Start by marking “The Power of a Praying Parent” as Want to Read:
The Power of a Praying Parent

The Power of a Praying Parent

4.47  ·  Rating Details ·  4,055 Ratings  ·  223 Reviews
Stormie Omartian's bestselling The Power of a Praying series (more than 28 million copies sold) is rereleased with fresh new covers and new material to reach a still-growing market of readers eager to discover the power of prayer for their lives.

This beautiful padded hardcover edition of The Power of a Praying Parent (2 million copies sold) will surely find a new home in t
Hardcover, Deluxe Edition, 224 pages
Published September 1st 2007 by Harvest House Publishers (first published July 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of a Praying Parent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of a Praying Parent

Leigh
Dec 08, 2012 Leigh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So if I were rating this book just for the prayers I would give it a 5. If I were rating the part where the author writes about each prayer topic I'd give it a 2. I should have just bought the book of prayers! The prayers are excellent and there's enough to pray one each day of the month for your child. Really liked this.

Now, I am a full believer in the power of prayer. But what I didn't care for in this book was the author's attitude that if you simply pray for your children bad things won't h
Adam Nelson
Mar 02, 2011 Adam Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An invaluable tool for parents. I think my only caveat with this book is that Omartian gets me worrying a bit more than I should be for my child's welfare. Every parent loses sleep because of their child, and when their child sleeps all the way through the night, we're all wondering if they're dead or just kept awake by thoughts of what could happen to them in the moment we're not there for them. I also worry about screwing my kids up, which I think just because I'm their dad, I'm already doing ...more
Latonya
Jan 22, 2009 Latonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our children need our prayers. The enemy is out to destory their lives because to stop them is to stop generations to come who will expose his darkness to a dying world and lead many to Jesus Christ. If you are discouraged and don't know what to do about your children this is the book to read. If your children are on the right path, don't get cocky. We still have to maintain. This is the book for you as well.
Eleanor Hoppe
May 29, 2012 Eleanor Hoppe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great guide to praying for your kids - adding a foundational element to praying with and for your children. Organized in small chapters so you can prioritize. Some of the narration can seem a bit over the top, but the topics covered are valuable and the prayers are powerful. My biggest hesitation is the sense that praying in this way comes across as a guarantee of a certain outcome - and that is not a promise I hear in scripture.
Danielle Decker
This book is a valuable tool for all parents who desire the best for their children. Having the best means being a child of God. Each of the 30 chapters in this book by Stormie Omartian is a different prayer topic and includes prayers and Bible verses. This is the second time that I have read The Power of a Praying Parent and will turn to it again and again.
Amy Walker
Jun 13, 2012 Amy Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very instrumental in changing the way I pray for my children. It was one of those books I had noticed a hundred times at people's houses or at book stores but was always reluctant to pick up. Finally, I did and it was totally God's timing. Reading through Stormie's very practical advice and suggestions for prayer it was literally helping me on a daily basis deal with some frustrating issues with my kids. I would recommend this book to all parents who are serious about advocating fo ...more
Mary
Feb 07, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I have had my copy since 2002 and I still use it and read it. I find it helpful when I don't know where to start sometimes praying for my children. I love how she has so much scripture incorporated into her prayers as well for God has said that His word will not return void. I have seen God answer my prayers concerning my children. This book help me to realize that they belong to Him first and foremost and if anything I am to be faithful as a parent and leave the rest up to Him.
Joanna
Jan 01, 2009 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite non-fiction Christian books. I've been humbled over the last fifteen years at how little control I have over my children's choices and actions. Prayer, when I follow the daily, active discipline, has allowed me to "let go and let God." I gave my copy of this book to a friend who really needed it, and Pam's review reminded me to buy another!
Melva
Feb 03, 2010 Melva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We need all the help we can get in this messed up world and I believe in the power of prayer. This book gives messages on character development, peer pressure, school, friends, relationship with God, family relationships, etc. and teaches you how to pray for our children (whether 3 or 35) - or, for your grandchildren.
Linda Sedillo
Feb 14, 2017 Linda Sedillo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would strongly recommend this book to all parents. It contains amazing prayers on everything we should be praying for our children. Sometimes we forget God wants us to pray for every single thing in our children's lives. I am extremely grateful to have read this book.
Wendy
Jan 13, 2015 Wendy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, christian
Referred to me by COL Green, I Corps Commanding Chaplain.
CJ Bowen
Think of Stormie as a wise and godly older Charismatic mom who is attending and contributing to your Bible study, rather than teaching the study. Let her share her thoughts, wisdom, and experiences, and you will benefit from a great deal of it. Occasionally, though, she'll need to be pushed to explain what she means by "releasing God's power". She'll benefit from being challenged as to whether she's thinking of prayer too mechanistically when she says that if she'd had praying parents, she and h ...more
Amanda McKenzie
I absolutely love this book. As a parent, it taught me a lot of things that my child needs prayer for, in every aspect of their lives. It was nice because there was a personal connection made in the devotion, then an example of a prayer about that specific topic, and then 5-6 verses that apply to what was prayed about. For me personally, my prayer life is not the strongest, and I often feel like I don't know *how* to pray, so by reading the example prayers in the book I was able to get an idea o ...more
Maria
Sep 03, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this several years ago and as with THE POWER OF A PRAYING WIFE, I have my old, falling apart copy. I should update, I guess. I highly recommend this as a mother of four children, for anyone trying to raise their family in a Godly and Christian way. It is written in a daily devotional form with prayers and sciptures for each topic. It has a clear message. As God has a plan for our lives, so has the enemy. But we can do great damage to the enemy's plans for our children, which is havoc and ...more
Becky Giovagnoni
My faith has changed quite a lot in the last few years. While I found the actual prayers themselves helpful, the explanation behind them was way too black and white for me. "If this happens, it's because you weren't praying this..." I don't believe at all that life is that black and white. This is too simplistic of an approach to God and prayer and faith.
Karen
Sep 19, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents
Shelves: spirit
Any book on prayer by Stormie Omartian has always proved to be excellent... She's very down to earth, and optimistic at the same time. Has good knowledge of scripture, and doesn't take things out of context to suit her end.
Joanne
Sep 29, 2011 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I go back and re-read this book every couple of years or so and it's always such an inspiration to me and a wonderful reminder of where we as parents really need to keep our focus. I've read a couple of her other "praying" books and well and they are wonderful
Sara
Nov 12, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, abandoned
Like this a lot - its helping me focus my prayer life a bit better on my kids and giving me a little more form and specificity as well.

However, not a book I'm reading cover to cover... Just picking it up when I need it.
Karen L.
Apr 24, 2008 Karen L. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
This was written more from her own life experiences and bible verses. It would have been more enticing if she added stories of praying parents, fathers, mothers or grand parents. St.Augustine's mother really prayed for him!
Coralee Romett skebeck gionta
What a way to feel empowered about the lives of your children, give it all to God! Love this book & getting it for every parent I know.
Sheri
Apr 25, 2016 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second time reading this book. I read a chapter a day and really felt empowered after praying each prayer. I highly recommend this book for parents.
Jennifer Baker
Jul 02, 2016 Jennifer Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible tool for parents.
Valerie
Mar 29, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another MUST READ for raising children in the direction they are meant to go. Even if you don't have children now, you can start praying for your future ones to come - God willing!
Erin
Jul 18, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
My feelings about this book are all over the place. While reading it, it's like you're a 49er panning for small tidbits of gold though murky, sandy water. I went into this book expecting it to be a lot like an Elizabeth George book, straightforward Christian guidance in prayer for your children. This book had some of that; there were nuggets of truth in there that I appreciated, but there were other times when my eyebrows almost made it to my hairline. Each chapter is about an area in which you ...more
Sandy
Nov 13, 2013 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2014
I'm not a parent yet, but Husband and I are getting close to expanding our family. So when the opportunity came up to read and review The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian, I jumped on it without thinking twice. I can't give you testimony of how these prayers have worked to change my children's lives because I just don't have children yet, but throughout her other books, Stormie Omartian has taught me that I don't have to wait until prayers are needed over a specific topic in order t ...more
Sara Hollar
I quickly realized this book was not going to be tremendously helpful to me. I sensed early that the author views prayer as something that we do to make good things happen for us (for our children). There are many quotes that show her belief that prayer is the reason bad things do not happen:

"But the good news is that if we had not been praying, they might have been killed or sustained serious & permanent injuries."
"Remember, if you don't pray for your children's eternal future, they may not
Jason Grubbs
Jan 01, 2013 Jason Grubbs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read several books on parenting and have preached many sermons on Biblical parenting. I am the parent of four, including two teens. Lately, I have been feeling more and more dependent on the Lord than ever when it comes to being a parent. I wished I would have felt this way when they were toddlers and would have read this book and prayed more faithfully and intentionally for my children.

This book gives you 30 different ways in which you can pray for your child, including praying for their
Neil Coulter
Jul 13, 2015 Neil Coulter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've used these prayers for years. When I moved back to the US earlier this year, I gave away my copy of The Power of a Praying Parent, but then purchased the newest edition soon after the move. What's new in the latest edition?

**New introductions by Omartian's son and daughter, which are added to the introductions they wrote for the first two editions. It's nice to see their perspective as they've grown up.
**A new chapter on praying through the teenage years. Helpful for me, since I now have on
Janelle
Read my review on "Praying Wife" to hear my thoughts on the author herself. I found the same writing style reading her next book "Praying Parent" as I did "Praying Wife". In regards to the actual content, these are my thoughts:

I found it much more relevant than her other book as all the prayer points relate to children generally, as opposed to being based on certain aspects of their life, depending on what they are doing/where they are at (which was the case with praying for her husband). That s
Hilary
As always, I find Stormie Omartian's books both inspirational and humbling. They always inspire me to do more, to pray more and read the Bible more, and I feel humbled by the example of such a prayerful woman, scared by all the things I hadn't thought about, and then very glad that I can leave God in control.

My own little prayers seem quite small and vague in comparison, so I was very glad to see the thorough and Biblical prayers she included in each chapter. Some may seem repetitious, especial
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas For Everyday Discipline
  • Boundaries with Kids: When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Help Your Children Gain Control of Their Lives
  • The New Dare to Discipline
  • A Mom After God's Own Heart: 10 Ways to Love Your Children
  • Making Children Mind without Losing Yours
  • Praying the Scriptures for Your Children: Discover How to Pray God's Will for Their Lives
  • Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls
  • The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • Successful Christian Parenting
  • For Parents Only: Getting Inside the Head of Your Kid
  • Grace-Based Parenting
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three
  • The Blessing
  • The Power of a Positive Mom
  • The Five Love Languages of Teenagers
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother (Pilgrimage Growth Guide)
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
Stormie Omartian is an award-winning bestselling author and speaker who personally connects with readers and listeners by sharing her experiences and illustrating how God transforms lives when we learn to trust in Him.

The strength and transparency of Stormie’s message has driven her books to the top of the bestsellers list. More than 26 million copies have been sold worldwide of her "Power of Pray
More about Stormie Omartian...

“Pray that your children will develop a heart that seeks after God.” 2 likes
“Children who have faith have distinctly different characteristics from those who don't. In fact, one of the main manifestations of a person with strong faith is the ability to give—not just in terms of money or possessions, but also time, love, and encouragement.” 2 likes