Start by marking “Hanukkah: A Counting Book in English, Hebrew, and Yiddish” as Want to Read:
Hanukkah: A Counting Book in English, Hebrew, and Yiddish

Hanukkah: A Counting Book in English, Hebrew, and Yiddish

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The symbols of Hanukkah, the Festival of Lights, are visually represented to stunning effect as young children learn to count from one to eight in three different languages -- English, Hebrew, and Yiddish. Clever die cuts of colorful candles against rich black backgrounds add up one by one with each turn of the page. The significance of the symbols of the holiday -- the me ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Hanukkah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hanukkah

Hannah
Thumbs up, Emily Sper, it's Hanukkah all year round at our house thanks to this big hit. There's so much going on here to keep babies and toddlers engaged: counting to eight in English, Hebrew and Yiddish, candle cutouts on each page to make it easy for chubby little fingers to get a good grip for flipping back and forth, and a concise summary of the Hanukkah story for caregivers unfamiliar with the festival of lights.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
A specialized holiday counting board book for youngsters. I appreciate the use of three languages in this book: English, Hebrew, and Yiddish. I also enjoyed the cutout candles multiplying with each page. At the end, Sper also included an informational page for those unfamiliar with Hanukkah and Jewish history.
Lucia Benzor
A rare find. Not only is it in many languages that most of use don't really see in kid's books, it's a different kind of counting book with no animals or such but instead features things that would be commonplace during the Hanukkah celebration. Nice book overall!And colorful to boot!
Alexis Levine
Jan 21, 2012 Alexis Levine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: exe-3601, math
This book is great for counting. I love how each day there's another candle cut out lit. Hanukkah would be great for 3-6 year olds to read around Hanukkah time, of course. The pictures are bright and simple!
molliekay
A great board book for all ages. The very young will enjoy counting, and the older children will enjoy learning about Hanukkah and hearing the Hebrew and Yiddish words.
Theresa
May 31, 2016 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Hanukkah: A Counting Book In English - Hebrew - Yiddish
Sper, Emi
a good cross cultural counting book
Alice
Dec 09, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Hanukkah, Yiddish, English and Hebrew...mix in some counting and you have a fun Hanukkah Book!!
Doree Burt
Really cool colorful cut-outs on each page and a great pronunciation and story guide.
Matthew
Dec 28, 2007 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really nice counting book. Makes the male and female numbers easy to learn.
Julia
Dec 18, 2011 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yiddish, English, and Hebrew-- great find!
Cynthia
Dec 04, 2010 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jack-s-books
I love that it is in Hebrew and Yiddish.
Liam Davidson
Liam Davidson rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Gember-Jacobson Family
Gember-Jacobson Family marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Sarah added it
Dec 30, 2015
Maya
Maya rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Dee Dee
Dee Dee rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Brendan Howard
Brendan Howard rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 30, 2015
Yvonne
Yvonne added it
Jul 23, 2015
WCNS
WCNS marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Nan M
Nan M rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
I grew up in Croton-on-Hudson, New York and have lived in Tel Aviv, New York City, Portland, Maine, and Providence. Right now I live in the Boston area.

I’ve worked in the field of children’s book publishing for many years, both as a book designer and designing marketing and point-of-purchase materials. My mother was an editor at Viking so I grew up surrounded by children’s books that are now class
More about Emily Sper...