Hair: The American Tribal Love-rock Musical

Hair: The American Tribal Love-rock Musical

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The score had more songs than typical Broadway shows of the day. Most Broadway shows had about 6-10 songs per act; Hair's total is in the thirties. The common Broadway lineup:
Act I
I'm Black/Colored Spade–Hud, Woof, Berger, Claude & Tribe
Manchester England–Claude & Tribe
Ain't Got No–...more
paper, 205 pages
Published January 1st 1970 by Pocket Books (NY) (first published 1967)

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston LerouxWicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement by Stephen SchwartzLes Miserables - Updated Edition by Alain BoubilThe Sound of Music by Richard RodgersFiddler on the Roof by Joseph Stein
best musicals
34th out of 97 books — 92 voters
Night by Elie WieselHoles by Louis SacharSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonCut by Patricia McCormickDune by Frank Herbert
Titles of Only One Syllable
72nd out of 367 books — 106 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
We saw the Milos Forman movie version on Saturday at the open-air cinema (vive Ciné Transat!) So here's the thing that baffles me. As quite a few people have pointed out, it seemed clear that it's a provocative religious allegory. We see a whole long sequence shot in a cathedral, and there are many explicit and implicit references to the Christian Church; a clear example is the early number "Sixteen Year Old Virgin" with its chorus "Hey (Ma)Donna".

So who's supposed to be Jesus? To me, it couldn'...more
Samantha
Jun 14, 2009 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading plays
I have been wanting to read the book version of this musical for quite a long time. Now that I am almost at the end of writing my research paper on theatre in the 1960's, I am glad that I read this book just a few weeks back. I saw the actual musical revival of "Hair" a few months ago and completely fell in love with it, and like with many shows that I see on Broadway, I try to read the book version afterwards to gain a deeper comprehension of the plot and songs. This book was written by Galt Ma...more
Erik Graff
Mar 27, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: students of the sixties
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: art
I think I saw this one with Ed Erickson after it had come to Chicago and after the album had been released. Although entertaining, I was somewhat appalled at the commercialization of what we thought of as "our" culture.
Elizabeth
Apr 22, 2011 Elizabeth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves musicals and hippies!
Shelves: broadway, amazing
Best musical ever! Makes me cry at the end during the best song flesh failures. AMAZING!!!
Melissa
loved the musical- loved the book
Amin
Amin marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Sandie
Sandie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Clarissa Lobo
Clarissa Lobo marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Lilith Storm
Lilith Storm marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Paul Dissinger
Paul Dissinger marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Ra-sean Holloway
Ra-sean Holloway marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Cathy Sweeney
Cathy Sweeney marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Kat
Kat added it
Jan 22, 2014
Celsea
Celsea added it
Jan 11, 2014
Sizwe Mngwevu
Sizwe Mngwevu marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Lili
Lili added it
Dec 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Two Gentlemen Of Verona Hair  - Fotonovel Hair -- Vocal Selections (Broadway Version): Piano/Vocal/Chords Selections from Hair