Start by marking “The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook: 275 Hearty and Healthy Meat-Free Recipes for Steaks, Stews, Burgers, Roasts, Chilis, Casseroles, Pot Pies, Curries, Pizza, Pasta, and Other Stick-To-Your-Ribs Favorites” as Want to Read:

This book recasts classic all-American comfort food in a healthy, vegetarian role, from family-style foods to gourmet specialities to ethnic favorites.
Published February 5th 2002 by Harvard Common Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook

Katie
Pretty good so far, but I haven't really tried making the mock-meat "steaks" she talks about. I just have to find a place where I can get 12lbs of organic, whole wheat flour!

Ultimately, I want to go through all of the recipes in this book so I can upgrade to being one of those vegans with the "I worship seitan" t-shirts.
Nan
Jan 20, 2008 Nan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I picked up this cookbook from my local library. As a vegetarian living with a son of cattle farmers, I'm always looking for hearty vegetarian comfort food. This book does the trick. We've made a couple recipes so far and have eaten every last crumb. The latter half of the book uses a lot of meat substitutes (tempah, soy crumbles). Normally, I'm not a huge fan of these, but they are usually disguised and don't take center stage. I would recommend this as a good veggie cookbook in winter months w ...more
Allison
Jul 04, 2007 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Vegetarian cookbook. Picked this book up with my meat-eating husband in mind, and he went through and picked out some interesting recipes to try. The thing is, I didn't like meatloaf, so I'm not really looking to replace it with a vegetarian version, but if he's willing to try vegetarian meatloaf, I'm willing to try it to. And that's what this cookbook is all about.
Kelly
Oct 14, 2013 Kelly is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't yet gotten around to reviewing this cookbook - but you can see some of the dishes I've made from The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook here: http://www.easyvegan.info/tag/the-veg...
Loraine
Jan 11, 2013 Loraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good cookbook for those who erroneously believe that vegetarian meals aren't "hearty." Vegans, this cookbook is for you! Meat eaters, take a chance and discover yummy meat-free recipes!
Tara
Jun 05, 2013 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good recipes...a bit involved but great for family get togethers etc.
Suzzanne
Jan 18, 2008 Suzzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I just got this one as well. Mostly, so that I can try to feed my meat eater more to his liking. I'll let you know when I make something. I hope is is good! It looks pretty promising.
Alanna
Dec 10, 2012 Alanna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Vegetarian with meat-eating partner and children, hopefully can tick all the boxes with something from in here.
Tofu Fairy
uh no...most of these dishes are VERY involved and hard to make and none of them qualify as meat and potato dishes for vegetarians...some good recipes though...just not what the title indicates.
Brittany
Jun 26, 2009 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
awesome!!! this is my go-to for impressing guests, or when I'm feeling homesick for comfort food.
Michelle Ginther
This seems like a good cookbook for hearty vegetarian comfort food, but don't expect pictures like the front cover. It's all recipes and no pictures.
Tanja Atkins
Tanja Atkins rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2011
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Alicia Richardson
Alicia Richardson rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Gregory Mitchell
Gregory Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2011
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2008
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2010
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2013
Jenny D.
Jenny D. rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2007
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2013
Sidney Bolam
Sidney Bolam rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Atiyah
Atiyah rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Renee Stephenson
Renee Stephenson rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
YoSafBridg
YoSafBridg rated it liked it
May 24, 2008
Andrea Galliger
Andrea Galliger rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2016
Mem
Mem rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Elary
Elary rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2008
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • The Vegetarian Family Cookbook
  • The Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes Carnivores Will Devour
  • The Everyday Vegan: Recipes & Lessons for Living the Vegan Life
  • Japanese Cooking - Contemporary & Traditional: Simple, Delicious, and Vegan
  • This Can't Be Tofu!: 75 Recipes to Cook Something You Never Thought You Would--and Love Every Bite
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • Vegan Casseroles: Pasta Bakes, Gratins, Pot Pies, and More
  • Hot Damn and Hell Yeah! Recipes for Hungry Banditos and the Dirty South Vegan Cookbook
  • The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health: More Than 200 New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes for Delicious and Nutrient-Rich Dishes
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • The Vegetarian Planet: 350 Big-Flavor Recipes for Out-Of-This-World Food Every Day
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies (500 Cooking (Sellers))
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Passionate Vegetarian
An experienced chef and consultant, Robin Robertson worked for many years in restaurants and catering in northeastern Pennsylvania and Charleston, South Carolina before she began writing cookbooks. In 1988, she left the restaurant business and became vegan for ethical reasons. She then rededicated her life to writing and teaching gourmet vegan cooking.

Over the years, she has fine-tuned her plant-b
More about Robin G. Robertson...