Start by marking “Gerald McBoing Boing (Classic Seuss)” as Want to Read:
Gerald McBoing Boing (Classic Seuss)

Gerald McBoing Boing (Classic Seuss)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  826 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Nearly 50 years ago, Theodor Geisel -- known to the world even then as Dr. Seuss -- met up with a friend who worked for a new animation studio called United Productions of America. "UPA has a fresh outlook, " the friend said. Could Seuss write something new and different for them? Something that had a little more going for it than the usual cats chasing mice? "Just suppose ...more
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published February 15th 2000 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Gerald McBoing Boing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gerald McBoing Boing

Michelle McBeth
Gerald McCloy doesn't speak regular words. Instead he mimics sounds he hears. His exasperated father sends him to school to learn how to speak. But the teacher sends him home calling him hopeless. Gerald soon learns that the other children do not want to play with him because of his sounds. His parents are frustrated and angry with him. So Gerald runs away. But then he is found by the owner of a radio station who wants Gerald to come and use his sounds on the radio. Gerald becomes famous, his pa ...more
Feb 01, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dr. Seuss fans, 50s cartoon fans
Shelves: kidstuff
I own every Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon on DVD and I’m a big Dr. Seuss fan. I even have the standee for the Cat in the Hat’s 50th Anniversary of publication and have the Private Snafu videos, so I’m dedicated. When I saw the book version of the first Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon I couldn’t buy it fast enough.

Kids will love the story of the little boy who only spoke in sound effects, but grown-ups will love the jazzy artwork that was so in style for mid-century cartoons. I always look at the art
Mary Kate
"Boing Boing!!" Wait... What?
"Shriek... Clap Clap..."

Sorry had to get that out XP Cute book(:
Katie Plumley
~Great introduction to onomatopoeia. Gerald makes the sounds around him instead of talking.

~Introduction to a movie, video, video game, radio show, etc. unit....Gerald becomes a Foley artist. Students could learn about making movies and produce their own!

~Inspirational for those students who have communication disorders, or don't fit in, ESOL or students with disabilities. Everyone has a purpose and a place.

~Acceptance, community, lifting each other up, etc.
Shannon Brasher
I did not see the appeal in this book. Gerald only speaks in sound effects, no words. His parents call the doctor who cant help him, then send him off to school to get him fixed, and school sends him right back. He has no friends, everyone makes fun of him, his parents are not nice to him and he eventually runs away. It is after he runs away, a man discovers him and his talent and puts him to work in radio. Then after Gerald is rich and famous, he has a ton of friends and his parents are proud o ...more
Laura Gibbs

This book has a great theme—and I had actually never heard of it, even though it’s by a really famous author! This book is simply about a little boy who can’t talk, but instead makes noises like “boing boing!” or “clang clang clang!” His parents are very worried about him, have a doctor look at him but he doesn’t help him. So their next step is to send him to school; once he goes to school, people do nothing but tease him and make fun of him. His teacher doesn’t even accept him! He finally gets
This was an alright book, but I didn't overly enjoy. I'll admit I was laughing too much at the 'boing boing' parts. It seemed sexual and I couldn't help but laugh. Plus, I didn't think that it had a good theme to show children. It practically said that if you're not completely normal no one will love you unless you're super lucky then get famous then people will hang with you. Of course we all know why then, because they want some money.
3.25 Do I want to analyze this one. Well it was originally TV show and Seuss wrote the cartoon but didn't create the character.

Is it about people with disabilities (like can't speak) have worth or merit. Or is it just a funny story about a boy who because the sound effects for a radio decide.

You Tube Gerald McBoing Boing
Great artwork and clever, funny rhymes. I didn't care for the message until I read a short biography about Dr. Seuss. It just occurred to me that Dr. Seuss is Gerald McBoing Boing! He was rejected at home and at school for being different (always doodling and such) and then he gained fame by finally pursuing a career with what was always told to be his weakness. Interesting!
Timmy Tim
No doubt fun to read; however, the story's resolution is not Gerald learning to be unique and valuable even when he is despised. Rather, the story ends with people "needing" what he can provide, and him consequently becoming rich and famous. Fun story, but poor justification of a harmful typical social mechanism.
They say it all started
when Gerald was two—
That’s the age kids start talking—least, most of them do.
Well, when he started talking,
you know what he said?
He didn’t talk words—
he went boing boing instead!

Make the most of your talent even if it's just Boing Boing :D
This is a Dr. Seuss story that I had never heard of before. The story is very cute. It is written in the traditional Dr. Seuss rhyming style, which so enjoyed. Overall, this is a very good Seuss story, even though it is less well known.
Brittany Koontz

Topic and Theme: Being Different, Young Boy

Curricular Use: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, Shared Reading

Social: Teasing, Rejected

Literary Elements: Onomatopoeia

Text and Pictures: Funny and clear pictures with a great message

Summary: Gerald McCloy could not speak like a normal child. Every time he talked, the only words that came out of his mouth were Boing Boing. Gerald felt unwanted, s
An unofficial part of the Dr. Seuss cannon that, unlike his others, actually makes a pretty good read aloud for preschoolers around Dr. Seuss's birthday.
Paul Seville
Fun book to read, just a pity the philosophy which undergirds this story sees value only in the useful or productive.
Kevin Hull
Dumb and celebratory of the reject weirdo who's magically better than all the normal people who do things right.
This was such a great book about Gerald, who mimics sounds instead of talking.
Fun for a playful read-aloud with kids--get them to make the different sounds.
Naeem Nedaee
'The genius as outcast' or 'disability is the mother of self-discovery'!
Belonging, uniqueness, and acceptance.
I have never seen the motion picture of this or read the book until a week ago. But as we celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday and our school's literacy week last week, I decided to read some less familiar books of his to my class. We thought this one was quite entertaining. Gerald doesn't talk...he goes Boing Boing...and then Bam and Cuckoo and so on. Life is not very good for poor Gerald. The school won't take him, his parents don't know what to do with him and the doctor can't cure him. Will he eve ...more
Quaint story, snazzy illustrations.
Another Seuss book addressing a common theme for him: isolation through being different. But all's well that ends well, as Gerald finds his place (and fame) in the world. Loved the depiction of the 1950s through the characters' clothes. Old children's books are a time capsule. :)
OK, so maybe it's only 4 stars, but when your just-about-to-turn-2-year-old starts walking around saying "boing boing" after you read her the book, it's definitely 5 stars!
Somehow, probably because I'm so young!, I'd never heard of this Dr. Seuss book. Apparently there is an Oscar-winning movie of the same name. We'll need to get that from Netflix, post haste!
Megan Jones
This wasn't my favorite Dr. Seuss book. Although it had a good theme about discovering our own special talents, I felt the book was a little repetitive and as a child I don't think I would be super interest in it. It is definitely geared more to the younger kids like age 2-5. It is a good book for kids to use their imagination. But like I said, not my favorite.
Gerald doesn't speak in words, he speaks in noises. At first his parents fret, but when a radio man offers Gerald a job for his noises they celebrate their son's uniqueness.

Illustrations are in a warm color palette and show life in a simpler time. The old-timey quality of the artwork gave the book a fun feel, different from Seuss's other work.
This book teaches how we all have special talents. Gerald wasn't liked by many including his parents, teachers, and peers because he couldn't speak real words and made silly sounds. In the end, his talent made him famous and his parents felt proud. This book is a nice read aloud for elementary students.
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers
  • Plant a Kiss
  • When The Leaf Blew In
  • The Nose Book (Bright and Early Books BE-8)
  • Big Plans

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »