Start by marking “The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike” as Want to Read:
The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike

The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike was written by Philip K. Dick in the winter and spring of 1960, in Point Reyes Station, California. In the sequence of Dick’s work, The Man Whose Teeth was written immediately after Confessions of a Crap Artist; the next book Dick wrote was The Man in the High Castle, the Hugo Award–winning science fiction novel that ushered in th...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by Tor Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike

Guy Salvidge
Philip K. Dick’s mainstream novels, all but one of which remained unpublished until after his death in 1982, are normally regarded as the poor cousins of his science fiction works. To an extent this attitude is justified, but some of his mainstream novels are better than he is normally given credit for. At the time they were written, in the 50s and the early 60s, these novels were seen as too strange and too bleak to be publishable (and too poorly titled: The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Ali...more
Ryandake
this is a book about a small town, and it makes me thank the gods i don't believe in that i don't live in one. a small town, not a book.

i've read Philip K. Dick's sf. this book is not sf. it does make me wonder why he never developed a mainstream following, if this is the caliber of his non-sf works.

the story follows friends and neighbors in the little town on Carquinez, circa 1960. two families are center stage: the Dombrosios and the Runcibles. Sherry Dombrosio wants a job; Leo Runcible wants...more
Sean O'Leary
Wow this is clearly one of PKD's most underappreciated masterpieces. I went into it being worried I wouldn't like it because of the lack of any science fiction elements from which he became famous for but by the end I felt impressed. The book manages to entertain on the level of his actual science fiction books but rather than rely on fancy futuristic gizmos or alternate realities it relies on giving its characters very deep emotions which is very entertaining on a psychoanalytic level.
The no...more
Christiane
Themistocles
A thoroughly enjoyable early Dick book, at least for Dick's fans. While at some points the scenario *almost* seems to be all over the place, there are lots of Dick's later ideas spurting up: authenticity/reality, the oppressive wife and the broken man, defeat in life...

While there's no real culmination (and even the supposed focal point, the teeth, appears very late in the book), the story is interesting and well described.

On one hand, one feels pity for Dick's failure as a mainstream literatur...more
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
Jun 12, 2010 This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PKD enthusiasts and completionists
Shelves: fiction
I'm a PKD fan, but there's a good reason his mainstream fiction didn't sell while he was alive.

The first half of this book really bored me, although I found the second half much more interesting, up until the end which was a bit flat. He seems to write the same, unsympathetic tedious characters across all of his non-SF. The characters in this book are largely indistinguishable from those of other non-SF books he wrote, such as In Milton Lumky Territory or Puttering About in a Small Land.+
Zach
Not a science fiction book.

The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike is a story of marital strife in rural Marin County, CA, in the sixties. It follows two dysfunctional married couples involved in a petty feud as they each ruin their relationships and lives with eachother's help. Each couple has a domineering partner and a submissive one: Leo Runcible is a harsh blowhard who buffets his shrinking wife, Janet; and Sherry Dombrosio is an aggressive woman who insists on "wearing the pants" that h...more
Suzana Vuksanovic
When I think "Philip K.Dick", I think of some of the most memorable (science) fiction that I have ever read. When I think "Philip K.Dick", I think of the best books I have ever read.
This book was not amongst them.
I have a copy of Philip K. Dick's previous novel, entitled Confessions of a Crap Artist, although I have not been able to force myself to read it yet. The copy of The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike I borrowed from the local library. Of this I am glad: it is not a book I would...more
M.A. Kropp
I follow all the Tor Books Facebook feeds and one Sunday, they posted a giveaway where if you were the first person to comment, you got three P.K. Dick novels. I was that first person and that is how I got this book.

I knew P.K. Dick primarily for his science fiction work, particularly Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and it's movie adaptation, Blade Runner. None of the three books I got were science fiction, but I knew I liked his writing, so decided they were worth a try.

The book was writte...more
Phillip
This book is arguably the best of Philip K. Dick's mainstream literary works. In my opinion, the other that is closest in quality is "Voices from the Street". Both novels present stories that flow satisfyingly from their initial concept without their plots becoming forced, a significant problem in PKD's other mainstream literary works.

I place both "The Man Whose Teeth..." and "Voices from the Street" above "Confessions of a Crap Artist", the only one of PKD's mainstream literary works to be pub...more
Jack Stovold
My Philip K. Dick Project

Entry #18 - The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike (written early 1960, published posthumously Jun. 1984)

The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike is another solid, entertaining “realist” novel from Philip K. Dick, nearly as good, in my opinion, as Confessions of a Crap Artist. Confessions was about many things, its chief theme being that everyone is probably crazy. Teeth is about causality, how little things we do snowball and affect others around us, and how impo...more
C.A. Chicoine
"The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike" is a realist novel.

"Originally completed in 1960, this book was initially rejected by potential publishers, and posthumously published by a small press in 1984, two years after PKD's death." (-Wikipedia)

The setting is in the late 1950's -- and the attitudes and prejudices are evident throughout the story in the characters.

There is a lot of inner struggle going on within the internal dialogue of the characters. So, the reader gets different perspectiv...more
David
The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike, Philip K Dick, 304 pg.

This book is from PKD's selection of non-science-fiction stories. If I remember correctly, he wrote most of these stories early on in his career; they weren't very popular and remained unpublished until fairly recently. These books tell the stories of small towns in the mid-twentieth century. The people all know each other and nothing exciting really happens, but PKD is able to tell these stories with a high level of detail that a...more
John
This was written in 1960 by an author better known for his dystopic sci fi which often became movies like Minority Report, Total Recall and Blade Runner. A friend of mine is a huge fan of Dick's suburban novels, comparing them favorable to James Frey. I admire The Man's minimalism but oddly King's 11/22/63 seemed somehow better at capturing the period's zeitgeist. This is probably because once writers have a few years or miles from their subjects, they are better at depicting it with some artist...more
David
One of Dick's early, realistic novels - and, typically, it's unlike any other realistic novel you've read. It's about neighbourly disputes in a respectable neighbourhood, but also about people's willingness to believe improbable things if they fit a particular worldview. As always, Dick tells a story well. One of his great virtues was that, alongside his penchant for remarkable ideas, he also knew how to keep the reader happy by drawing convincing characters and putting them in interesting situa...more
Sheryl Garratt
Really dated examination of gender and race in the CA suburbs, though well-written like all his work.
Dennis
A slice of American, small town life. quite amusing and the story trucks along quite nicely.
J.P.
This novel was rejected by publishers when the author was alive. To the best of my knowledge, he never attempted to change it to get it accepted. This, along with other books by authors who didn't intend them for publication while alive should never have been released. Those in control of the legal rights are making quick and easy bucks and in the process making an author who in this case was fantastic seem a little less so. My suggestion is if you must read it, pick up a copy in a library
Susan
I think it was an interesting look into human relations. It especially speaks to the time period in which it was written. It makes me wonder what he was thinking...what he intended, if anything. Did he intend to create something that would show the ridiculousness of pregidous through so many different angles? Or was he just writing something pertinent to the time period? Hmmm. Anyway, I thought it was a well written piece, and an enjoyable read.
Mkb
Not my kind of book. (People in a small town being unhappy.)
Chip
I enjoyed the trip back to the late 1950's/early 1960's... there's a literary vacuum in that time period, a time when everyone was expected to drink and smoke, few folks had TVs or microwave ovens, air conditioning consisted of opening a window and rock and roll wasn't even on the horizon. Books like this document a forgotten time in our recent past and deserve a place of distinction in the historical lexicon.
Squeasel
9/10.

Excellently portrays the banal daily hatreds that can leach in amongst friends and spouses, building to poisonous levels. Bleak. Bitter.

Now excuse me while I run back to immerse myself in some probably crappy escapist fantasy to try and recover some optimism, or tolerance for being human, or at least distract myself by snarking about things that have no foreboding inner echoes.
Timothy White
This is a must read! Dick explores suburban America and it's different values and the potential impacts of many of their downsides on the characters lives. There is a good dose of irony that brings the book to a shocking "end" and will leave the reader touched forever. The undercurrent of hatred is remarkable in how it can surround us in our "everyday, everyman/woman lives."
Susan
This novel demonstrates that Dick can't write just about science fiction, but also about marriage, gender, race, betrayal, and community - all elements in his book, but here uncloaked and emphasized. I think it can stand up to its own against Albee.

SPOILERS

Also has common Dick theme of man regressing evolutionarily, or bits of man never evolving at all.
Eliza
Admittedly not the best introduction to Philip K. Dick, but the new edition was on the New shelf at the library and I'd just seen the trailer for Adjustment Bureau, so there ya go.

I gave up on this book. It wasn't the typical Philip K. Dick I wanted an introduction to. And frankly, it was pretty boring instead. I'll try one of his classics instead.
Dennis Willingham
Not your usual Dick story, an odd little book. Some interesting riffs on rationalization and circular logic but they never really take off. You could see Dick didn't really have a talent to build "normal" contemporary stories, if he had gone way over the top and made it more of an absurdist story I think it would have worked better.
Bruce Oliver
Not exactly what I was expecting. I was interested in reading Philip K. Dick because of his science fiction works. This is not science fiction. I did however, enjoy reading this novel set in the early 1960's. I thought it was well written with many insightful descriptions of characters and their physical surroundings.
Maxine
Catfat
Les relations humaines vues par un oeil cynique et malheureusement très réaliste... Impossible de ne pas se reconnaître un petit peu. Le prétexte de l'intrigue archéologique sert surtout à dégommer les habitants d'une petite ville en grande banlieue de San Francisco. Un roman amer et désanchanté.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
The 1st bk I read by Dick was "A Scanner Darkly". I wasn't that impressed. Then I read something else, maybe around 1984, & proceeded to read a bk or 2 a wk by him 'til I cdn't find anymore. This is one of the non-SF straight novels that he cdn't get published in his lifetime. The fools.
  • What If Our World is Their Heaven?: The Final Conversations
  • Malafrena
  • THE BROTHERS CRUNK - An 8-Bit Fack-It-All Adventure in 2D
  • The Third Mind
  • Gringos
  • Take Back Plenty (Tabitha Jute, #1)
  • 334
  • Replicant Night (Blade Runner, #3)
  • The Troika
  • The Day of Creation: A Novel
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. He briefly attended the University of California, but dropped out before completing any classes. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memo...more
More about Philip K. Dick...
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? A Scanner Darkly The Man in the High Castle Ubik Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said