Start by marking “A Different Beat: Writing by Women of the Beat Generation” as Want to Read:
A Different Beat: Writing by Women of the Beat Generation

A Different Beat: Writing by Women of the Beat Generation

Both a rediscovery and a celebration, this anthology gathers the beat period writings of 26 women. The work aims to provide a celebration of the female independence of mind and spirit.
Published July 1st 1997 by Serpent's Tail

To ask other readers questions about A Different Beat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Different Beat

Apr 18, 2008 Ploetzly rated it it was amazing
read this in seattle, right after my time in bali doing writing workshops with anne waldman, wanted to find out more about her work and the context of her work. i had kind of hated beats because of how male centric it all was. this book led to me discovering diane di prima, and she was such a good way into the whole beat thing, her and anne.
Apr 13, 2011 Renee rated it liked it
Read for school. This book is mostly memoir and poetry, and while I didn't read all of it, I think I read enough to get a good feel for the writing. In class, we looked at the writing of 10 of the 27 authors: Carolyn Cassady, Elise Cowen, Diane di Prima, Jan Kerouac, Joan Haverty Kerouac, Joanne Kyger, Joanna McClure, Margaret Randall, Laura Ulewicz, and Anne Waldman. The poems were a little "out there" for me, but then I'm not much of a poetry fan anyway. Some of them had really nice rhythm and ...more
Oct 24, 2014 Paula rated it liked it
Confession: I only read half of this book - i.e. the prose and narrative sections, and I enjoyed those very much. I could not make it through ANY of the poetry, which was half of this book. It was almost completely inaccessible to me and I couldn't force myself to finish a single poem. But I very must enjoyed the prose/narrative/memoir choices, especially from Neal Cassady's and Jack Kerouac's wives.
Jul 07, 2014 Vin rated it really liked it
I actually read Gargoyle 60, not A Different Beat. But I do want to read about the women of the Beat Generation. And the book about the Morton Salt Girl. Gargoyle 60 was like a water-balloon hurled at my migraine-head. That is a good thing. Some of my favorite fiction was '13-Part Story with Mime,' 'Comment Cards' and 'The Idea of Isabel.' Favorite poems -- 'My Underwear,' 'Homage to my Father's Tearlessness' and 'Swimming the Firth of Forth.' I hope that's helpful. Oh, and the non-fiction piece ...more
Feb 22, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
My husband is a huge Kerouac fan, and I have read some of his books. I was really excited to read book of short stories written by women of that generation. It was a really good read, I couldn't put it down.
mimi albert
carolyn cassady
diane di prima
joyce johnson
hettie jones
joan haverty kerouac
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Betsy Housten
Betsy Housten marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Cheryl Grimm
Cheryl Grimm rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Gabriela Raya
Gabriela Raya marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Yolie marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Tatiana Brown
Tatiana Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Nadja marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Irma Vermaat
Irma Vermaat rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Hedda marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Shelley rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Andrew Mcloughlin
Andrew Mcloughlin marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Gary rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Erin Lyndal
Erin Lyndal marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Zelda marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Chloe Nichols
Chloe Nichols marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Gin May
Gin May rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Vincent rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Kristin marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Steven marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Chelseymullins11 rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Allison rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Kristen Capozzolo
Kristen Capozzolo marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Adi Graham
Adi Graham marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015