Start by marking “Max Havelaar, of De koffiveilingen der Nederlandsche Handelmaatschappy” as Want to Read:
Max Havelaar, of De koffiveilingen der Nederlandsche Handelmaatschappy

Max Havelaar, of De koffiveilingen der Nederlandsche Handelmaatschappy

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  2,459 ratings  ·  138 reviews
De lange ondertitel van Max Havelaar, `of de koffij-veilingen der Nederlandsche Handel-Maatschappij , riep destijds veel kritiek op. Het boek leest inderdaad allerminst als een bedrijfsgeschiedenis. Veel meer is het een aanklacht: tegen koloniale uitbuiting en een corrupte bureaucratie in het Nederlands-Indië van de negentiende eeuw, en tegen de in eigen ogen oneerlijke b ...more
Published 1983 by Salamander (first published 1820)

Be the first to ask a question about Max Havelaar, of De koffiveilingen der Nederlandsche Handelmaatschappy

nanto
Ini buku bagus yang terlebih dulu saya nonton filmnya. Termasuk salah satu buku yang kemudian memunculkan kritik pedas terhadap kolonialisme di Hindia Belanda (lihat buku Robert Nieuwenhuys (ed.) “Bianglala Sastra” yang di-Indonesia-kan oleh Dick Hartoko, atau judul Inggrisnya Mirror of the Indies). Pengarangnya menggunakan nama pena Multatuli (He who has suffered much) atau nama aslinya Eduard Douwes Dekker. Masih ada hubungan darah dengan pahlawan nasional D. Setiabudi, bahkan kerap disalahsan ...more
Steve
Jun 27, 2014 Steve added it
Shelves: dutch
[This book has been translated into many, many languages, including English.]

In the words of J.J. Oversteegen, found in the Afterword of the Dutch edition I read, Max Havelaar (1860 - the uncensored version appeared in 1875) is "de grootste roman, die ooit in Nederland geschreven is" (the greatest novel ever written in the Netherlands). As the Afterword is dated 1983 and not 1883, such an assertion is bound to get my attention(*) since I have a high opinion of the work of Nescio and Harry Mulisc
Helvry Sinaga

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
(Lord Acton, Letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887)

Mungkin penyakit yang paling berbahaya tidak akan ditemukan di laboratorium, tetapi dalam semesta kehidupan, dan penyakit itu bernama korupsi. Penyakit tersebut telah lama ada, dan dengan sukses membiakkan dirinya dari generasi ke generasi. Eduard Douwes Dekker yang dikenal dengan nama pena Multatuli, menulis novel ini dengan protagonis Max Havelaar. Max Havelaar adalah seorang
Pvw
This book is like an onion. It is based on the collected writings of a certain Max Havelaar, a Dutch assistant-governor of the former colony of Java. His writings, originally in German, are translated by the young student Stern, who resides as a guest in Amsterdam, in the house of the selfish coffe tradesman Droogstoppel. It is this character, Droogstoppel, that supposedly tells the reader the different stories.

I have no idea why Multatuli chose this multi-layered technique. It does however allo
Sylvia
This is what you called a must read for very Dutch student studying Dutch literature.
Eduard Douwes Dekker is telling in this novel his life as an assistent-resident (Dutch official in former Dutch Indië).
I have read this book several times as a student. Dekker's work was one of my specialism. His way of writing was new in the 19th century and the book was received with negative and positive critism.
He accused the Dutch Goverment of abuse in their colony, which was used only to get as many pro
Czarny Pies
Oct 17, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody. This is a great introduction to the economic problems of the third world.
Colonialism has had a bad press since the sixteenth century. The problem in such unanimity of opinion, few ever bother to explain exactly how colonials was it was bad. It this remarkable work which is not a true a novel is the expose of a failing colonial system. Using the pen name of Mutlatuli, Eduard Douwes Dekker, a former dutch colonial administrator explained in great deal how the Dutch colonial administration worked and why it was failing.

Dekker identified three very fundamental problems:

Kristel
The story of Max Havelaar is a social commentary on colonialism as well as a political statement of the abuse of government and the ineffectiveness of Christianity without charity. The story is set in 1853 or there abouts in Indonesia (Java) at that time and is the story of why change is almost impossible in systems that are as large as governments and even a good person is basically unable to make any good change.

This is a 4 star read for me. I hated the poor condition of my kindle edition and
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Woooowwww DAHSYAT!!!

Kejutan di paragraf terakhir sekaligus penutup. Kalimat dari sang empunya sendiri; Maltatuli..
“Buku ini isinya aneka ragam, tidak beraturan, pengarangnya mengejar sensasi, gayanya buruk! Tidak tampak keahliannya...tidak ada bakat..tidak ada metode..

Cukuplah Stern yang baik, Aku Maltatuli..yang mengangkat pena. Aku menghidupkan anda.aku datangkan anda dari Hamburg. Aku ajarkan anda bahasa Belanda yang baik, dalam waktu yang singkat sekali..Aku suruh anda mencium Louise Rosemei
Liliyah
tidak semua org Belanda yang hidup tiga ratus tahun lalu di negeri ini adalah penjajah. Perjuangan Multatuli adalah anomali. Sebagai seorang asisten residen dia justru memperjuangkan kaum pribumi-buruh tani di Lebak Banten.

tetapi hingga kini, masih saja buruh-tani terjajah. Kali ini oleh bangsanya sendiri. Lebih miris.

NB : Bos gw mpe bikin naskah drama-teaternya...hiks, sedih bacanya.
Wong1st
Read in English version
This so called classic book is still very relevant for today modern time. Today, instead of countries level, there are companies/corporates levels, modern imperialism: “Manufactures, Factories, Mines, and so on “trading” companies”
And how amusing to read Droogstoppel hypocrite snorts, and how annoying to realize this typical character really exist in your daily life.
This is an Indonesian “Uncle Tom's Cabin”,
to Multatuli, from bottom of my heart I salute you

_______________
Mindy McAdams
Sep 22, 2013 Mindy McAdams rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: interested in colonial Dutch East Indies
This was the last novel about Indonesia that I read before going there to live for 10 months. It’s not always easy for a 21st century reader to enjoy a 19th century novel, and this one is certainly not going to captivate everyone who undertakes it. I stuck with it even though at times it was annoying. At the end, I was glad to have read it.

I wanted to read it because I have seen many references to this book in my reading about the colonial past of Indonesia. The subtitle, "Or the Coffee Auctions
Red
Een vader zou voor 'n oogenblik het huis verlaten. Om de
scherpzinnigheid zyner kinderen op de proef te stellen, gaf hy
hun te raden wat hy zou gedaan hebben gedurende z'n afwezigheid.

Een der kinderen, die een blauw buisje droeg, zeide:

- Ik weet het al. Vader is naar den kleermaker, om zich 'n
blauw buisje te laten aanmeten.

Het tweede kind, dat gaarne zoetigheid at, werd boos op
BLAUWBUIS, die zoo dom kon zyn te gelooven dat de vader een
blauw huisje droeg, als hy.

- Ik weet beter, reide het. Vade
Naeem
Sep 21, 2008 Naeem rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in colonial adminstration
This book was a landmark event when it was published in the mid 19th century. It really shook up the Dutch self-understanding of their colonial efforts in what we now call Indonesia.

The setting is colonial Indonesia in the early 19th century. The book is largely autobiographical and multi-perspectival; while it follows one honest bureaucrat's efforts to do justice for the "natives," the narrative is often interrupted by other characters' points of view.

The beauty of the book is that it shows ho
dedeh
cerita di balik buku ini.. buku ini ketemu di tumpukan buku bekas yg udah mau dibuang sama yg punya. sudah kena hujan n angin sepertinya. pas lewat suatu pojokan, ia berada paling atas di tumpukan itu. melihat sekilas, dan.. tertangkap judulnya: max havelaar.. meskipun ga tahu siapa yg punya akhirnya saya 'ambil' buku ini. sudah lusuh banget, kertasnya kuning, sedikit berjamur dan banyak bekas air yg mengering, tapi masih utuh. kertasnya bagus

ini buku terbitan tahun 81, alias cetakan kelima, dar
A.V.
This book was awful to read. Absolutely awful. As a lover of books, the writing was so horrendous, it was almost offensive to me. I had to make myself read 30 pages a day, just to get through it. But I had to know. Why was this book deemed “Literature”? Why was it so important in Dutch culture and history? So I read on and at the very end, it all made sense. I understood.

I’ll probably never read this book again, but it was worth it in the end.
Luqman Kuchiki
Awal-awal membaca buku ini, saya merasa sangat tidak "sreg" dengan pola dan gaya penulisannya. Mungkin karena buku ini tergolong "klasik" dan saya bukanlah orang yang banyak membaca buku-buku klasik.

perasaan tidak sreg masih juga berlanjut hingga mendekati halaman-halaman pertengahan buku ini, tapi saya masih berusaha untuk mengikuti rangkaian kisah yang disampaikan oleh tuan makelar kopi dan cerita havelarnya.

tak dapat dipungkiri, walaupun tidak terbiasa dengan gaya penulisan seperti itu, buku
Marysa
Buku yang menyentuh. Sulit untuk tidak bersimpati pada luapan rasa frustasi sang penulis.
Pilihan untuk menyajikan dua tokoh yang bisa dikatakan bertolak belakang (alter ego) dalam memandang dan menyikapi kolonialisme di Hindia Belanda, bagi saya, adalah ide yang cemerlang. membuat keseluruhan buku ini sebuah karya yang very insightful and unavoidable.

Menariknya, notion yang dimunculkan dalam buku ini bukan sesuatu yang kuno atau hanya terikat dalam konteks sejarah. Dalam kehidupan sekarang pun
BoekenTrol
Read this book for my list of Dutch literature, like so many others. Aaages ago, but I liked it enough to buy a special edition. I'll re-read it and than write a real review.
Cicip
i know my country's history better. the way Dekker sending the story is a bit confusing at first, we also have to think the same time when we are reading. interesting.
Vivian
Ik weet eerlijk gezegd niet zo goed hoe ik dit moet beoordelen.. Ik ben vooral heel blij dat ik het uit heb want het werd gewoon echt slaapverwekkend saai. Ik vraag me ook af of ik wel echt alles heb begrepen, maar op zich vind ik het zeker geen slecht boek. Het verhaal is sterk, de personages spreken je aan en vooral het eerste deel vond ik erg vermakelijk en best wel goed door te komen. Jammer dat het daarna steeds taaier en complexer werd, maar de manier waarop het een grote maatschappelijke ...more
Katrijn
"Max Havelaar" was taai omwille van de taal (1860!), maar ik ben blij dat ik het na 15 jaar eindelijk uitkreeg. Net diezelfde taal, en ermee samenhangend de stijl, is tegelijkertijd ook de sterkte, vreemd genoeg.
Tijdens het lezen hoorde ik over een hertaalde versie uit 2010. Eerst dacht ik nog: "verdorie, waarom ben ik die niet beginnen lezen". Ondertussen las ik twee negatieve recensies met verschillende concrete voorbeelden van hoé het hertaald is, en dan ben ik toch blij dat ik me door het or
Yogi Agnia Dwi Saputro
Pas membaca buku ini di bagian awal, rasanya saya mau muntah. Sungguh! Susunan kalimatnya panjang dan membingungkan. Jalinan cerita antar bab tidak ada. Bahasannya remeh dan bertele-tele. Serta karakter tokoh Drogstoppel si makelar kopi "terhormat" itu bikin saya kesal setengah mati.

Di bagian tengah masuk tokoh Max Havelaar, Asisten Residen Lebak (ini juga saya tak mengerti masuknya dari mana tiba-tiba ceritanya langsung pindah). Pada bagian ini gambaran kehidupan pribumi mulai terlihat. Makin
Firda
Novel ini (bagi saya) sangat menjelaskan detil-detil hal-hal yang terjadi semasa Indonesia dijajah oleh pemerintahan Belanda, terutama detil pelaksanaan pemerintahan kolonial waktu itu. Segalanya lebih jelas dibandingkan dengan materi sejarah Indonesia yang diajarkan di bangku sekolah* (seperti ini, pemerintah Belanda mengadakan tanam paksa, pemerintah Belanda memungut pajak berlebihan, pemerintah Belanda mengadakan kerja paksa, dan seterusnya seperti itu yang hanya dijelaskan per poin saja, tan ...more
Philip Lane
I read a Kindle version which was really badly translated and had lots of printing/spelling errors as well so this certainly detracted from my enjoyment of reading this book. At some points it felt like it was being narrated by a foreign speaking Woody Allen and had me smiling quite a lot. The crux of the book is quite an intense and direct attack on Dutch imperialism in the Far East but it is wrapped up quite well either to really hide the identity of the author or to make a point about the dif ...more
Maria
Het is lang geleden dat een boek me zoveel moeite en inspanning heeft gekost. Als ik lees, wil ik eigenlijk wel alles snappen en bij de Max Havelaar lukte me dit tot mijn frustratie niet altijd. Toch heb ik er wel van genoten en niet alleen van het al veelvuldig gememoreerde hilarische taalgebruik van Droogstoppel. Vond het boeiend om te lezen over deze periode van de Nederlandse geschiedenis, al maakte het me zeker ook beschaamd. Wat is de Javanen aangedaan uit naam van het Nederlandse volk? Sc ...more
Susan Devy
I gave this book four stars because this is the book that had a great impact to my country,
it was written by a dutch "Multatuli" aka. Eduart Douwes Dekker.

why this book is very important ? because this is the one that describe the situation of Dutch colonization in Indonesia during 19th century through the eyes of a dutch, Multatuli, who worked as assistant governor.

without this book, there will be no Buru tetra-logy by Pramoedya, and Ernest Douwes Dekker - nephew of Eduart Dourwes Dekker, wou
Xavier
Ik verbeeld me dat uwe vrouw vraagt: "is er nogal wat aan dat boek?" En ge zegt by-voorbeeld-- horribile auditu voor my--met de woordenrykheid die eigen is aan gehuwde mannen: ‘Hm ... zó ... ik weet nog niet.’
Welnu, barbaar, lees verder! Het belangryke staat juist voor de deur. En met een bevende lip staar ik u aan, en meet de dikte van de omgeslagen bladen, en ik zoek op uw gelaat naar den weerschyn van 't hoofdstuk ‘dat zo mooi is’ ...
Neen, zeg ik, hy is er nog niet. Straks zal hy op springen
Marjolein
READ IN DUTCH

Ik heb me aan het eind van de zomervakantie dan toch door het 'beste' boek uit de Nederlandse literatuurgeschiedenis heen gewerkt. Max Havelaar of de Koffiveilingen der Nederlansche Handelmaatschappy wilde ik graag gelezen hebben voor mijn mondeling vorige week. We hadden dit boek al uitvoerig besproken voor ik het ging lezen, en dit maakte het wel makkelijker om sommige dingen te begrijpen.

Het overbekende verhaal gaat over een handelaar in koffie, die van een vroegere vriend, die h
roland s
Max Havelaar adalah seorang anggota Dewan Pengawas Keuangan pemerintahan Belanda sekitar tahun 1840-an. Sebagian besar buku ini bercerita mengenai pengalamannya bekerja di daerah Lebak, Banten sebagai salah satu residen penghasil beras di wilayah jajahan Belanda pasa masa itu.
Havelaar datang dari Belanda dengan karakter yang menjunjung tinggi moralitas, kebaikan , kesederhanaan dan ketulusan. Dan hal ini membuat jiwanya bergejolak melihat perlakukan-perlakuan tidak adil dan tidak manusiawi yang
Lutfi Retno
Buku merupakan karya Multatuli alias Eduard Douwes Dekker, seorang mantan pejabat Hindia Belanda yang iba pada penindasan yang dialami oleh penduduk Jawa. Ia menulis novel ini pada tahun 1859 dengan harapan para mantan Gubernur Jendral, pejabat, pendeta, anggota Dewan Perwakilan Rakyat, dan masyarakat Eropa mengetahui apa yang terjadi di kerajaan besar milik Belanda di Luar Negeri. Buku ini dipercaya sebagai salah satu penyulut banyaknya kecaman terhadap pemerintah Belanda. Tanam Paksa yang memp ...more
Multatuli (Eduard Douwes Dekker) 1 42 Dec 17, 2008 01:13AM
  • Het verdriet van België
  • Eric in the Land of the Insects
  • De avonden
  • Een Nagelaten Bekentenis
  • House of Glass (Tetralogi Buru, #4)
  • Publieke Werken
  • De Uitvreter, Titaantjes, Dichtertje, Mene Tekel
Eduard Douwes Dekker, better known by his pen name Multatuli (from Latin multa tuli, "I have suffered much"), was a Dutch writer famous for his satirical novel, Max Havelaar (1860) in which he denounced the abuses of colonialism in the colony of the Dutch East Indies (today's Indonesia).
More about Multatuli...
Woutertje Pieterse Saïdjah en Adinda Buah Renungan Brieven van Multatuli Minnebrieven

“Dari hidup di kalangan yang memiliki pengaruh kemudian hidup di kalangan bawah masyarakat membuatnya mengetahui bahwa banyak kalangan masyarakat yang tidak memiliki pengaruh dan perlindungan apa-apa.” 7 likes
“what is fiction in particular is truth in general.” 6 likes