Start by marking “Dunn's Conundrum” as Want to Read:
Dunn's Conundrum

Dunn's Conundrum

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Humorous thriller. Like Robert Ludlum on laughing gas.
Published January 1st 1985 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dunn's Conundrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dunn's Conundrum

Ukgardenfiend
Dunn’s Conundrum by Stan Lee
A conundrum is a puzzle, a mystery, a problem to be solved and I am real puzzle fiend - this is why I love mystery novels and spy and crime fiction. I like to work who did it. But here the character Dunn is trying work out just who is the Doctor? The spy in their midst? And there is a lovely twist on this we find at the end.
Now I really loved this book, my first 5 star of the year - and I don’t give them out lightly. It is right in my field of expertise and research
Jay Williams
This book is a fantastic and faithful display of the fear and insanity within Government during the height of the cold war. The story itself is imaginative, full of suspense, and highly entertaining. Having lived through the Cold War period, I find the most horrifying part of the story is that it could all very well be true. As an official of one of the agencies involved during the 80s, I can assure the reader that the actions taken, decisions made and callous regard for human life is an accurat ...more
Ian Wood

Jeremy Good
This author is not the same as the more well known comic book author.

He wrote two novels (the other called The God Project - I haven't read it) and he was copywriter for the infamous "Daisy" commercial of LBJ's landslide '68 campaign.

I remember being impressed by the futuristic imagination and grand sweep of this little novel with political implications.

Shall re-visit.
Lon Brantley
It took me three reads over thirty years to get the real point of this droll thriller. It is actually an important book, and I am trying to write a screenplay. If anyone knows if this has already been done, please advise.
This book has an important message for our times. Lee was incredibly prescient in what the unbridled NSA and rubberstamp FISA court would lead to. It displays the underside of human nature in a way rarely done properly. And when you figure out who "The Doctor" is, you begin to s
Bradley
Entertaining spy-type story. Why do contempary fiction books have more sex than romances? Weird..
Jeffrey
Dunn’s Conundrum by Stan Lee (Not that one), is a Cold War era spy story that kind of forecasts the NSA of the modern day. As others have stated, the writing style was kind of different and it took me longer to read this then a book generally takes me to read. I am still clueless on some of the goings on in the book but I will not read it again to try and tie up loose ends, on my part at least. I do have this authors other book and will review it as well. I received this book from the publisher, ...more
Ann
This is a political thriller that is scary that it is so realistic. It is written with a humorous slightly skewed perspective. It is based on the cold war type spy novel with the modern day NSA big brother combined. A good read with plenty of quirky characters. I liked it and will probably reread it to catch a few more of the nusances.
Debby Brown
Someone recommended this book to me or likely would never have found it. Published in 1985, it deals with the arms race during the Cold War. There is a super-secret agency in the United States government that has unlimited access to information. This was the perfect stage for a great story with action and intrigue.

The story was great, but I was not tickled with the style of writing or the pacing. I usually read a book in 1-2 days. This book took me over a week. Every time I sat down to read it,
Martha
reading this was like walking a twisted road. truly a mystery to me. i will read it again. and probably again. and finally i may figure it out.
Boaz Eapen
Had some difficulty in keeping up with the characters at first but was fine after. Not an easy read. Sometimes it felt like there should be a link between two para's or chapters, which led to not getting cleared the doubts.
Mii
This book is a great read!
Sally
My 2 year old nephew picked this book out for me at the used book shop. It was an entertaining spy type cold war thriller, but not super great.
Paul Kenyon
Thought provoking from distance of 25 years and in light of current NSA debacles. Recommended by Seth Godin and worth a quick read.
Jim
A lightweight Ludlum-ish tale with a bit more humor. I finished it in one sitting.
Thom Dunn
" Humorous thriller. Like Robert Ludlum on laughing gas."--GR description 2/2010.
KH
KH added it
Apr 10, 2015
Arlene Downey
Arlene Downey marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Donald
Donald is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Ann Eickerman
Ann Eickerman marked it as to-read
Clay Yeaman
Clay Yeaman marked it as to-read
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Shaley Hart
Shaley Hart marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Stanley R. Lee was an advertising executive who wrote under the name "Stan Lee".
More about Stan Lee...