Start by marking “Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes” as Want to Read:
Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes

Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
For the Art of the Slow Cooker, best-selling author Andrew Schloss has developed 80 recipes for soups, stews, succulent braises, vegetarian disheseven dessertsthat bring slow-cooked meals to new heights. Slow cooking gives a wonderful velvety texture to meatloaf, an incredible richness to Osso Buco Milanese, and bold and complex flavors to Curried Vegetables and Dal simmer ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Art of the Slow Cooker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art of the Slow Cooker

Cindy
Jan 12, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Cookbooks are always a bit hard for me to review, as I have a tendency to do my own thing with the actual recipes (I see recipes as a guideline and usually end up subbing ingredients for either what I have on hand or to a taste preference). Since I'm one of those people that actually reads all that stuff they put in the front of the book, as I like to read different philosophies and approaches to cooking, that's usually what I review. A lot of times the techniques covered in these intro sections ...more
Stacy
Dec 09, 2008 Stacy rated it it was amazing
The recipes are really creative and go beyond the standard stews and soups of every other slow cooker cookbook I've had. Espresso braised beef! Pork braised with white beans, rosemary and sage! The last one instructs you to put half of the herb paste in the beginning and add the other half at the end for a fresh bite. The difference in flavor is huge, but many other slow cooker books lack this kind of attention.

On a practical level, the author really understands how people use slow cookers (una
MyOlive
Oct 09, 2014 MyOlive rated it it was amazing
Wow do I like this book. I am a great cook. I love to cook and love to host. Every so often I get stuck, running out of ideas, don't feel like eating anything that I have in my fridge or freezer, let alone cook it. And let's not even talk about the time. So I've started to think about my slow cooker and how to start using it again. I've had my slow cooker for years, and every so often I would pull it out from depths of my cupboard and dust it off, prepare some dried out,tasteless piece of meat, ...more
Dolly
Jan 03, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading cookbooks
I love my crockpot - as a working mom, I love nothing more than to come home to a hot meal that is ready whenever we are ready to eat. I love knowing that the small amount of effort I put in during my morning routine saves me time, energy and frustration at the end of the day. So when I saw that my library had several ebooks that featured slow cooker recipes, I just had to borrow them.

This is a fancy cookbook that is filled with interesting recipes. I hate to admit it, but as much as I learned
Jan 31, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
This lifts slow cookery to a new level of deliciousness. Yum!
Kelly
Nov 03, 2014 Kelly rated it it was ok
First, the name should not e the art of the slow cooker as almost every single one of these recipes requires some level of skillet action. Secondly, I am a big fan of pictures in cookbooks and this one had a bare scattering. Thirdly, I'm of the opinion that a slow cooker recipe book should have more 'drop all this in and let it sit for xx hours' which this did not really have in any quantity.
Franny
Jan 16, 2016 Franny rated it liked it
Nicely illustrated, with handy "quick guides" in the margins of each recipe, "Art of the Slow Cooker" gives hints on using the slow cooker as well as recipes. Schloss also offers some interesting takes on dishes from other cultures, e.g. Marrekech Chicken Stew with Preserved Lemons and Olives, Osso Bucco Milaneese, Tunisian Lamb Tagine with Toasted Almonds and Couscous.
Jocelin
Oct 15, 2011 Jocelin rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This was a fascinating cookbook. Usually in cookbooks I pass over the introductions and get straight to the recipes. This time, I decided to read it and it was very interesting. One fact: water is the "anti-spice" when it comes to slow-cooking. It completely sucks out the flavor of the dish. Instead use broth or wine to enhance the flavor (I did not know that). There were other fascinating facts that the author incorporated into his journey of slow-cooking. One example was not to just dump every ...more
Cammalily
Mar 04, 2014 Cammalily rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Every recipe I've tried has been delicious and full-flavored! I borrowed this book initially from the library and loved it so much that I had to add it to my cook book collection. A definite keeper!
MM
Jan 28, 2011 MM rated it it was amazing
Got this for Mike for Christmas and so far everything we've made from it has been delicious. What I like about the recipes (caveat: I'm usually not the one doing the cooking) is that the ingredients are all stuff we'll have on hand, except for maybe a couple of the fresh ones. Everything's also super simple, but unlike other slow-cooking recipes, these often do require food prep and then additional steps after the long cooking. In fact Schloss' approach to slow cooking seems to include always ad ...more
Jaydubb
Aug 20, 2012 Jaydubb rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading the recipes in this book and they appear to be fairly manageable whether cook is experienced or a novice.

I especially enjoyed reading the notes preceding each chapter, with each one offering encouragement and explanation for the cooking process and recipes following.

My rating is based upon reading the book and subject to change once I've prepared a few dishes from the book.
Nickitopster
Feb 16, 2013 Nickitopster rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough good things about this book! Every single one of his recipe has never failed to delight, including some of his more adventurous ones. My only (slight) negative comment is that the prep time is about double what he estimates. Either that or I'm very slow! Probably the best slow cooker recipe book ever and I've read at least 8.
Dec 28, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I have read through all the recipes, and I've made four of them. Three with amazing results, and one that turned out poorly, though I blame the tapioca not doing its thing correctly. I look forward to making many more recipes from this book.
Ileana
Dec 30, 2008 Ileana rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Not a mention of cream-of-something-gross soup anywhere in this book. Thank goodness.
Carol Feldman
boring recipes manipulated to cook in the slow cooker
Melanie
Sep 30, 2011 Melanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: culinary
Did not like the recipes.
Jamira Calais
Jamira Calais rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Martha Johnson
Martha Johnson rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Ronald hemphill
Ronald hemphill rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
BENEDICTA ANWULI NWAJEI
BENEDICTA ANWULI NWAJEI rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
kathleen willis
kathleen willis marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Sarah Pochedly
Sarah Pochedly rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
emese biró
emese biró marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Tres Fuerte
Tres Fuerte marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Carol Lawrence
Carol Lawrence rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Rebecca L Lockwood
Rebecca L Lockwood rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Debbie Lyle Mason
Debbie Lyle Mason marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Rene
Rene rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
  • The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World
  • The Italian Slow Cooker
  • The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen
  • The Art of Preserving
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less
  • The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever
  • Sunday Soup: A Year's Worth of Mouth-Watering, Easy-to-Make Recipes
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
  • Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family and Friends
  • Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas
  • Raw
  • Bobby Flay's Boy Meets Grill: With More Than 125 Bold New Recipes
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux
  • Country Living The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen: Live Well, Laugh Often, Cook Much