Start by marking “48 Liberal Lies About American History” as Want to Read:
48 Liberal Lies About American History

48 Liberal Lies About American History

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A historian debunks four-dozen PC myths about our nation?s past.

Over the last forty years, history textbooks have become more and more politically correct and distorted about our country?s past, argues professor Larry Schweikart. The result, he says, is that students graduate from high school and even college with twisted beliefs about economics, foreign policy, war, reli
Published September 4th 2008 by Sentinel HC (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 48 Liberal Lies About American History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 48 Liberal Lies About American History

How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) by Ann CoulterGodless by Ann CoulterSlander by Ann CoulterTreason by Ann CoulterGuilty by Ann Coulter
Awful Authors
25th out of 95 books — 8 voters
If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution by Elizabeth LevyCommon Sense by Thomas PaineThe 5000 Year Leap by W. Cleon SkousenThe Founders by Dennis Brindell FradinThe Making of America by W. Cleon Skousen
BOOKS FOR CONSTITUTION DAY
77th out of 78 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Elevate Difference
48 Liberal Lies About American History is a shocking read. In formatting this book, Larry Schweikart states a "liberal lie", and then provides evidentiary support to refute claims made. However, at times, he fails to realize that some of these "liberal arguments" are much more nuanced than the ones he posits.

Of particular interest is his take on “Lie # 14: Women had no rights in Early America.” Schweikart takes issue with Carol Berkin’s and Mary Beth Norton’s statement in Women of America that,
Diana
OK, so I got this book from my mother. Not one I would have picked up otherwise- the title alone is enough to make me cringe. However, taken with a grain of salt (as every political book ought to be taken) I found it very interesting. Anyone wanting to get to the truth ought to study both perspectives IMO.
Richard
Mar 31, 2009 Richard rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thinking people
Some new perspective on the old stories. Extensively footnoted, it allows the reader to go and do his/her own research to confirm/refute the assertions of either side of the argument. And, if you don't believe what he's saying in this book, please go do your own research and THEN write your review.
Bala
The book is twisted. I did not enjoy it.
History of any nation is prone to get revised as time goes on. Leaders, who are common men/women, get elevated to a hero/demi-god status. Facts get left out and only accomplishments are remembered.
Not all revisionist historians have a hidden agenda. It is simply their intepretation and understanding of the facts.
This book is trying too hard to paint other authors as vicious liberal lie mongers.
Sean Chick
I think this book would make more sense if he substituted "liberal" for "New Left" because that is who he is really attacking. As a liberal I found this book insulting. As a historian, I disagree with many of his assertions. As someone who has not even been taught half the "myths" he "explodes", I find it comical.
Kathy
A thinly veiled excuse to justify the Bush presidency, I don't know why I even bothered.
Linda Munro
One important aspect about this book is the continuation of the title..."that you probably learned in school"

So what did I think of this book? I was extremely interested in the book because of the extended portion of the title; I was actually concerned about what my grandchildren (or maybe even me)was or had learned concerning American history. First and foremost; I was never taught any of these so-called lies, not in grammer school, not in Junior or Senior high and not in college. So, I began t
Brian S. Wise
Here is another book that collapses under the weight of its own gimmick. Books like “48 Liberal Lies” happen because there is a desire among writers and publishers to produce books that rely on gimmicks to grab and hold the modern American’s attention span. With forty-eight chapters, no particular repudiation is allowed to take up too much room, meaning that the reader is often privy to only rough sketches of an argument against something.

You’ll rarely hear me say this, but this book should have
Emily
Jun 02, 2010 Emily added it
I could not finish this book. I am not an extreme liberal or an extreme conservative, but I do like to stay informed of both view points. This book made that actually impossible. Most of the "lies" were things I have never even heard about and the author's explanation did not make sense. He picked small parts to over-emphasize and just did not stop.

One sticks out in my mind: that Columbus, himself, actually killed millions of indigenous Americans. Has anyone else ever made that claim? In the his
Sheryl Tribble
I detest the title of this book. "Liberal Lies" is both inflammatory and inaccurate. Although I would guess most people know what he means, the definition of "liberal" is hotly disputed, and if he bothers to tell us exactly what he means by it, I missed it. And while these "lies" are certainly taught, I'd hazard a guess that most people teaching them believe in them, so they are not taught by "lying liars" but by people who're either misinformed or don't understand what really happened. Or, in a ...more
Debbi
Each of the 'lies' was summarized in a few, concise pages. There were several that I remembered having been 'taught' -- and some that were so outrageous, I was stunned that anyone believes such drivel. For those who are convinced that they don't like history or that nothing important is ever misconstrued or misrepresented, this is a perfect book.
William
Good overview of some of the major flaws in modern college history texts. Should be read as a companion to typical college history texts.
Munchausen_trilemma
everything true is false
everything good is bad
everything right is wrong
your buffalo killed my indians
Ruth Ann
We want to believe the distortion of history when it fits within our prejudicial paradigm.
Larry Rolfes
This is an interesting book, but as others have noted, it's basic premise is nonsense. I know a lot of "liberals" and none of them believe the views represented in most of the "48 Liberal Lies".
Cate
My 15 year old cousin inspired me to read this book. I'm afraid to admit it but he was discussing with me some things he has been learning in school. I was shocked to hear him say that FDR knew about the attacks on Pearl Harbor ahead of time (even though that means there would be huge culpability on hundreds of radio operators in the military at that time). He also told me one of his teachers thought (and therefore teaches in class) that 9/11 was not the work of terrorists but an act of the US g ...more
A very interesting book - Larry Schweikart examines what he calls '48 Liberal Lies About American History' and seeks to debunk them based on facts, statistics, and (if that doesn't work) name-calling. I agreed with most of his conclusions (that it is a lie to say that women had no rights in early America, the early colonies were intolerant and racist, early America was home to few guns or gun owners, the Scopes Trial proved that Darwin was correct and Christians were backward, etc.) but I disagr ...more
Luis
Although I do not believe every "fact" written in this book, the author shows how we may believe certain aspects oh history according to whom does the story telling. There are some very interesting facts that the author attempts to refute, although personally I have done research in some of these areas and still believe the data I did, rather than the authors. Overall, it is well written and informative, even if I don't like the information it is telling me.
Jim
Enlightening and sad that many of the well intentioned liberal programs started by Woodrow Wilson, FDR, Johnson and others have resulted in unintended consequences. History textbooks have painted a different picture of reality. Our economy and society has suffered as a result.
Backed by facts the author calls out these 48 lies fostered on our education system at the hands of liberal authors.
History is often portrayed as a set of lies agreed upon.
Anna
Oct 23, 2012 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
This book is very eye-opening. You know the saying those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it? Well, it's a bit hard to learn from history when the history that is being taught and learned is such a slanted view of what actually happened. The same mistakes will be made over and over again, and the liberals will just put the focus and the blame on someone else.

A lot of these lies are hurting our country right now. :(
Amber Habig
If you've read Howard Zinn and listened to NPR for years as I have, this book is one way to clarify misconceptions while adding some new ones. For instance, did you know it's ok to ignore the constitution as long as you're a republican? Fancy that. And, going off the gold standard was the one smart move of a democratic president? Why should our economy be based on sound principles anyway?
Tom
Great book tackling some tough subjects exposing liberal bias' in our textbooks. I like that it is well sourced and not simply an opinion book. Also gives good examples of the fallout of some of our political policies, what Thomas Sowell calls "Beyond Stage One" thinking.
Reynolds S
Very interesting book. It does shatter the images that have been portrayed by teachers, the media, and others about events in our history. While each subject gets a cursory explanation, the author provides plenty of references should you desire to explore any of the subjects further.
Tom Talamantez
Kevin
The nice thing about the book is that it touches a many topics in quick fashion. More could be said about each topic, but that would be left for further study. A good compliment to Michael Medved's "10 Myths about America".
Gary
Fairly interesting book. Not really anything that any serious student of history that is interested in truth and reality rather than pushing a political agenda should not be able to figure out with just common sense.
Ger
Our history has been re-written and reflects the liberal leanings of the authors. Larry Schweikart and a few others are trying to set the record straight. I recommend this book. It is an easy read.
Larry Schweikart cites "The American Pagaent" textbook multiple times throughout the book. "American Pagaent" was in fact, my AP US history textbook in high school. Thanks high school.
Mark Polino
I must have had a better education than most because while I've heard most of these lies, none of them made into into my textbooks! I found it a fast, interesting, well researched read.
Jessica
Sep 14, 2009 Jessica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-get
Once again, I want to read the conservative view even though I am fairly sure I won't agree with it.
  • Original Intent: The Courts, the Constitution, & Religion
  • Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies
  • The Shadow Party: How George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Sixties Radicals Seized Control of the Democratic Party
  • New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
  • The Making of America: The Substance and Meaning of the Constitution
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization
  • Race And Culture: A World View
  • Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies
  • Fleeced: How Barack Obama, Media Mockery of Terrorist Threats, Liberals Who Want to Kill Talk Radio, the Do-Nothing Congress, Companies That Help Iran, and Washington Lobbyists for Foreign Governments Are Scamming Us...and What to Do About It
  • While Europe Slept: How Radical Islam is Destroying the West from Within
  • An Enemy Hath Done This
  • Who Killed the Constitution?: The Assault on American Law and the Unmaking of a Nation
  • The Real George Washington
  • The 10 Big Lies about America: Combating Destructive Distortions about Our Nation
  • The Grand Jihad: How Islam and the Left Sabotage America
  • The Obama Nation
  • The Communist
A Patriot's History of the United States: From Columbus's Great Discovery to the War on Terror Seven Events That Made America America: And Proved That the Founding Fathers Were Right All Along What Would the Founders Say?: A Patriot's Answers to America's Most Pressing Problems Patriot's History ® of the Modern World, Vol. II: From the Cold War to the Age of Entitlement, 1945-2012 America's Victories: Why the U.S. Wins Wars and Will Win the War on Terror