Start by marking “Dunn's Conundrum” as Want to Read:
Dunn's Conundrum

Dunn's Conundrum

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Humorous thriller. Like Robert Ludlum on laughing gas.
Published January 1st 1985 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dunn's Conundrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dunn's Conundrum

Lon Brantley
Oct 20, 2014 Lon Brantley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me three reads over thirty years to get the real point of this droll thriller. It is actually an important book, and I am trying to write a screenplay. If anyone knows if this has already been done, please advise.
This book has an important message for our times. Lee was incredibly prescient in what the unbridled NSA and rubberstamp FISA court would lead to. It displays the underside of human nature in a way rarely done properly. And when you figure out who "The Doctor" is, you begin to s
Mark Easter
Jul 19, 2015 Mark Easter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“Robert Ludlum with a sense of humor,” Detroit News

One of the Most Acclaimed Espionage Novels Ever Written… And Also One of the Funniest.

It’s the mid-1980s and the cold war hasn’t thawed. The Library, a super-secret U.S. espionage agency is keeping an eye on the Russians and everybody else. A dozen elite intelligence experts relentlessly sift out classified information from everywhere. They know all the secrets except for one – which of the librarians is a traitor.

It’s up to Walt Coolidge

Philip Bailey
Apr 23, 2015 Philip Bailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times the entire book seemed to be a conundrum. A somewhat jumbled riddle to start and at the point of giving it up (I rarely do) it became interesting. From interesting it went to hilarious, although also moments of just plain ridiculous at the inhuman like feats of valor. At some point there is finally a more complete understanding and at last the rise to the conclusion. Although overly complicated at times when finished a look back shows some prescience on the author’s part. Even in today’ ...more
Ukgardenfiend
Dunn’s Conundrum by Stan Lee
A conundrum is a puzzle, a mystery, a problem to be solved and I am real puzzle fiend - this is why I love mystery novels and spy and crime fiction. I like to work who did it. But here the character Dunn is trying work out just who is the Doctor? The spy in their midst? And there is a lovely twist on this we find at the end.
Now I really loved this book, my first 5 star of the year - and I don’t give them out lightly. It is right in my field of expertise and research
Jay Williams
Jan 12, 2015 Jay Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fantastic and faithful display of the fear and insanity within Government during the height of the cold war. The story itself is imaginative, full of suspense, and highly entertaining. Having lived through the Cold War period, I find the most horrifying part of the story is that it could all very well be true. As an official of one of the agencies involved during the 80s, I can assure the reader that the actions taken, decisions made and callous regard for human life is an accurat ...more
Ian Wood
Jan 05, 2015 Ian Wood rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Jeremy Good
This author is not the same as the more well known comic book author.

He wrote two novels (the other called The God Project - I haven't read it) and he was copywriter for the infamous "Daisy" commercial of LBJ's landslide '68 campaign.

I remember being impressed by the futuristic imagination and grand sweep of this little novel with political implications.

Shall re-visit.
Christine
Dec 18, 2015 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book recommended by a patron, another enjoyable readable first chapter. This book is by THE Stan Lee o f comic book fame (and I am a HUGE fangirl). It's sly, witty and uses words like circumlocutory. I am always happy when books include words I've never used let alone heard of. One point for me in the next trivia game. (oh c'mon -- go look it up, I'm not going to define it for you).

In describing an colleague of Dunn's Lee writes "You were for or you were against. Sober, Beebee looked lik
Bradley
Entertaining spy-type story. Why do contempary fiction books have more sex than romances? Weird..
Jay
Dec 31, 2014 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dunn’s Conundrum by Stan Lee (Not that one), is a Cold War era spy story that kind of forecasts the NSA of the modern day. As others have stated, the writing style was kind of different and it took me longer to read this then a book generally takes me to read. I am still clueless on some of the goings on in the book but I will not read it again to try and tie up loose ends, on my part at least. I do have this authors other book and will review it as well. I received this book from the publisher, ...more
Ann
Feb 07, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a political thriller that is scary that it is so realistic. It is written with a humorous slightly skewed perspective. It is based on the cold war type spy novel with the modern day NSA big brother combined. A good read with plenty of quirky characters. I liked it and will probably reread it to catch a few more of the nusances.
Debby Brown
Someone recommended this book to me or likely would never have found it. Published in 1985, it deals with the arms race during the Cold War. There is a super-secret agency in the United States government that has unlimited access to information. This was the perfect stage for a great story with action and intrigue.

The story was great, but I was not tickled with the style of writing or the pacing. I usually read a book in 1-2 days. This book took me over a week. Every time I sat down to read it,
Martha
Aug 11, 2014 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
reading this was like walking a twisted road. truly a mystery to me. i will read it again. and probably again. and finally i may figure it out.
Boaz Eapen
Aug 13, 2014 Boaz Eapen rated it it was ok
Had some difficulty in keeping up with the characters at first but was fine after. Not an easy read. Sometimes it felt like there should be a link between two para's or chapters, which led to not getting cleared the doubts.
Mii
Mar 25, 2015 Mii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great read!
Sally
Nov 19, 2012 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 2 year old nephew picked this book out for me at the used book shop. It was an entertaining spy type cold war thriller, but not super great.
Paul Kenyon
Aug 20, 2013 Paul Kenyon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking from distance of 25 years and in light of current NSA debacles. Recommended by Seth Godin and worth a quick read.
Jim
Jul 26, 2008 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lightweight Ludlum-ish tale with a bit more humor. I finished it in one sitting.
Thom Dunn
" Humorous thriller. Like Robert Ludlum on laughing gas."--GR description 2/2010.
Mario
Mario rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Anmol Chopra
Anmol Chopra rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Tweed
Tweed marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Steve Doyle
Steve Doyle rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Deepak
Deepak marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Casey
Casey added it
Feb 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Stanley R. Lee was an advertising executive who wrote under the name "Stan Lee".
More about Stan Lee...