Tallulah Falls

Tallulah Falls

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  32 reviews
When Tallulah Addy sets out on an impulsive cross-country trip to rescue her best friend, she doesn't anticipate getting stranded in rural Tennessee without a dime. Nor does she guess that rescuing a dog will land her a job in the local veterinarian's office. But there, under the wary eye of ornery Dr. Poteet, Tallulah works harder than ever before, tending to animals of a...more
Published May 29th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published May 2nd 2006)

Jessica
I'm not one of those people who normally likes a "simple coming-of-age story." Phrases like that always make me think of Little House on the Prairie, or The Outsiders. Not that those aren't fine books, I'm just saying that it's not something that makes me think, YIPPEE! I'll read that TODAY! So keep that in mind when I say that this coming-of-age story was AMAZING.

Tallulah (formerly known as Debbie) is on her way from Portland to Florida to help her friend Maeve when Tallulah's life implode. She...more
Kristia
Aug 08, 2011 Kristia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: For realistic readers
I like this book. ^_^

It's one of the first books that got me really into reading. It interested me by the doggie on the cover. And I'm a sucker for dogs!

The story moves really well paced and the character is very realistic. Tallulah is one of those rebellious teens that thinks she knows it all. And she thinks she can do whatever she well pleases. Or well, whatever Maeve does.
So she travels across country to follow her not-so-good friend Maeve to Flordia. Then come to find herself stranded in ohi...more
dameolga
I rarely read non-fantasy YA books, but I read Tallulah Falls for my high school book club. I was surprisingly hooked. I could not stop reading the book once I started to read it. Overall, the writing and pacing is fluid and engaging; however, the plot is something I could not really relate with. The protagonist is too unlike myself that I sometimes could not logically understand the relationships she had with the other characters. Of course, I have a bias towards most things non-fantasy.
Lori (Pure Imagination)
Tallulah Falls is a book I had never heard of until my good friend Candace read it and highly recommended it to me. She even bought it for me because she wanted me to read it so much. Candace knows me well because I loved this book and I’m thrilled she put it on my radar.

Tallulah Falls really has lots of elements I love. Tallulah ends up working in a veterinarian’s office after being stranded in East Tennessee. I live in East Tennessee and not many books take place here, so of course I loved tha...more
Dora
"Tallulah Falls" by Christine Fletcher is a story about a girl named Tallulah. After meeting Maeve, her life has changed, including her name, which was originally Debra. When Maeve suddenly disappears with only an email left for Tallulah, asking for help, Tallulah decides to go and rescue her friend. After all, there's nothing holding her back, especially her family, who doesn't seem to understand her. Tallulah sets off, but gets stranded in Tennessee without money, food, or a place to stay. Sh...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Amber Gibson for TeensReadToo.com

Perennial screw-up Tallulah might not be the well-behaved little daughter that her mom would like her to be, but nobody can say that she isn't a loyal friend. When she receives a cry for help from her bi-polar best friend Maeve, Tallulah immediately leaves behind her family in Portland and takes off across the country to save her. But on her way to Florida, Tallulah finds herself needing some saving. She's stuck in some small town in Tennessee all bec...more
Candace
Tallulah Falls snuck up on me. I honestly don't remember hearing about this book and it was random pick at the bookstore off of the bookshelf. When I finally sat down to read it I wasn't sure what I would think. I can tell you that I wasn't expecting this, a fantastic ride on a journey with a girl who needs to find her way. And fantastic it was!

Straight away I wasn't sure about Tallulah. She wasn't a character I liked much, as she wasn't very nice to others and kind of seemed like she mostly th...more
Bethany Andrews
"Tallulah Falls" is the story of Tallulah Addy and her spur of the moment trip cross country to help her friend Maeve, whom she knows is in terrible trouble. Tallulah first meets Maeve at a motorcycle convention and is immediately drawn to the charasmatic, free spirited girl. Maeve confides in Tallulah that she is bipolar, and that she has plans to change the world, which she dutifully records in her private notebooks.

One day Maeve just up and disappears and a few days later Tallulah receives an...more
Stephanie A.
I'd never heard the name "Tallulah" before I read this book, but I've never forgotten it, and consequently never forgotten this character. At first glance she's everything I dislike in a teenager, a hostile and rebellious runaway, but right near the beginning she saves a dying dog and it's impossible to dislike a person after that. I picked this up because of the description of her finagling a part-time job in a vet's office, and that does indeed dominate the story, interspersed with talk of the...more
Yan
I have to say I was fairly disappointed in this book. I felt that at least one-third to one-half of the book could have been taken out. While reading the procedures of treating various animals is quite interesting in the beginning, reading about it for 100 pages or so isn’t.

I thought that some of the relationship Tallulah had with the many characters could have been developed quite further. The characters themselves could also have been further developed themselves. They seemed very much monoton...more
Danielle
Tallulah Falls is the story of a girl who goes on an search for her friend but ultimately finds herself.

Tallulahs trip is a rocky road, that begins with Tallulah running from family issues with her jerk boyfriend (who abandons her with no money) to help her best friend Maeve, to an unexpected job she learns to love and odd mixture of people who become her family. Through self-discovery Tallulah discovers a passion for animals and that friends come in all kinds of packages. She eventually learn...more
Katie
This was a good book. Especially leading up to the climax, even thought the stereotype is that the climax and after is better.
The only thing I didn't like about it was the ending/after the climax. I thought that the author rushed it, even if she was trying to surprise the reader. I think I was surprised a little too much. The scene where she has you worried came at an akward time and it seemed to me like she only did that one strange part because she had to close the book, and she didn't want to...more
Jaime
I adored Fletcher's book Ten Cents A Dance and approached this one with happy anticipation. It, like Ten Cents, is well-written and complete, but it just didn't have the same emotional punch for me. While I felt a certain sympathy for the rag-tag collection of characters in Tallulah Falls, I didn't particularly enjoy spending time with any of them and never really warmed up to any but the receptionist and the assortment of animals.
Mrs. Schatz
This is the story of one girl's journey to find who she really is and what she's capable of even though she's been told all her life she can't do anything and is always in trouble. When most young girls, people in general, would give up, Tallulah finds the inner strength to ramrod her way through the situation and does a fantastic job. She begins to find herself and realizes just how much inner strength and character she really has.
Emily
This book is well written and parts of it are quite absorbing, and yet... I didn't really like it. Tallulah is not a relateable or likeable character and I couldn't make myself care about her over-the-top, self-inflicted drama.

I LOVED Ten Cents a Dance; comparatively, this was a big letdown.
Allison
Overall, it was a pretty good book. I liked the writing style. It was personal but not overly sentimental. It described things perfectly though the senses so that the reader could decipher the feelings themselves. The story line was confusing at times (maybe bc sometimes I skimmed) but in the end, it was inspiring. The characters are real and fun to read about. Definitely recommend this book for teens. (:
Lindsy
A teen runs away from home to help her best friend and gets stranded in the middle of rural Tennessee. She gets a job at an animal clinic and alienates everyone around her. For some reason, they still keep this moody teen around and help make her a better person. Tennessee sure sounds nice, but I'm not surprised since it gave us Justin Timberlake and Dollywood.
Karen
Dec 31, 2007 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: budding veterinarians and others
I picked this up when I volunteered at the 2006 Pacific NW Booksellers' Association convention. I was assigned to help the author do a book-signing. She was really great--friendly, enthusiastic. This is her first book.

I like the book; I just haven't gotten around to finishing it.
Afton Nelson
Really liked all the references to Portland in this story. This was a fun read that did not go where I expected it to go, which was great. Parts of the story were very typical "young adult" and others were not and caused a bit of deep thinking and reflection. Hmmm.
AnnaBnana
My expectations for this book were really, really high because of how much I LOVED Ten Cents a Dance. I didn't love Tallulah Falls, but I thought it was A-OK. It was a quick read. I did wish it had been written in first-person Tallulah voice instead of in third-person.
Kenzie
i was seriously into this book, and i was loving it. then, i hit the halfway mark and it started going all weird. it was downhill from there.. i didn't like the ending.
Leisl
This book kept me reading. Cute story. I can see why it's aimed somewhat at teens. Written by a part-time vet at the vet hospital I take my dog to!
Evon
actually i struggled rating this a 3 or 4 star - hard to choose. 3 1/2 stars really.... i like to authors style of writing. i will read more of her books.
Alexa
I prefer the author's second book, Ten Cents a Dance. This book was interesting but as realistic fiction, it doesn't cover a whole lot of new ground.
Amy Wunderlich
the story was great, i really enjoyed reading the parts about places i've actually visited. :)
Emma
Why has Christine Fletcher not written more books?
Allyson
Gave it a chance until the first f-bomb, 30 pages or so in.
Kim
YA Book. Not a great read but a good summer read.
Kelly
Just really didn't like it
  • Hope in Patience
  • Another Kind of Cowboy
  • And Then I Found Out the Truth
  • The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain (Gracie Faltrain, #1)
  • On Pointe
  • Band Geek Love
  • Kendra
  • The Year of Luminous Love
  • An Off Year
  • Better to Wish (Family Tree, #1)
  • Destroying Avalon
  • You Wish (The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, #1)
  • Putting Makeup on Dead People
  • Loser/Queen
I'm a veterinarian and author of two young adult novels: Ten Cents a Dance, which was named a 2009 Top Ten Book for Young Adults by the American Library Association, and Tallulah Falls, which was named a 2007 Book for the Teen Age by the New York Public Library. I currently write and practice veterinary medicine in Portland, Oregon.
More about Christine Fletcher...
Ten Cents a Dance Aboriginal Self-Determination in Australia Equity and Development Across Nations: Political and Fiscal Realities