Start by marking “Into the Inferno” as Want to Read:
Into the Inferno

Into the Inferno

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Earl Emerson, bestselling author of Vertical Burn, turns up the heat with this dynamic, fact-based depiction of the world of firefighting. In a frantic race against time, one man must unlock the secret to his own potential demise and that of his entire department—as they venture . . .

INTO THE INFERNO

In the freezing heart of the Pacific Northwest winter, a group of firefig
Published June 29th 2004 by Fawcett (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Inferno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Inferno

Ed
Dec 13, 2014 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: thriller
A 2003 non-series novel by Earl Emerson known for his Mac Fontana and Thomas Black series. After 1998, he stopped writing fiction series and produced 6 non-series firefighting thrillers between 2002 and 2008. In 2009, he published Cape Disappointment, a return to his Thomas Black series, his last book to date. His book jacket blurbs list him as a Lieutenant with the Seattle Fire Department.

Firefighting Thriller - Three firefighters were already dead or brain-dead when Stan Beebe told Lt Jim Swop
Steve
If a writer is doing his job, he’ll research his topic before writing. You can always tell the good ones because they never get the little details wrong.
Then you have writers like Earl Emerson. Emerson knows his subjects, in this case firefighters, because he himself is a member of the Seattle Fire Department. He knows what it is like to walk into a burning building. He doesn’t need to talk to an expert, because he lives this every day. Emerson is also a very talented writer.
Emerson has alread
Lora
Good story. The main character is a single-father firefighter at a small department who, along with 5 or 6 other people, is exposed to a toxic spill in a truck accident. Six weeks later, everyone starts getting mildly sick which quickly blossoms and turns fatal--at least for the brain--in 7 days. With help from his girlfriend's sister, he figures out what happened, and barely (really, barely!), finds a cure for the 2 people--himself and another firefighter--who haven't already gone braid-dead. D ...more
Stefan
Donna
Not many of the scary books I read give me bad dreams, but I had to stop reading this at bedtime and reserve it for other times instead. Emerson, himself a firefighter, knows exactly what can go wrong in a fire, and he spins a riveting adrenaline rush of a tale that is nearly impossible to put down till the last page has been turned.

Novels with supernatural boogeymen do not bother me. I know that they are fictional. This was entertaining, yet also disturbing, because it could have happened. It r
Chris Holling
I may be a bit biased toward this book. This is a story of a Firefighter dealing with his own battles as well as battles of the Fire Department. He goes on a call that changes himself and his whole crew from that day on. While this is approached as fiction, the reality of it by the author due to him being a firefighter himself is phenomenal. It is a good story also one of firefighter's worst nightmares.
Bree
The book started off slow for me - I wanted to like it but he seemed to ramble on and on about nothing. After I got used to the writing style, and as the plot picked up as his time ran out, I really enjoyed the book. The ending was a bit confusing...I actually have to go back and read it now that I'm a bit more awake. Overall, a good read, though.
Debra
Firefighter Jim Swope comes down with a mysterious illness--one that has killed or left brain dead every other member of a fire call months earlier. Turns out, the illness gives you only 7 days to live--and he's on day 3 already!
Deborah P.
Dec 24, 2007 Deborah P. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like fast paced thrillers
A really quick, action-packed read with a really likeable main character.
Mainrun
Can't remember this one too.
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Jean
Jean added it
Oct 24, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
  • The Abduction
  • Murder on the Ile Saint-Louis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #7)
  • Through the Fire
  • The Breathtaker
  • First Avenue
  • Pandemic
  • Dark End of the Street
  • The Lords' Day (Harry Jones, #1)
  • A Girl in Parts
  • Trial Run
  • The Last Confession: A Crime Novel
  • Found (Matt Royal Mystery #8)
  • The Death of an Irish Tinker (Peter McGarr, #13)
  • The Twelfth Tablet
  • A Long December
  • Suspect
  • The Outside of August
  • Capital Murder
Earl Emerson is a lieutenant in the Seattle Fire Department. He is the Shamus Award-winning author of Vertical Burn, as well as the Thomas Black detective series. He lives in North Bend, Washington.
More about Earl Emerson...
The Rainy City (Thomas Black, #1) Fat Tuesday (Thomas Black, #4) Deception Pass (Thomas Black, #10) Poverty Bay (Thomas Black, #2) Yellow Dog Party (Thomas Black, #6)