Start by marking “Sepulchre” as Want to Read:
Sepulchre

Sepulchre

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  1,862 ratings  ·  59 reviews
There is a house called Neath that holds a dark and terrible secret. In that house there is a psychic called Kline who is part of its secret. The Keeper is guardian of the house, of the psychic, and of the secret. But now an outsider must protect them from a terrible danger. Halloran will combat men who thrive on physical corruptions; he will find love of a perverse nature ...more
Published August 1st 1989 by Jove (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Sepulchre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sepulchre

'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingMateguas Island by Linda  Watkins
Best Modern Horror Novels
105th out of 254 books — 204 voters
The Rats by James HerbertThe Fog by James HerbertLair by James HerbertThe Dark by James HerbertDomain by James Herbert
The best of James Herbert
22nd out of 24 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Bandit
This was pretty excellent. Classic Herbert, a very dark intense story with an added bonus of ancient sumerian secrets. The real strengths of this book are Herbert's trademarks of a nicely developed backstory and detailed and interesting character backgrounds. It's basically the opposite of lazy horror writing, you know the one where someone goes into the woods and something terrible happens or someone moves to a small town and something terrible happens. Herbert wrote genuinely original horror. ...more
Mark Warner
A good book, true horror...set up well, interesting folks coming and going...a little lesson in fictitious ancient history...some truly frightening imagery, nicely done...with a neat tie in to modern religion, which is always nice.
all in all a good, tight ending, rare in horror and a treat. Didn't really scare the bejeezus out of me though...no worries about nightmares waiting after that last page and lights out. Ah well, still a good book, reminds me of Stephen King...
Dark-Draco
As I was reading this, I had a strange impression that I 'knew' the character of Liam Halloran - off course, it is a 'typical' Irish name, so might have been used by another author, but that co-incidence kept distracting me from the book. Anyway, the story itself was ok - a security firm are hired to protect a 'mystic', who believes he is in danger, but doesn't know from what. Although sceptical, they go ahead with the job because of the money. Liam is the operative on close protection, but ends ...more
Shubham Srivastava
Nice thrills & chills with a good ending...It was quite good for my first Herbert Book..Cheers
Deanne
Classic horror from James Herbert, read in one night because I just wanted to know how it would all end.
Rachael Dixon
Typical Herbert novel where he lets you get inside the heads of multiple characters, which I particularly like.

I loved the references to the Sumerians, and I thought all of the storyline's angles made for an interesting premise.

I wasn't so keen on the whole Halloran and Cora relationship. I was never fully convinced by Cora's character and at times I found her a little bit irritating, I cant help but wonder if the book might have been better without her.

Sometimes the story seemed a little slow
Warren Stalley
I've read many of James Herbert's books over the years and this novel pulls you in so easily that you can sometimes forget how talented a writer he was. A bodyguard called Halloran is given a job to protect the mysterious Felix Kline. Soon strange things start happening and they retreat to Kline's remote country mansion Neath where unnatural things creep into the locked down estate.

The sense of unease just grows as Herbert writes in flowing passages of pure beauty and terror. This is a first cla
Dreadlocksmile
Herbert has managed to produce another outstanding novel here, with a dark tale of corruption and despair. Admittedly, the characterisation isn't the greatest aspect of the novel, as you never really get to feel anything for any of the principal characters, but this does not subtract from the novel as much as one would think. The book races by with a jam packed plot that will truly leave you not wanting to put the book down.

There was an extra chapter that was removed from the novel by Herbert hi
Trisha
Felix Kline bezit krachten die hij aanwent voor zijn werkgever. Kline is voor miljoenen verzekerd, maar nu loopt hij gevaar.
Liam Holloran wordt ingehuurd om Kine te beschermen. Holloran heeft echter nog nooit zo een veel eisend persoon beschermd. Als Kline dan opeens tekenen van verval gaat vertonen, beseft Holloran dat Kline heel veel dingen achter houdt en dat de krachten waartegen Kline beschermt moet worden meer zijn dan mensen alleen. Het leven pakt namelijk wat zij vindt dat ze verdient.
Sally Daffarn
I only listened to this book because I had really enjoyed The Secret Of Crickley Hall. This is the most violent, confusing, book I have ever read. There were too many people, too much fighting to compensate for the magic I was hoping for. Ghost stories I can cope with but this was just violence with no definable story. I listened to the end to try to understand but I don't. I hope I never read another book like this again ever.
Adam Wilson
"There is a house that holds a dreadful secret. "The Keeper", the psychic and the
secret serve a force which threatens mankind itself." This is a breif description of Sepulchre by James Herbert. This is the ninth novel of Herbert's that I've read, and this was my least favorite. I liked it, and respect it for it's story and complexity, but I just didn't get into it that much. I would find my mind wandering while trying to read it. I kept getting confused by certain things in the novel and had to
Robert
Ugh. Sometimes I switch from audiobook to eyeball book because I am really digging a book and don't want to miss any. In this case I switched because it had gotten so muddled I needed the eyeballs to try and hold it together. Didn't work. This author is, maybe, England's Stephen King? Terrible disservice to King, even though I haven't read any of his since the Talisman. King's work has depth! Sepulchre is shallow, formulaic dreck. I challenge anyone to read through the swamp of villain's explica ...more
Sandy
Steve
Not bad. Predictable in some ways, but for an early effort on Herbert's part, pretty good.
D.M. Kirtaime
During my Army days I snapped up Koontz, King and Herbert as soon as titles became available.
Roy Bright
Quite possibly James Herberts creepiest book - fantastic stuff.
Melissa Bennett
I've read a few of James Herbert's books and enjoyed them. Was very excited to read another one. This was definitely a disappointment. I was so utterly bored through 97% of this book. I had no care for the characters and it was a struggle just to finish it. But I did and was rewarded with the last 3%. That was when it got exciting and then next thing you know it ended. I would not recommend this book. If you want to read any of Herbert's work I would go with Fluke, The Magic Cottage, The Fog (al ...more
Tim
May 05, 2010 Tim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
As a general rule I don't "do" horror movies or books, but this one for some reason caught my eye. I like to pick up the odd wayward tome from the library shelves and test the waters. In the end I rather enjoyed it, were I more of a horror genre type of person it may have received more stars but with me Herbert is fighting an uphill battle as said, horror isn't my thing.

But a complex plot and wide variety of characters all written at good pace and well worth the read.
Kevin
This was a very tautly written novel. Well-paced with a grizzly plot and great antihero main character. However, it's really gruesome. That's saying a lot for me but honestly I felt like I was doing something illegal when I read it. Same experience I had with "The Damnation Game" by Clive Barker...I felt dirty afterwards. The difference is that with "The Damnation Game" I wanted to keep feeling dirty. With Sepulchre I needed a shore.
Chris Mawbey
This must be one of the few James Herbert books that I couldn't remember much about. The story premise is detailed enough without getting in the way of the action. The characters are a bit thin and bordering on stereotypical, and this isn't helped by the fact that one of the sub-plots is a bit dated now. All in all though, if you're looking for some good old British horror, it's still an entertaining read.
Matt
I had always thought of Herbert as a poor-mans Stephen King - I was very wrong.
Really weak plot and really bad writing. I only read it because after listing all the read books in my library on Goodreads, I realised I have a massive pile which are unread. This one should have stayed on that pile. The only good thing about this book is the excellent entwined serpent illustration which heads each chapter.
Ben Flay
I really enjoyed this story - Herbert's storytelling ability is maturing by this point and is much more focused. Be sure to check out this book if you enjoy the paranormal, horror novels, or even a good thriller
One of his bests a good thriller that you wont want to read at night its well paced imaginative and one of my favourites the characters are brilliant and its solid believability right through
Lilanthi
Horror of horrors....in every imaginable form!
J.F. Penn
awesome book - rediscovered on Kindle, first published in 1987 and you can only really tell because of the telephone technology. But this is a good scary read, with a mad psychic needing protection from imagined enemies that leads to an eerie estate where something evil lurks in the sepulchre under-neath. Would have been horror once, but would now be a supernatural thriller.
Anne
Oct 11, 2009 Anne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Anne by: anne.kolle@yahoo.com
A great book to go to sleep by. . . Tired to mimic too many genres and left me wondering where the author was trying to go with the plot, the purpose, and the characters. Some interesting relationships, but overall I'd have rather filled my time with something more worthwhile.
Thelma Gabbett
Terrible book wouldn't recommend it
Kathi
Week 11 of the 2015 Reading Challenge: Book with a one word title. I think the fact that it took me nearly two weeks to finish pretty much sums it up. It was not good. Not the worse book I've read but wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Tanya
Oct 06, 2012 Tanya added it
The first James Herbert book I read. Fantatic. I lent it to someone about 10 years ago and never got it a back. I was a huge James Herbert fan in the late 80's early 90's. Still have the books so must put them on my re read list.
Dilys
One of James Herbert,s best horror novels yet. Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end which is a good sign. Weird & despicable characters & a spot of cannibalism to boot which makes the stomach churn. well worth a read.
2015 Reading Chal...: Sepulchre by James Herbert 2 5 Mar 25, 2015 04:43AM
  • Assassin
  • Death Dream (Night Warriors, #2)
  • Funland
  • The Manitou (Manitou, Book 1)
  • Among the Missing
  • Nailed by the Heart
  • The Devil Rides Out (Duke de Richleau, #6) (Black Magic, #1)
  • Bloodstone
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
  • House of Blood
  • Houses without Doors
  • The Ignored
James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction.

He was one of our greatest popular novelists, whose books are sold in thirty-three other languages, including Russian and Chinese. Widely imitated and hugely influential, his 19 novels have sold more than 42 million
More about James Herbert...
The Fog The Rats (Rats, #1) The Dark The Secret Of Crickley Hall Haunted (David Ash, #1)