Start by marking “Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)

Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  20,419 ratings  ·  800 reviews
Come heck or high water, Gracie Snow is determined to drag the legendary ex-jock Bobby Tom Denton back home to Heaven, Texas, to begin shooting his first motion picture. Despite his dazzling good looks and killer charm, Bobby Tom has reservations about being a movie star -- and no plans to cooperate with a prim and bossy Ohio wallflower whom he can't get off his mind or ou ...more
Hardcover (Large Print), Large Print, 491 pages
Published December 1st 1998 by Wheeler Publishing (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven, Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven, Texas

Karen
5 STARS
 photo cowboy12.jpg

What a shocker! I have no idea how she did it, but Susan Elizabeth Phillips managed the impossible. I went into this one with a bad attitude. Yes.. I had absolutely no interest in a character named Bobby Tom anything. And even the heroine left me feeling completely B O R E D...*yawn* But somehow I ended up absolutely LOVING this book!!!

“There’s no accounting for the mysteries of the human heart”

photo d1ca3397197a53d21df3b464cc39521d.jpg

Bobby Tom Denton was in the height of his career as the all-star wide receiver for the Chi
Shawna
4-4 stars – Contemporary Romance

I liked SEP’s witty writing, laugh-out-loud humor, and steamy love scenes, but the hero’s crappy treatment of the heroine made me spitting nails mad at times. I just kept thinking, “why does she put up with his sh*t”?!?!

Retired football legend Bobby Tom Denton might be a sexy as sin, insatiably flirtatious, happy-go-lucky, infectiously funny, womanizing, hellraising, aw shucks ma’am cowboy with killer bedroom skills and a sh*t-eating grin, but he’s also an egot
Ingela
Written January 26, 2014

5 Huge Stars - stunning romantic and hilarouis fun -
I loved every single page - a true joy to read - simply amazing good!!

Our dear hero Bobby Tom Denton:
“I happen to be immature, undisciplined, and self-centered, pretty much a little boy in a man's body, although I'd appreciate it if you didn't quote me on that.”

...bull's-eye, but what a fun and irresistible Texas guy!

Heaven, Texas is adorable cute, funny and incredibly well written. I think anyone who, like me, loves a c
♥Sharon♥
Rolling with this series. Looking forward to finally finding out why my good friend Karen has this in her review. Hmmmmm

photo 2faa2c42-c4cb-49f5-9e19-faa89ae366c5_zpsmgln2mhp.jpg
Emmie
I've been rereading SEP's books this past month and falling back in love with her novels, as well as catching up on some new ones which I enjoyed immensely.

However, "Heaven, Texas" is NOT one of those books. The romance starts off distastefully with Bobby Tom Denton living the life of a rich, shallow, sexist NFL player who treats women like disposable 'sex' objects. Fine, usually this serves as a starting point for the 'hero' who will display inner worth and grow along the way. Instead, Bobby To
Angela
Susan Elizabeth Phillips has a unique way of combining romance with laugh out loud humor and then mixing in unusual characters to create an engaging rom com story. Heaven, Texas has her distinctive funny, sexy style written all over it. This is the second book in the Chicago Stars series but can be read as a standalone. While I didn’t like this book as much as It Had to Be You, I still found it to be quite enjoyable.

The story surrounds Bobby Tom Denton, a good ole southern boy. He’s a ladies man
Natalie Monroe
“You have an unusual house. Have you lived here long?"

"A couple of years. I don't much like it myself, but the architect is real proud of it. She calls it urban Stone Age with a Japanese Tahitian influence. I sort of just call it ugly.”

Imma let you in on a little secret.

This is the novel I read after Fifty Shades of Grey to purge myself of that monstrosity of a romance/erotica. In many aspects, their plots are similar: virgin, old-fashioned heroines; billionaire, good-looking male leads and
Nisha
1st Read: April 25, 2010
Bobby Tom is egotistical, selfish, privileged, conceited, and insensitive - not exactly what you look for in a hero. But raised with southern values, he's also charming, sweet, charitable and seems like an overall nice guy, but when fashion disaster, average-looks Gracie Snow enters his life, things get a little screwy for both of them.

Needless to say, I loved it. I loved every part of this gut-wrenching, humorous, yet emotional SM relationship between the H/h. They make
Writerlibrarian
A very average Phillips, with some recycled plot points from other books (or maybe it's the other way around since I haven't read them in order of publishing dates). The good old southern boy character is getting a bit stale. The strip-tease in front of friends the first time the heroine meets the hero is also somewhat icky by now. I really didn't like the lead male character, Bobby Tom, just the name made me just want to run the other way, the character is a boy-men, a very cliché Peter Pan typ ...more
Sophie ♥
Aug 21, 2013 Sophie ♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick lit/contemp readers
Rate: 5 solid stars

“I know how you felt about each other, Mom. I saw it every day. Maybe that's why I've never had much interest in getting married myself. Because I've always wanted the same thing.”

Gracie danced past in his peripheral vision, and at that exact moment, the fact that he could have the same thing his parents had had all those years hit him so hard he nearly stumbled.Jesus. As he held his mother in his arms and felt his father's presence, he knew that same intimacy was right here w
Leslie
BE STILL MY BEATING HEART!!

THAT WAS FUCKING

photo Amazing-GIF.gif

I had a blast listening to this book!! That must sound so freaking lame to some people but I swear the best way to describe this book is FUN!! The authors sense of humor and sarcasm and writing style are so freaking engaging and I couldn't stop listening to it! I love her!! The character were awesome the storyline super cute and the dialogue!! OMG THE DIALOGUE!! I have laughed thru out the whole book, all the characters are a trip!

All you guys need t
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
4`5 <3
Kathleen
NEW epilogue! SEP has posted an epilogue on her website, free. It's set ten years in the future. Sweet!

Book 2 of the Chicago Stars series. Romantic, witty, funny, angsty...it's got it all. 5 stars for characterization, humor, passion...and set in a small town called Heaven, Texas. The only slightly weak point is the setting didn't feel vivid.

One of my FAVORITE books of the CR genre. It's filled with humor and angst and lots of interesting and likable -- or not so likable -- characters. The plot
Yodamom
Bobby Tom is a broken ex football player. His knee was damaged during a game that ended his life time love of playing football. He is also the player known to woman around the globe, a lier, and an egomaniac. But Bobby Tom is not a bad guy he loves people and helping people is his #1 goal, unfortunately everyone takes.
Gracie Snow is a small town 30 year old virgin who has lived a very sheltered life working in a retirement home. When she get an offer for job with a movie production company she j
Lisa Kay
My first exposure to SEP was Heaven, Texas and, therefore, it has a special place in my heart. This is not just another bad-boy football superstar with a diabolic gleam meets 30 year-old wallflower story. These characters had depth. (view spoiler) ...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I have a message for Bobby Tom:

I hate your guts and I’m glad you got trashed at the end of the book!!!!

God, I despised this guy… I just wanted to hit him in his big fat head almost all the time. And Gracie being such an idiot o.O deathstare for all of you!!

Buuuuuut, overall it was a great book. I really enjoyed it.
Juliana
Heaven, Texas was absolutely wonderful! It's my first book by Phillips and although I got it from the library, I'm definitely putting it on my "To Buy" list, since I know I will want to reread this book several times. So cute and very funny; the interactions between the hero and heroine were priceless and the supporting characters were interesting and added to the story.

When I was preparing to venture into contemporary romance and did "research" (lol) on Rachel Gibson's books, See Jane Score see
Ally72
Susan Elizabeth Phillips is a new author for me and I loved her writing! This was the first book I have read of hers and it definitely won't be the last.
Nadia
Years ago, I've read a review for Heaven, Texas that was pretty unfavorable and it completely put me off. I still see the things that bothered that particular reviewer, but I was able to overlook them because this book was so much fun.
There were things that maybe annoyed me a bit, that were OTT or got too complicated for my taste, but even then Heaven, Texas had me fully engrossed in the story and I was enjoying it a lot.

If you're in a mood for a silly small town romance, that'll melt your hea
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)

Gracie Snow is a completely innocent, stubborn, but curious 30 year old seeking adventure. Luckily her new job working for a Hollywood studio should provide all the excitement she hopes for. Her first assignment is to collect Bobby Tom Denton, a former American football player, and bring him to the film set so they can start filming his first film. Simple? Not really, but Gracie risks life, limb and her heart to get him there.

I love this book, it always comes to mind when I need something swee
Duchess Nicole
This book left me with a big goofy smile on my face. I wanted a lighthearted contemporary romance. Seems like its hard to find something lately that's doesn't have a killer on the loose or a vampire lover waiting in the dark. "Heaven, Texas" was exactly what I wanted. And there were plenty of laughs and silliness. But there were also some really emotional parts, and one knock your socks off sexy scene (dark closet, anyone?) that, while not horribly graphic, was extremely erotic. Bobby Tom is not ...more
 ~V~
What a CUTE book!! I SO enjoy "the ugly duckling gets the ladies' man" story lines...they can be so sweet! That entire scene where Bobby Tom finally gives Gracie the football quiz at the insistence of the town's people was LOL priceless!!! I also really loved the side story with Suzy and Way!

It's a bummer that SEP didn't include the epilogue in the book but i'm so glad she posted it on her website, it's always fun to see where a couple ends up in the future! Here's the link to the epilogue...

ht
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Re-read 10/25/2014. Enjoyed it as much the second go 'round!

I agree with my previous 4 Star rating.
Patrisha
4,5 per questa spiritosa e sensuale storia tutta da gustare. Sto scoprendo poco a poco con grande piacere questa autrice e ogni volta mi ritrovo a divorare i suoi romanzi. I personaggi femminili sono sempre pieni di vita e brillanti, le loro interazioni con i fustacchioni protagonisti spassose e divertenti. Ma quello che apprezzo sinceramente è il background dei personaggi, solidi e ben strutturati. Capisci le loro motivazioni, i loro caratteri, il loro agire. Mi è piaciuto tanto Bobby Tom, così ...more
thuy
Deeksha
3.5 Stars

Dragged a little in the middle but overall a good, funny and really cute book.
Büşra Bal
Tamam kitap çok güzel.Dili komik ve akıcı,çeviri de iyi. karakterler sevilesi. Çok severek okudum,ama küçücük bir eleştirim var. Bu yazarın erkek karakterlerinde benim pek hazetmediğim bir şey var. Ben ağır ama komik erkek severim. Bakınız : Matthew Farrel - Cennet. Ama bu kadının kitaplarındaki adamlar direk ipini koparmış,akılları fikirleri yatakta olan tipler. Arada bir ağır abilik görmek istiyorum ama hep lakayt hep zevzek yani. Kendilerine birazcık Matt'i örnek almalarını önererek, mutlaka ...more
Splage
So many funny parts in this book. I love how Gracie just gets Bobby Tom's mocking sense of humor and sees through it. The climax and ending are incredible, when Gracie finally sees her self worth and tells Bobby Tom no. She breaks him, cool composure gone and everybody witnesses it- priceless. I could reread this ending a million times and never get bored.
Ronyell
After reading It Had to Be You, I was definitely interested in checking out the rest of Susan Elizabeth Phillips’ fantastic “Chicago Stars” series! Lo and behold, I managed to pick up the second book in the “Chicago Stars” series, “Heaven Texas” and I loved it!

Bobby Tom Denton was once a legendary football player for the Chicago Stars until a knee injury cost him his career! Even though Bobby Tom is no longer playing football, he is still well-loved by the people of Texas. However, Bobby Tom’s l
Historical werstern romance set in Texas with hero named Ryder 1 7 Jun 07, 2015 11:17AM
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils (Playboys, #2)
  • Slow Heat (Pacific Heat, #2)
  • Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • Body Check (New York Blades, #1)
  • Sliding Home (Richmond Rogues, #4)
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1) (Ladies, #1)
  • The Kept Woman
  • Catch of the Day (Gideon's Cove, #1)
  • Mackenzie's Mountain (Mackenzie Family, #1)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

The Huffington Post says the books of Susan Elizabeth Phillips provide a “gateway drug to the whole [romance] genre,” which she assumes is a good thing. Bookpage magazine calls her “the crown jewel of romantic comedy writers,” which is definitely a good thing. Since she wrote her first novel on a typewriter in her kitchen, her books have been published in over 30 languages
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips...

Chicago Stars (8 books)
  • It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • Untitled (Chicago Stars, #8)
It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6) Kiss an Angel Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7) Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)

“Anything worth having is worth fighting for.” 192 likes
“You couldn't be satisfied with being an amateur asshole, could you, Jimbo! You had to go and turn pro on me!” 103 likes