Start by marking “First Meals” as Want to Read:
First Meals

First Meals

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  42 reviews
This easy-to-use cookbok takes the worry out of introducing great food to the youngest members of the family.
Published September 15th 1999 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published March 22nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about First Meals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Meals

Ebookwormy
This cook book has been valuable to me by:
* providing nutritional information
* giving advice on common challenges in feeding (when to introduce solids, how to introduce solids, the picky eater, allergies, healthy snack ideas, etc)
* sharing ideas on how to be more creative with presentation to keep eating interesting

as well as the excellent, healthy recipes.

The book covers introduction of solids through age 7, but my husband and I enjoy so many of the recipes that it really is a family meals cook
Heather
I've had this book since Anna was a baby. I got it out today to figure out something new to feed Levi (since Anna was with Sam at the Discovery Museum I wasn't as rushed with lunch as usual) and thought I should post it here because it has been such an invaluable resource for me.

Meals are laid out by age, usually in 3 or 6 month sections, but it has recipes (and ideas of things to do in the kitchen with older kids) up to 5 years old. I love that in the baby stage she does interesting flavor pair
Megan Anderson
his isn’t simply a cookbook; it’s a nutritional guide as well. Recipes and feeding guides from 6 months to 7 years.

We’re making our own baby food, so Beth (my aunt) let me borrow this book to give me some ideas as Jonas gets bigger. I read it cover to cover! Who reads cookbooks? It’s that good. I’m buying my own stat.

The book goes over the difference in nutritional needs for kids and adults, information on common allergies, equipment you’ll need, advice for freezing and reheating, ideas for enco
Ellee
Mostly recipes. It doesn't have a lot of new information (i.e. preschoolers like food that has animal faces), but it does make me feel less intimidated about feeding The Lad his first foods (he likes oatmeal, sweet potatoes, carrots, prunes, and apple sauce/juice & is "giving peas a chance" this week - haha). I suspect the next new food after peas will be potatoes followed by potatoes & broccoli. A useful book for the harried parent who can't think of what might entice their child to eat ...more
Mindy
I picked up this book as I was searching for "in-between" food ideas for my 10-month old that weren't purees but not just straight table food. I found several suggestions that I could make using ingredients I normally have on hand. There were other recipes that used things I never get, but I just skipped those. I also really liked some of the ideas for older kids, though I probably wouldn't go into as much work on the presentation as the author suggested.

I would rate this book higher, but so far
Susan
May 19, 2007 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of older babies/toddlers
This seems like a fun, basic book on cooking for older babies & toddlers. Packed with recipes and pictures, it is appealing and easy. I didn't find much useful information on feeding infants, but there was quite a bit for babies as soon as they start eating multiple ingrediants and non-pureed foods. My main complaint would be that she emphasizes turning most meals into "fun" shapes. While I adore my kid, it's unlikely I'm going to do fancy knifework on her sliced Cheddar except on special oc ...more
Sugy
Very interesting. Essentially a puree cookbook.
Very good read for a first time mom who is about to start solid foods with her baby. It had lots of information told in both lists, pictures, and small paragraph descriptions. Well thought out and planned. Didn't exactly have the science behind it which lost it a star and I could not find that weird cranking mush thingy recommended at any business - so another star. But overall something that I have been referencing over and over again as my little one starts on solids.
This is fantastic. This book is exactly what I was looking for. It is simple and has several recipes for each age range, without randomly going into how breastfeeding is best and how you suck as a mother if you don't do it like the other baby food book I read. I'm a little scared to serve my baby meat, because I'm worried I'll muck it up, but this book's recipes seem quite sound and make it seem less scary.
Joscyln Day
I'm using this book right now for making Tyler's baby food. I use it coincidingly with "So Easy baby food" because I like how this book tells you how to cook the food the best way while the other just has microwave directions but the other has the different combinations for each food that you can do and what month that mix is appropriate. Anyways they are both helpful.
Allison
Good encouragement for breastfeeding, good general, common-sense type answers to feeding babies. Good recipes and recipe ideas to blend and incorporate different foods together. There were a couple things with which I didn't agree, but on the whole it was good to get a different take on feeding babies other than "What to Expect the First Year."
Vonda
This book has lots of cute ideas for making toddler meals fun. When our son started to eat solids, this book helped me make sure he was progressing to try lots of different table foods. The book is divided into age groups by months. Now he can almost eat everything that we eat. What an accomplishment for our little guy!
Emily Durney
Food is creative, but some have too many ingredients that make recipes not so "convenient". You can't just whip up the food for a last minute idea when kids are hungry. You must plan ahead! BUT if you like to make your kids' food look "fun" then check it out from the library or thumb through it.
Andrea
Awesome ideas for feeding kids from first solids up until 5 and beyond. Ideas to get picky eaters to eat healthy food. A lot of it has to do with presentation, which I am too lazy to do. But it still has lots of other great meal ideas for baby and for the whole family!
Asho
Since my baby is currently a fetus, I haven't tried any of the recipes in this book yet. However, I'm planning to make his food in my food processor most of the time, and this book makes that goal seem really manageable. Can't wait to put it to the test!
Krystal Racca
Cute ideas, not so cute results. 3/3 of the recipes I tried didn't turn out-and I'm not a novice cook. Either they didn't hold together or they didn't taste good, or I had to alter the recipe in some other way in order to make it work "okay".
Jenica
This one I am loving enough to possibly buy. I like how she sections the book into age groups and it's all healthy options. Maleena isn't quite a year yet and she still loves the California chicken. Great stuff to freeze as well!
Gail
The basic recipes in this book are very good. By that I mean that the basic spaghettis sauce, salad dressing, bran muffin recipes can be cooked for adults too and they taste good. Then take those recipes and add your twist.
Heather
My daughter is nearly 18 months and I have used these recipes ever since she started eating solids. I appreciate the variety and knowing which recipes can be frozen. It has been a lifesaver for me as a working mom.
michele
I loved this book. Thanks to a friend's recommendation, I was able to make all my own baby food with not an incredible amount of effort. I liked knowing what was going into the first foods my daughter was eating.
Angela
Dec 28, 2008 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mothers who enjoy cooking for their babies
Not quite as informative as "Super Babyfood", but it does have some of fun ideas for children's food. My baby really likes looking at the pictures in this one. Lots of happy babies eating colourful dishes!
Kristina
I loved this book when my kids were babies. It gave me ideas (since I'm not creative at all) for baby food and then healthy receipes for my toddlers. I still use the receipes since they are just yummy.
Debbie
I love reading cookbooks. Having to cook so often, I find them inspirational and a bit like on the job training! The meatball recipe was pronounced the "best kind of meatball you ever made".
Andrea Thorpe
Absolutely amazing recipes for both the kids and our family! I highly recommend most dishes in this book as kid-friendly, healthy, interesting and pretty easy to prepare. Have fun!
Heather
I enjoyed Karmel's Starting Solids much more. I took this cookbook out from the library and did not feel the usual need to buy my own copy. Not very inspirational.
Melinda
For the parent who wants to prepare fresh babyfood at home. Recipes and how to do it yourself. Overview given of what foods and textures are appropriate for baby's diet.
Christy
Forget Adam - these recipes look delicious for the adults! Personally, I'm against making food in fun shapes but it makes the book more lively to read.
Deborah
These books are good for first time mothers but eventually moms learn to feed kids the same thing everyone else is eating to avoid future pickyness.
Cassandra
I just bought it and it's great! Gives me great ideas for Kai and it even tells you what vitamins are in what you're feeding your kid. Great for moms.
Tasty! This too has been added to our collection at home for Chance eats, they are so good that I eat the extra portions as well.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Petit Appetit Cookbook: Easy, Organic Recipes to Nurture Your Baby and Toddler
  • Super Baby Food: Absolutely Everything You Should Know about Feeding Your Baby and Toddler from Starting Solid Foods to Age Three Years
  • The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet: Know What Goes Into Every Bite with More Than 200 of the Most Deliciously Nutritious Homemade Baby Food Recipes-Includes More Than 60 Purees Your Baby Will Love
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • The Wonder Weeks: How to Turn Your Baby's 8 Great Fussy Phases into Magical Leaps Forward
  • Cupcakes!
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • The No-Cry Potty Training Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Child Say Good-Bye to Diapers
  • How To Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • Annals of the World
  • How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • The Gift of Southern Cooking: Recipes and Revelations from Two Great American Cooks
  • Figuring Out Fibromyalgia: Current Science and the Most Effective Treatments
  • The Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (In the Kitchen!): Hiding Healthy Foods in Hearty Meals Any Guy Will Love
Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby Superfoods for Babies and Children Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner - 4th Edition Mom and Me Cookbook Lunch Boxes and Snacks: Over 120 healthy recipes from delicious sandwiches and salads to hot soups and sweet treats