Start by marking “Doctor Who: I Am a Dalek” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: I Am a Dalek
Preview

Doctor Who: I Am a Dalek (Doctor Who: Quick Reads #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  962 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Equipped with space suits, golf clubs and a flag, the Doctor and Rose are planning to live it up, Apollo mission-style, on the Moon. But the TARDIS has other plans, landing them instead in a village on the south coast of England; a picture-postcard sort of place where nothing much happens. Until now...

An archaeological dig has turned up a Roman mosaic, circa AD 70, depicti
Published May 18th 2006 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Doctor Who by Jonathan MorrisDoctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Gary Russell
Doctor Who Books
6th out of 208 books — 88 voters
Doctor Who by Gareth RobertsDoctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Terrance DicksDoctor Who by Jacqueline Rayner
Doctor Who: Quick Reads
1st out of 7 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
A quick awesome read with Daleks!!!

WHO

The Doctor:

The Tenth Doctor

Companion:

Rose Tyler

WHERE & WHEN

England, 2006

WHAT

The Tenth Doctor plans to take Rose to the Moon (Earth’s moon) and fooling around a bit, like planting a Women’s Institute flag in some non-explored area to give a shock for future astronauts. Rose is excited since she will become the first woman in the Moon. Both of them are already in full space suits with oxigen tanks, helmets, all the deal...

...However, the TARDIS has
Connie
Source: I own this book.

Title: I Am A Dalek
Series: Doctor Who Quick Reads #1
Author: Gareth Roberts
Overall rating: 4 stars.

This is a quick little adventure between the Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler, as they prepare to go play golf on the moon, the TARDIS, as always, has other plans and lands in a small coastal village in England where a mysterious object has just been dug up at an archeological site. Not just any object though, a dalek. And when Rose meets Kate, a girl who got hit by a
Nancy Kelley
Others have mentioned that this is one of the Quick Reads novels geared at reluctant readers. Those reluctant readers need a solid story to keep them hooked, and I Am A Dalek did not disappoint. The action moves quickly, the story is solid but not complex, and the character motivations are easy to understand.

From a Who point of view, I liked the idea of a Dalek Factor. It holds up under what we discover in "Asylum of the Daleks," about the Daleks being about to turn living flesh into Daleks.

Th
Eilidh Dunsmore
Mar 05, 2015 Eilidh Dunsmore rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Whovians
Recommended to Eilidh by: Fangirls
I have such fond memories of this book, I must have read it probably twenty times since I got it when I was seven. I was, so proud at the time and I continue to applaud my good taste in fandom-related reading material. However, not so fond memories of when I tried to explain this book when I stood up in front of my third grade class and tried to explain the premise in a three minute book report.
Even after reading it so many times, I still like it. The way that the Doctor is captured is just perf
Rachael
Find my review on my blog here (& below):

'I Am a Dalek' is a Doctor Who Quick Reads novel. Quick Reads books are only 100 pages long and a designed to get people into reading by being short and not too daunting. I'm pretty sure this book was written for children but I enjoyed it all the same.

My favourite Doctor/Companion combo is Ten/Rose so it's awesome to get more stories with these two characters. The book opens with Rose and The Doctor in the TARDI
Aman Mittal
Better than the last few books on Doctor Who I read but still lacks the basic component: to indulge the reader in the story.

The plot seems fresh and good but the executing it into a story is not. Doctor Who along with his assistant Rose Tyler have plans for the Moon but TARDIS have other plans for them, landing them instead in a village on the south coast of England.

At the village: an archaeological dig has turned up a Roman mosaic, circa AD 70, depicting mythical scenes, grapes and a Dalek. A
Veronika
Dec 26, 2014 Veronika rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Whovians
It was my first regular english book, so it was something different. Although it was quite difficult, I liked it and I’ve learnt a lot of new words. I don’t believe I’ll remember all of them, but a few is still good. And about the book? As I said, it was different and quite difficult to understand, so I can't valorize it objectively. A lot of people say these books are terrible and something like the end of literature, but for me – english student – it's much better than some textbook, so I foun ...more
Artur Coelho
A capa prometia uma quick read e não desapontou. Esta série de livros capitaliza as icónicas personagens e lê-se com o mesmo espírito com que se vê ou revê um episódio televisivo. Ao contrário de outras novelizações não procura arcos narrativos abrangentes. É o que afirma ser. Uma leitura rápida, uma injecção de aventura na mente dos whovianos.

Desta vez após um passeio na lua o Doutor e a sua companheira - Billie Piper, para referência, descobrem-se numa pacata vila britânica que oculta um segr
Randy
The tenth Doctor and rose were supposed to be on the Moon. So when they leaped out the TARDIS doors, they were surprised to find themselves in an English pub. When the Doctor goes back in to find out what went wrong, the TARDIS suddenly takes off, leaving Rose.

It reappears at a dig of old Roman holdings a short distance away and the Doctor is surprised to find they've dug up a Dalek. A dead Dalek to be sure, but one hundreds of years old.

Meanwhile Rose witnesses a young woman in a hurry jump in
annik
В какой-то момент мне стало обидно за франшизу doctor who, ибо я успела восхититься спин-оффными аудиокнижками (torchwood и the sarah jane adventures), а собственно сам источник вдохновения прошел мимо меня. И взялась за первый квик-рид в 70 страничек, чтобы разогнаться и подготовиться к чему-нибудь неимоверно ангстовому и длинному.

Должна сказать, что моя любовь к whoniverse началась вовсе не с Доктора, а с Гвен и Джека. Увидев как-то по телеку бегущего чувака в плаще и диких монстров в плохих к
Amber Smoke
Booktube-a-thon read 2#

Right, this isn't a bad book. It's just not very good considering the characters it has adopted from a television series that was not written as a series of novels or shorter stories before hand.

The Doctor and Rose are slightly out of character in this book. Their actions are in character but it's the dialogue that wasn't working for me. Maybe I should treat this book as something separate to the television show but I honestly can't help comparing it.
My first point is,
Rachel
As a massive Doctor Who fan, as soon as I saw this in the charity shop, I had to have it. It was only 20p so it was a good deal. As a short story it was good and I like the author's attention to detail about the way the 10th Doctor and Rose spoke and acted around each other.

Plot: 3/5

As the title suggests, in this story, the Doctor and Rose come face to face with a Dalek on Earth. I liked the plot as it sounded just like a miniature episode of the TV show, with the right amount of running and sma
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/661769.html[return][return]Part of a special BBC series - the only Doctor Who title among them, as far as I can tell - for "people who either don't have much time to devote to reading or who have perhaps never been bitten by the reading bug". So I am not in the target audience then.[return][return]So, an odd mix of relatively simple language and large print, with relatively adult themes (implied sex, graphic exterminations). I have no idea if it will really succeed in ...more
Brian Manville
Short book - short review.

The basic story is that the 10th Doctor and Rose are planning some trolling of future archeologists by playing golf on the moon. Unfortunately, the TARDIS has taken them to modern-day England where a local excavation project has uncovered an ancient Dalek. Rose and the Doctor attempt to stop the Dalek from coming back to life and terrorizing the universe.

BOTTOM LINE: Too short a story (84 pages) for the $4.99 I paid for it. A good short story nonetheless.
Phoebe
Gareth Jones (who had previously written great bits for Doctor Who merchandise and other BBC television programs) has captured the 10th Doctor and Rose, as well as the relationship between them and the Dalek race (and of course the human race) perfectly!

The story starts off as it often does, by the TARDIS „mislanding“ someplace. Instead of the surface of the moon Rose and the Doctor find themselves on an English Island. As these things go, Rose is struggling to help a „almost-run-over-by-a-car“
Natasha
This book is really short (only about 100 pages long) so there isn't a lot of character description but since I already know the characters from tv I can fill in the blanks myself.

I could see this book being a huge disappointment to anyone that hadn't previously seen any of the 10th Doctor/Rose Tyler episodes of Doctor Who on tv.
Megan
'I Am A Dalek' is a 'Quick Reads' book targeted to a young adult audience. For example, the print is quite large and the length of the book is halved of what a normal Doctor Who book typical is. The characters do not have any sense of depth like they would in an 'adult' Doctor Who novel. The plot was straightforward and you could tell where it was going quite easily. Oddly there are tones that are not usually shown in young adult books such as sex and psychology. Despite all this, this novel has ...more
An Odd1
"I am a Dalek" by Gareth Roberts is based on the David Tennant Dr. Who and Rose TV episodes. Catastrophe strikes a British village in soft spring save- the-world time. I tried to envision my favorite runners in action, but the introspective moments possible in writing sidetracked the momentum. The visuals must have me hooked, because the resolution depending on a genetic aberration descendant preferring to be messily human? ooey-gooeyed me out. Sizzling radiation death rays from the last alien m ...more
Chad
The Doctor and Rose prepare to play golf on the moon, but end up at a site where a Dalek is uncovered from an ancient Roman artifact site. Around the same time a woman is fatally hit by a car, but comes back to life with her hair color changed. A mystery unravels as the ancient Dalek comes back to life and the woman begins to act strangely. The Doctor finds himself facing a new and dangerous force from an ancient enemy in this quick read story.

Overall, this was one of the quick reads Doctor Who
Marissa
It was amazing. For Christmas, my mom got me Doctor Who The Lost Adventure:Shada. I got this last night and finished it today. It was FANTASTIC, BRILLIANT, and COOL!
Matthew Vandrew

I wasn't thrilled much with this idea of quick reads, but, surprisingly, I enjoyed them. Authors tend to focus on the story and don't have space to ruin things.

Daniel Kukwa
I was dubious about this one. After all, this is part of a series of novels designed for people who aren't readers, or find difficulty reading large novels. I don't consider myself part of either group...so what was I about to encounter? Well, I shouldn't have worried: Gareth Roberts manages to weave his usual literary magic. This tiny book, that will take 45 minutes to read if you're lucky, is the equivalent of a fantastic episode of "Doctor Who" -- it's exciting, nail-biting, hilarious, terrif ...more
Anna
As far as a young readers book goes, I don't think you could go wrong with this book. This is a great book for those that are still transitioning from short story phase to novel. It has good pacing and a good plot. That being said, I felt that the characterization was severely lacking. Perhaps it was harder for me as an older reader to separate The Doctor personified on the show and The Doctor as portrayed in the book. This discordance really through me for a loop and kept me from sitting back a ...more
Lilac Flower
One of the best quick reads ever read, it remembered me a lot of "asylum of the daleks" but it's worth reading (and really cheap!)
Amanda
I am a huuuuuge Doctor Who fan, and my favorite Doctor is definitely David Tennant's Doctor. That being said, if you are not already a Doctor Who fan, this book is not for you. You will be totally lost, because it references episodes in the series fairly frequently.

So, fellow fans. I give this book 4 stars. I definitely enjoyed it, but it does not seem to be at the same caliber as the TV series. For example, Rose comes off as kind of a blonde giggle-box instead of the adventurous, strong woman s
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Fast paced and Roberts manages to squeeze in everything including an actual plot, something the series sometimes forgets to do.
Marie
For a Doctor Who novella, I quite liked it. The Doctor was his usual wonky self, Rose was... well, Rose and the Dalek fantastically exterminated.
Duckpondwithoutducks
The quality of a Doctor Who story totally depends on the writer. The writer of this one, Gareth Roberts, also wrote the Doctor Who television episodes Planet of The Dead (Special), The Lodger (Season 5) and Closing Time (Season 6). Those were really good episodes, and so was this book! The Doctor and Rose have their spacesuits on, ready to walk the moon, but on exiting the TARDIS find themselves in a pub on Earth. What's new? But then they find that some Roman ruins have a picture of a Dalek on ...more
Amber Baker
Quick story that was entertaining and had Rose and The Doctor doing their thing.
Tara Fitzgerald
A good bit of Dalek fun with David Tennant's Doctor Who.
  • Doctor Who: Made of Steel
  • Doctor Who: The Slitheen Excursion
  • Doctor Who: Martha in the Mirror (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: Sting of the Zygons
  • Doctor Who: Judgement of the Judoon
  • Doctor Who: The Eyeless
  • Doctor Who: The Story of Martha
  • Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #10)
  • Doctor Who: The Many Hands
  • Doctor Who: The Sontaran Games
  • Doctor Who: The Stealers of Dreams
  • Doctor Who: Autonomy
  • Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426
Gareth Roberts has written TV scripts for various soap operas (including Brookeside, Springhill, and Emmerdale), Randall & Hopkirk (deceased), the revival of Doctor Who, the Sarah Jane Adventures, and Wizards vs Aliens.

Also for the Doctor Who universe, he has written the interactive adventure Attack of the Graske, the mobile phone TARDISODEs accompanying the 2006 series, several Big Finish aud
More about Gareth Roberts...

Doctor Who: Quick Reads (7 books)
  • Doctor Who: Made of Steel
  • Doctor Who: Revenge of the Judoon
  • Doctor Who: The Sontaran Games
  • Doctor Who: Code of the Krillitanes
  • Doctor Who: Magic of the Angels
  • Doctor Who: The Silurian Gift
Doctor Who: Shada Doctor Who: Only Human Doctor Who: The One Doctor (Big Finish Audio Drama, #27) The Highest Science The Romance of Crime

“Rose, the moon is incredible. Everything down on Earth relies on it. Rats jump for it. Tides rush out from it. Humans kiss under it. Without it there'd be nothing down there worth the light. And that just happened by chance -trillions of odd against it- one bit of stardust meets another bit of dust.” 0 likes
“And what are the Daleks gonna do when they’ve exterminated everyone? Stroll through the meadows in floral skirts, making daisy chains?” 0 likes