Start by marking “Georgia O'Keeffe, 1887-1986: Flowers in the Desert” as Want to Read:
Georgia O'Keeffe, 1887-1986: Flowers in the Desert

Georgia O'Keeffe, 1887-1986: Flowers in the Desert

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The art of American painter Georgia O'Keeffe (1887-1986) is splendid with colour and laden with hidden sensuality. O'Keeffe's name rests mainly on the large-format flower pictures that have assured her an unusual place in the annals of art, between realist and abstract.
Published February 1st 2001 by Taschen (first published September 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Georgia O'Keeffe, 1887-1986, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Georgia O'Keeffe, 1887-1986

Sara
Short book but filled with O'Keefe's paintings from throughout her life.
Bandit
O'Keefe is one of my SO's favorite artists not to mention one of the most famous and important female artists in general. Her nature representations never really spoke to me, but within this book I was not only able to learn more about them (for example the famous anthropomorphic undertones which O'Keefe never intended and were quite possibly seen as a reflection of the rise of Freud's popularity), but also discover that there was much more to the artist. Her oeuvre is quite varied and changed g ...more
J K
A fascinating look at O'Keefe's work, I knew very little about her but found this an involving summary of her life and passions. Picked this up in the library and read it in 45 minutes, but I think I took in every page!

I've long been aware of the artist's work, but I was inspired to pick up this book on her after watching Breaking Bad, which references her more than once and featured one of the 'Patio door' paintings. So some of reading this was down to unlocking a few more layers of the TV show
eLPy
Many years ago I heard of Georgia O'Keeffe, but I never delved into her work or her life myself. Having found this book in the 1,800+ left over from my grandmother's things - which I'm looking for homes for - I was drawn to the image on the cover and had to read.

It was very interesting to learn about such a talented woman on my own time. The book is a quick and easy read while still being informative. In addition the author includes a lot of Georgia O'Keeffe's work, from her earliest pieces to
Rychelle Boden
This is a fantastic book for my art students to use as a visual guide when we work on O'Keeffe paintings in art class and to also use as a reference point when they need any additional resources. I especially feel that the replicated color images of O'Keeffe's paintings are some of the best I have found ever since I began teaching art and they work well in my classroom. I have been very pleased with this book for the past 4 years and I hope it will survive many more busy painting artists before ...more
Kerfe
As always, Taschen produces a visually beautiful book. O'Keefe's work needs no enhancement--and, as the author notes, viewers have moved beyond the flowers to a recognition of the wide and striking range of her art. The brief summary of her life is concise yet representative.

As it is undoubtedly meant to do, the book invites further exploration of the artist and the art.
Cathy
I know Georgia O'Keeffe and her works much better now. This book has wonderful color reproductions of O'Keeffe's paintings. The accompanying text does a fairly good job of giving historical/biographical explanations of her developing styles. Some of the textual style and editing made reading somewhat of a chore.
Manuel
Retrospectiva ad-hoc sobre O'Keeffe que aporta a interpretación da súa obra destapándoa (para min) como unha persoa marcadamente sentimental.

O meu interés radicaba principalmente por ser influenciada por Kandinsky.
James
Jan 29, 2008 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Interesting both as a study of the artist and of the cultural milieu in which she lived and painted - I especially liked this as my wife and I have spent time in Taos and Abiquiu.
Pooch
Beautifully absorbing about this great artist. The paintings shown are exquisite.
Susi
O'Keeffe is my favorite artist, so for me there are no bad O'Keeffe books.
Aida
beautiful book!
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Lyn
Lyn marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Vânia
Vânia marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Sebastian Contreras
Sebastian Contreras marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
K13
K13 marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Caroline Gee
Caroline Gee marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
LijuanHe
LijuanHe marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
  • Bosch
  • Symbolism
  • Pre-Raphaelites in Love
  • Rene Magritte, 1898-1967: Thought Rendered Visible
Britta Benke, born in 1960, studied art history, classical archaeology and romance languages and literature in Göttingen, Münster and Bonn. Georgia O'Keeffe is the main focus of her research and also the subject of her dissertation.
More about Britta Benke...