dirty. With Sepulchre I needed a shore.
Chris Mawbey
This must be one of the few James Herbert books that I couldn't remember much about. The story premise is detailed enough without getting in the way of the action. The characters are a bit thin and bordering on stereotypical, and this isn't helped by the fact that one of the sub-plots is a bit dated now. All in all though, if you're looking for some good old British horror, it's still an entertaining read.
Matt
I had always thought of Herbert as a poor-mans Stephen King - I was very wrong.
Really weak plot and really bad writing. I only read it because after listing all the read books in my library on Goodreads, I realised I have a massive pile which are unread. This one should have stayed on that pile. The only good thing about this book is the excellent entwined serpent illustration which heads each chapter.
Ben Flay
I really enjoyed this story - Herbert's storytelling ability is maturing by this point and is much more focused. Be sure to check out this book if you enjoy the paranormal, horror novels, or even a good thriller
One of his bests a good thriller that you wont want to read at night its well paced imaginative and one of my favourites the characters are brilliant and its solid believability right through
Lilanthi
Horror of horrors....in every imaginable form!
J.F. Penn
awesome book - rediscovered on Kindle, first published in 1987 and you can only really tell because of the telephone technology. But this is a good scary read, with a mad psychic needing protection from imagined enemies that leads to an eerie estate where something evil lurks in the sepulchre under-neath. Would have been horror once, but would now be a supernatural thriller.
Anne
Oct 11, 2009 Anne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anne by: anne.kolle@yahoo.com
A great book to go to sleep by. . . Tired to mimic too many genres and left me wondering where the author was trying to go with the plot, the purpose, and the characters. Some interesting relationships, but overall I'd have rather filled my time with something more worthwhile.
Thelma Gabbett
Terrible book wouldn't recommend it
Tanya
The first James Herbert book I read. Fantatic. I lent it to someone about 10 years ago and never got it a back. I was a huge James Herbert fan in the late 80's early 90's. Still have the books so must put them on my re read list.
Dilys
One of James Herbert,s best horror novels yet. Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end which is a good sign. Weird & despicable characters & a spot of cannibalism to boot which makes the stomach churn. well worth a read.
eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya)
started really slowly ,but picked up pace quickly,a different type of book by James Herbert from his usual horror tales don't know if he was trying something new but it worked for me,sadly we will never know after his sad death.
Lisa
Granted that I read this in grade 6, I absolutely loved its darkness and taboo. Not sure how I would feel about it as a adult, but I read several of his books was a young person and I recall some of Herbert's imagery still.
Titus Hjelm
I'll say it again: abridged books should be illegal. Whatever suspense (normally quite important in a Herbert book) there was has been castrated in the abridgement. Do *not* buy the CD version!
Kari
Another great Herbert read and felt a bit different to the ones I've read previously. The ending was brilliant, gruesome and action packed and I didn't predict the twist which is always a bonus!
Amy victoria
i had a real james herbert faze and this didn't disappoint it was really well written, i really enjoyed the story and didn't see the twists that were coming, chilling this book was fantastic
Ian
Not that interesting overall. I had a hard time finishing the book. The plot had some merit but it felt underdeveloped in the end. Felt like a book written for a movie. Meh.
  • Assassin
  • Funland
  • Nailed by the Heart
  • The Manitou (Manitou, Book 1)
  • The Hour of the Oxrun Dead
  • Crimson
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
  • Razored Saddles
  • The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 17
James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction.

He was one of our greatest popular novelists, whose books are sold in thirty-three other languages, including Russian and Chinese. Widely imitated and hugely influential, his nineteen novels have sold more than forty
More about James Herbert...
The Fog The Rats (Rats, #1) The Dark The Secret Of Crickley Hall Haunted (David Ash, #1)