Start by marking “The Last Communist Virgin” as Want to Read:
The Last Communist Virgin

The Last Communist Virgin

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  11 reviews
“Wang Ping’s The Last Communist Virgin is a beauty of a collection. She has interwoven the earthiness of China and the harshness of immigrant life . . . to create a series of short stories that are at once pitiful, heartbreaking, funny, and deeply inspiring.”—Lisa See, author of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

From the restaurants of New York’s Chinatown to the retail empori
Published April 1st 2007 by Coffee House Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Communist Virgin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Communist Virgin

Shannongibney
Jul 03, 2007 Shannongibney rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in contemporary Chinese and Chinese American literature
Shelves: fiction
I was familiar with some of Wang Ping's poetry, but I had never read her fiction, so this was quite an interesting read. Here in Minnesota is she a prolific and inspiring presence -- criss-crossing genres all the time, telling all kinds of stories that would otherwise not be told.

Although I didn't feel every story was necessarily successful, I enjoyed the collection overall. The last story, "Maverick," was my favorite by far -- anyone interested in the spiritual cost of destroying the Earth shou
Beth
Many of her stories are fairly dark, intense explorations of the hardships people endure in the slums of China and as new immigrants to America. The glimpses the reader gets of life in China during the Cultural Revolution are fascinating, full of small details like what apartments smell like. The title story is associated with most of the others through the lives of various characters, initially immigrants from China to New York City, some of whom ultimately return to Shanghai to try to rediscov ...more
Siobhan
This was a lovely and interesting collection of stories about people living in China and New York after the Cultural Revolution. I thought the author did a swell job of creating complex characters and weaving them throughout the various stories. Their fears and desires were vastly diverse and gave an uninitiated rube like me a great glimpse into the joys and difficulties of China's transition away from Maoism. I would suggest it to anyone who likes realistic fiction and deep, thought-provoking c ...more
Celeste
Too many characters and the transition between characters was not well done. I ended up not really caring about what happened to each character. Also the only thing they all had in common was that they either currently lived in China or came to the U.S. from China. I would rather have had a story about one family rather than all these that were not related to eachother.
Sasha
I had mixed feelings about this collection of stories based around the experiences of characters in China and in the U.S. I thought most of the stories were beautifully written and intricate, but others fell into romantic cliche or literary device, which made them less effective.
Holly
Collection of short stories (many are related so it reads more like a novel) about growing up in Communist China and dealing with the US as a Chinese immigrant. I really liked the characters and the interrelatedness of many of the stories.
Bryan Worra
Some interesting things at play here. Wang Ping takes some more imaginative turns with some forays into magical realism. If you like Wang Ping's work, you should check this one out.
Sue Mellgren
Nice collection of stories of Chinese life and also of the lives of Chinese immigrants in America. Not all the stories were great reads but all were interesting.
Kate
This book was complicated. But I liked it. The stories all connect- some are really obvious, some aren't. The last one was easily my favorite.
Christie
China is still fighting a sort of cultural revolution and Chinese immigrants have many problems in America.
Nicole
Sep 29, 2010 Nicole marked it as to-read
Austin Eckstrom recommended the 2nd story in particular.
Kay Michel
Kay Michel marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
C Scott
C Scott marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Anna Rose
Anna Rose marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Katie B-K
Katie B-K marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Xander
Xander marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Victor Giannini
Victor Giannini marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born in Shanghai and grew up in the East China Sea. Love the body of water, its sound and smell, love the touch of the muddy beach and golden sand.
More about Wang Ping...
Aching for Beauty: Footbinding in China The Magic Whip Of Flesh & Spirit American Visa Foreign Devil