Start by marking “Promises” as Want to Read:
Promises

Promises

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  977 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
From the bestselling author of TheCarousel and Daybreakcomes a stirring, timely story of adultery and itsimpact on the Americanfamily.

Margaret and Adam Crane seem to have a near perfectlife--she's a teacher, he's a computer executive, andtogether they are lovingly raising their ownchildren and Margaret's orphaned niece. Then one daythe phone rings--and suddenly everything
Published June 1st 1996 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises

Naomi
Oct 25, 2015 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down!

This novel was about every wife's worst nightmare – the ex-girlfriend comes back into the husband's life. It's a roller coaster, and a good one!

Belva Plain has an unusual writing style of direct characterization and slightly archaic dialogue that would normally put me off a book. But her plots are so riveting and the characterization and dialogue work well, somehow. The stress and intensity of the drama are always rewarded with a satisfying ending. I'm normally a sci-fi a
Kim
Dec 07, 2008 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found a lot of this book so irritating. Adam and his selfish affair. His lack of parenting. Also, I couldn't see why things had to be quite so hard for Margaret. Such as losing her home - she had very wealthy friends - why didn't they get together and buy her house and rent it back to her? Her pride wouldn't have had to suffer as it would have been an investment for them. Also - why didn't someone (Adam, friends) take the dog instead of it going to strangers? I got tired of listening to Adam a ...more
Kay
Jan 28, 2016 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a while ago. Belva Plain has always been a favorite of mine. Her writing is beautiful, it has a way of pulling me in. I love the old-fashioned tone of her characters. I don't think I've read one book of hers that I didn't at least like. (RIP Belva Plain).
Promises is a book about a man named Adam and a woman named Margaret, who have been together since youth (their mothers already planned their marriage long before they did). The book opens with a problem: Adam, who is away at co
Virginia Markhart
Feb 24, 2016 Virginia Markhart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book touched me deeply. I HATE adulltry. Then why couldn't I put this book down, adulltry was the main theme. The book explored the deep emotional wrenching caused by adulltry and divorce. Adulltry is an insult to the entire family. Margaret and Nina, aunt and niece. Margaret is married to a man who is having an affair, and Nina is having an affair with a married man. The ugliness of their situations was painfully honest, made for difficult reading. The shattered home and the upheaval of th ...more
Jane De vries
It is a recommended read for someone BEFORE an extra marital affair. Couldn't put it down.
Mary
Jun 07, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Margaret Crane is a woman many others would envy. With her comfortable home, handsome husband, three beautiful children and rewarding teaching career, Margaret has the perfect life. She and Adam, her husband, have also raised an orphaned cousin, Nina, since her early childhood and she is now a sucessful young decorator in New York City. And yet...Adam is constantly working late at the office; long hours and too much stress Margaret attributes to rumors of a big company takeover as Adam draws awa ...more
user
Mar 27, 2013 user rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book.. was quite something.

I liked it in the beginning and towards the end but the middle. The middle made me want to rip my hair off.

So the story goes that Adam is an unfaithful peice of crap and runs off with Randi, the Other Woman. Now the sick twist is that Randi is a bitch (she made it quite obvious its all for the money) and before Adam married Marge (Margret) he cheated on her with the same whore too. So then the whore comes back, Adam leaves and Marge finds herself tumbling into a
Angie
Nov 19, 2012 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vanessa Jones
This book was as addicting as a reality TV show. This book chronicles affairs from different points of view('sometimes an itch in the groin can be confused as love'). A little cliché, but unfortunately close to reality for many. The grass isn't always greener on the other side!
Sheila Judson
Margaret has planned her whole life around Adam. Just before marrying right out of college he has an affair but Margaret never has a doubt about their life together. The world revolves around their marriage and their children. What Margaret cannot see is that Adam has never really grown up and taken responsibility for himself and his feelings. Adam finds himself superior to the world and when his old girlfriend pops into his life again, he puffs up with esteem and jumps into the affair head on. ...more
Cindy
Jun 06, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out like a slow train wreck but as I read through some of the tripe I found myself involved with the characters. Interesting, and thought provoking read.
Barbara Loggia
Light summer read with Belva Plain---two women on opposite sides of two different stories of 'the other woman' and the men involved.
Laura Beasley
Good story but slow pace. Very true to life. Book full of emotions--love, betrayal, sadness, hurt, bitterness and so much more. A couple separate after 15 years of marriage due to the husbands adultery. How this split affects Margaret and Adam and their 3 children. The support of friends during this difficult time. Newell written book. Lots of characters as in most of Belva Plain's books but much easier to keep up with each one. Enjoyable read even though sad at times.
Rebecka
Sep 24, 2015 Rebecka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read
Joanne
Jun 17, 2009 Joanne rated it liked it
A vacation read that traveled to UT, ID and WY. It is the story of a couple married for many years. The husband decides to have an affair and the family becomes dysfunctional. The Ozzie and Harriett family unit becomes prey to current lifestyles. There is a happy ending for one of the partners! This was a good book, but I've read others by Belva Plain that I loved (more of the historical type). Cover is different from the one listed.

Kristy
Feb 20, 2013 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Belva Plain book I've read. I found it in a box of old books and I have no clue where it came from. It's a good story. Although you start to hate, I mean really hate, a couple of the characters you can appreciate the storytelling. You start out with a "perfect" family and the man of the house decides he's not happy. Especially after he meets an old flame from college. You can probably see where this is going.
Kerri
Sep 24, 2008 Kerri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This book is about two women. One woman is married and being cheated on, and in a separate relationship, her niece is the "other woman."

This book is a bit different from some romance novels. Some books treat divorce as a glitch, and then everyone gets over it and is better off. This books shows divorce for it's very ugly side, and the disastrous effects for the children.

Kathleen
May 15, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Belva Plain novel. It depicts the husband as a person with zero personality and zero self control and the 'other woman' as pure evil who deliberately tempts a married man away from his family and then turns on them using only sex as a weapon. Not a very realistic scenario in my opinion.
Gretchen
May 03, 2008 Gretchen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gretchen by: Kirsten
WOW! The whole time I was angry with Adam b/c of his affair. I never would have guessed what would have happened at the end. It was a good book to show how a family tries to survive during and after an affair. But it made me so angry. Affairs affect everyone and they seem to be just selfish.
Cyn
Aug 01, 2011 Cyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this long ago but decided to read again,since I couldn't remember the ending. Margaret and the kids all had strong characters that I could feel emotion for. Adam and Randi made me ill.
The story moves slowly and is rather depressing.
This is not a cheer me up type of book.
Dianne Estes
Jul 19, 2013 Dianne Estes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. I think every young women should read. Gives a really good view of the tragic impact on children when a divorce happens because of another woman as well as the impact on young women who are foolish enough to believe that a married man will leave his family for her.
Sue
Jan 22, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Belva Plain's characters are always delved into. I liked this book. It was a typical story of a guy who has an affair and disrupts his entire family's lives. He was a selfish man who carried on with a temptress. It all ended well for the family, however.
Linda
Jul 20, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A moving story about promises made and broken all in the name of love and the reprecussions those promises have on the individuals involved and their families. From broken promises, strength of character arises. Beautifully written and deeply touching.
Mary
Feb 24, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
Stayed up half the night finishing this one. "Betrayed" wife story. And niece is in another relationship where she is the "other woman". Chick story but good. Had to finish it to see how their lives worked out.
Paula
Aug 30, 2009 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the writing was a little strange (the characters did not sound like they were in the 1990's) the story was very interesting. It is a very interesting view into marriage and adultery.
Hubjeanne
An okay read. At least it kept me interested long enough to want to see what happened at the end. It is quite a thought provoker, though. Worth a read if you have nothing better.
MaryHelen
Jan 25, 2010 MaryHelen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the subject matter of this book was sad, it was very well written and so interesting that I couldn't put it down. I thought it was a good read.
Sandy Rogers
Dec 30, 2012 Sandy Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So astounded by the emotions I felt while reading this book! I literally had the atlas out looking for this city and Randi!! Great read and superb ending : )
Maura
Nov 30, 2011 Maura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A soap opera type story. No hero and the heroine wasn't very compelling. Book was about adultry and the destruction of a family. A real downer.
Skyqueen
Dec 05, 2012 Skyqueen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audio of this one. Made it come alive. Yep, everybody gets hurt when first we practice to deceive. Humanity never seems to learn.
  • Errands
  • An Act of Love
  • The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel
  • Family and Friends
  • Other Worlds
  • Green Calder Grass (Calder Saga #6)
  • Homework: A Novel
  • Circle of Three
  • The Road Taken
Belva Plain was a best-selling American author of mainstream women's fiction. Her first novel, Evergreen (1978) topped the New York Times bestseller list for 41 weeks and was made into a TV miniseries. At her death, there were over 30 million copies of her twenty-plus novels in print in 22 languages.

More about Belva Plain...