Start by marking “Meeting of East and West” as Want to Read:
Meeting of East and West

Meeting of East and West

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Published June 28th 1979 by Ox Bow Press (first published June 1979)

Mark Underwood
Dec 10, 2014 Mark Underwood rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mark by: Charles Wallraff
Shelves: owned
This book, which I read in college in an earlier edition, was one of the most influential I read at the time. I was committed to trying (and ultimately failing) to build an interdisciplinary graduate program -- for myself -- and this book demonstrated that such endeavors are both worthwhile and possible.

Should be required reading for every ethnocentric, culturally nearsighted, poorly traveled monolingual American -- among which I was forced to count myself at the time that I read it.
Jonathan Malone
If it were not a dated book (1946) I would easily give it four stars. Northrop gives and excellent analysis of the philosophical foundations of various would cultures. His view of the "East" is dated but still holds merit. It is clear that Northrop writes out of the 1940s and 1950s - his proposal for a synthesis of cultures includes a change in religion/theology via the arts. The idea that we can find a way to bring together different cultures is dated and hopefully abandoned. His view of the ar ...more
Jim
One of the most interesting books I've ever read. Written in 1947, it was decades ahead of its time. An influence on Robert Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance). Recommended for any lover of wisdom.
John Hodge
This is a brilliant and insightful inquiry into the differences between Eastern and Western cultures and shows how each could be enriched by the other.
Ryland Matthews
Ryland Matthews marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Charles. S
Charles. S marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Eric Abell
Eric Abell marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Ledimir Nunez
Ledimir Nunez marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Bastian
Bastian marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Van Hu
Van Hu marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Denmark Luceriaga
Denmark Luceriaga marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Jmartinez
Jmartinez marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Srdjan
Srdjan marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Hazalkarasah
Hazalkarasah marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Edlene Gr5ace
Edlene Gr5ace marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
N0dgrand87
N0dgrand87 marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Adam Smith
Adam Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Prabhat Gusain
Prabhat Gusain marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Joseph Knapp
Joseph Knapp marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Daniel Sherburn
Daniel Sherburn marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Logic of the Sciences and the Humanities Man Nature and God a Quest for Lifes Meani Science And First Principles The Taming of the Nations: A Study of the Cultural Bases of International Policy The Meeting of East and West