Start by marking “Thank You, M'Am” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176

Langston Hughes

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Do your students enjoy a good laugh? Do they like to be scared? Or do they just like a book with a happy ending? No matter what their taste, our Creative Short Stories series has the answer.We've taken some of the world's best stories from dark, musty anthologies and brought them into the light, giving them the individual attention they deserve. Each book in the series has ...more
Published April 1st 1997 by Creative Education (first published December 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Thank You, M'Am, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You, M'Am

Olivias2012
Have you ever read a story that conflicts confused you? Well I have. And that’s how I felt about the short story Thank You M’am by Langston Hughes. In this story there are two characters Roger and Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones. Roger is a 14 or 15-year-old African-American boy with a dirty face and very frail. Roger wants a pair of blue suede shoes that he can’t afford and that’s how he ran into Mrs. Jones. Mrs. Jones is a large southern woman and very independent. She teaches Roger that he ...more
Ethan Bello
American Literature: Summer Reading Assignment

The short story, " Thank You Ma'am" is a Langston Hughes classic. The story shows portrays a black young boy who is very poor. He is out on the street very late at night all dirty. This boy tries to run up on Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones to snatch her pocketbook from her. Mrs. Jones is a heavyset woman, once he tries to take the bag from her she wrestles him off. She ends up noticing his poverty , and takes him into her home. While in her home
Haya Zuhair
I like how the narrator humanises his characters, how he provides the reader with the human story behind the events. He allows us to know more about Mrs.Jones by providing her actions, physical appearance,dialogue. We even learnt a lot from the way she said her name. She is very confident, proud person. I really love this character! although she has a rough exterior, she is really the kindest of people. She has that American and African motherly love. I also love her because she is the one who t ...more
Gretchen
The short story "Thank You M'am" is an interesting story that demonstrates that every one has something in common. The boy tried to steal Mrs. Jones' pocketbook in the start of the story. Mrs. Jones reacted by taking the boy to her home. Mrs. Jones then left the door open as she and the boy visited. This showed at Mrs. Jones was not keeping the boy by force, however, the boy chose to stay as he had no one at home. As Mrs. Jones and the boy continue to talk, it is soon revealed that Mrs. Jones u ...more
Davidr2012

Wow! did you ever read thank you ma'am, well i did and I really liked it a lot but my favorite part was the characters Mrs. Jones a fat lady who is old and African American, and Rodger a much different person he is small , fast, and skinny. I have chosen to pick the characters because I cant relate to Rodger and I know someone just like Mrs. Jones.

First Mrs. Jones Is a wonderful fat lady but she is smart and nice woman. My friends grandmother is just like her but I don't think she
Stephen
I love the story "Thank You M'am" it had a great story plot to it and and underlining story that everybody has a purpose in life to help someone. Miss Jones show Rodger that you don't have to steal thing in life to get some thing. If you ask you may receive.
Morgan White
Filiberto O.
I think this story was a marvelous short story. It shows how a troubled kid gets his life turned around, just by the kindness of other people. It shows how ms. Jones helps a kid trust others, so he doesnt have to steal.
Jeff2012 Slatt
Thank You M'am. What a great story. It has great character, climax, and the moral of the story where great.

First, The characters were awesome. Ms. Jones was such an inspiration for roger. He went from stealing to good in a day all because of her guidance.

Next, The climax was tremendous. When Roger didn't take the purse when the purse was right next to him was such an improvement for him. He was a new man.

Lastly, the morel was beautiful. The morel was probably what goes around comes around becaus
NOSH AL-REFAIE
the antagonist had a round character, that helped the woman to deliver her lesson.
Amanda
I didn't like this book.
Brennan Wieland
I've heard stories like these in the past, and they always annoy me slightly. The woman in the story who won't take no for an answer takes in a young boy who tries to steal her pocketbook. She cleans his dirty face and gives him a meal, and after that the two part ways, and you are certain that the boy has been changed because of it.

These kind of stories seem too simple and easy to create. You can tell exactly what is going to happen next, while the author is explaining it to you, and there are
Mrs. Romaniuk
I loved "Thank You M'am!" The beginning is sure to catch the attention of my students when Roger attempts to steal the purse of Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones. The events that follow this act are surprising and suspenseful. Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones is an unforgettable character in this short story. She embodies power, trust, understanding, and empathy. This is one story you don’t want to miss.
Rao Umar
I could feel the story rising but for mere anticlimax.

Was she being nice or mere delighted to disgusting...I cant say any thing about that but the way the story was developed it was redoubtable admirable and the moral touch is also very brilliant.

However the it was a very powerless story like the wet mud on the bank of river.
-over and out
Rao Umar
Naomi Oyegue
THIS BOOK REALLY BRINGS OUT THE TRUTH OF POOR BLACK PEOPLE WHO STRUGGLE BECAUSE THEY WANT SOMETHING OR BECAUSE THEY WANT TO HAVE SOMETHING THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE THAT THEY DON'T AND THEY DO THAT BY TRYING TO STEAL MONEY TO GET IT AND THIS BOOK TELLS US HOW SOME OF THEM DO IT AND HOW SO PEOPLE HANDLE IT.
10-11 Colton Loveless
WHAT HAPPEND!?!? I want to say this story (like many others) left you on a cliff hanger... but it didn't because there's no part 2 or whatever. None the less it's a good story and if you get the chance you should read it.
Mindi
This is my first exposure to Langston Hughes' short stories. This one was not bad. It is a bout a boy who attempts to steal an old lady's purse. What happens next is surprising and heart-warming.
Adam
This is my all time favorite story from my childhood, and even as an adult. Very simple, very powerful, and one of the strongest endings to a story that I can remember.
Isabel Hernandez
i actually loved this story it explains alot and of you should not steal and thats alot that has been happening in this generation.
Rachel
Wonderful short story about a woman who teaches a young boy the meaning of kindness!!!
Zeinab  Haj Hasan
its the most exepressive story really loveit
Sophia
it was a cute short story
Isimatsu Gabia
Isimatsu Gabia marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Ace Mcconnell
Ace Mcconnell marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Rose Marie
Rose Marie marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • The Fog Horn
  • The Signalman
  • The World's Greatest Short Stories
  • A White Heron
  • Chanda's Wars (Chanda, #2)
  • A&P: Lust in the Aisles
  • Skin Folk
  • Safe as Houses
  • Morella
  • April in Moscow (Penguin Joint Venture Readers)
  • Larger-Than-Life Lara
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • The Diary of a Teenage Girl
  • Midnight Fires (Mary Wollstonecraft, #1)
Langston Hughes was an American poet, social activist, novelist, playwright, short story writer, and columnist. He was one of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form jazz poetry. Hughes is best known for his work during the Harlem Renaissance. He famously wrote about the period that "Harlem was in vogue."
More about Langston Hughes...
The Collected Poems Selected Poems The Ways of White Folks Not Without Laughter The Best of Simple