Start by marking “Vintage Reading: From Plato to Bradbury: A Personal Tour of Some of the World S Best Books” as Want to Read:

Presents a collection of essays unlike any other stuffy attempt at introducing the modern reader to the Great Books.
Published February 1st 1998 by Bancroft Press

To ask other readers questions about Vintage Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vintage Reading

Tashia
Jul 06, 2013 Tashia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-reads
I won this book on Goodreads a while back. If you ever want to be inspired to read classics that you otherwise thought was boring and/or want to have many books summarized for you in one place before reading the actual book, then this is the book you need as a guideline. I enjoyed the thoughts and opinions prepared on many classics as it made me want to pick up a few when I was recently in Barnes and Nobles. If you are not sure what to read next, read this and it will guide you in the right dire ...more
Qi
Oct 21, 2015 Qi rated it liked it
I picked up this book rather accidentally. It is a compilation of short book notes based on the wide-ranged reading by the author. Some pieces appeared to be rather seriously worked through, others fleetingly light. It may be useful as curiosity reference for books one has read or heard of, but it does not inspire much in this particular reader.
Adrienne Teague
Okay, I put this on the "makes me look smart" shelf because it says Plato on the cover and has a bunch of historic pictures.

Basically, the author read a bunch of old books- some you've heard of, some you haven't- and reviewed them for the contemporary reader. And it would have worked really well, except he dated the book. He kept saying, "At almost 50 years old, this book..." Well, now the book is 60 years old. If he hadn't said stuff like that, the reader would never have noticed that the writ
Terri Timonen
Jan 26, 2014 Terri Timonen rated it liked it
A little too verbose and grammatically pretentious for my liking; however, I did glean helpful insights that I will definitely put into practice when reading classical literature in the future.
Denise
Mar 22, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it
I loved this!!!! I did not read all at once, but over the course of a few days I was able to put my "to read " list in better order. Kanigel gave me great insite to some I wasn't sure if I wanted to read and helped know I needed to put others at the Top or Bottom of my list. I am so pleased that I am sharing with my co -workers!! Thank you so much for the book!!!!!!
Pekoe
Apr 26, 2012 Pekoe rated it it was amazing
Vintage Reading: From Plato to Bradbury: A Personal Tour of Some of the World's Best Books. Every student and reader needs this one. Essays by Robert Kanigel.
Saad Bhamla
Jun 04, 2013 Saad Bhamla rated it really liked it
Robert is great and insightful author. This is a great read to find books that you want to read in the future.
Beth
Dec 10, 2007 Beth rated it it was ok
Some dude writes synopses of books he thinks people should read. It's goodreads.com in paperback form.
Jocelyn
Nov 14, 2010 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
So many books, so little time. It helps me choose the next book.
John
Apr 02, 2009 John added it
Sounded great! I'll peruse later.;)
Kristine
Meh.
Rajvinder
Rajvinder rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Stevetay
Stevetay rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Wasi Rizvi
Wasi Rizvi marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Goddess of Chaos
Goddess of Chaos marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Karishma
Karishma rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Phoebe
Phoebe rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Rasika Dekhane
Rasika Dekhane marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Amruta
Amruta rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Mary Bronson
Mary Bronson marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Alexandre
Alexandre marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Alistair
Alistair marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Christopher Garcia
Christopher Garcia marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Laura Waxman
Laura Waxman marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
  • Phantoms on the Bookshelves
  • Faulks on Fiction
  • The Socialite Who Killed a Nazi with Her Bare Hands and 143 Other Fascinating People Who Died This Past Year: The Best of the New York Times Obituaries, 2013
  • How to Build a Better Pie: Sweet and Savory Recipes for Flaky Crusts, Toppers, and the Things in Between
  • Sail Away: Journeys of a Merchant Seaman
  • The Complete Houseplant Survival Manual: Essential Gardening Know-how for Keeping (Not Killing!) More Than 160 Indoor Plants
  • Made in America: Immigrant Students in Our Public Schools
  • Touching America's History: From the Pequot War Through WWII
  • The Anatomy of Bibliomania
  • Called To Question:  A Spiritual Memoir
  • Booze for Free: The Definitive Guide to Making Beer, Wines, Cocktail Bases, Ciders, and Other Dr inks at Home
  • Walking a Literary Labyrinth
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • The Golden Shore: California's Love Affair with the Sea
  • The New Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classic Guide to World Literature, Revised and Expanded
  • The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of African-American Literary Criticism
  • Bedtime Stories for the Insomniac
  • Seasons of Insanity
Robert Kanigel was born in Brooklyn, but for most of his adult life has lived in Baltimore, where he lives today. He has written seven books.

"The Man Who Knew Infinity," his second book, was named a National Book Critics Circle finalist, a Los Angeles Times Book Prize finalist, and a New York Public Library "Book to Remember." It has been translated into Italian, German, Greek, Chinese, Thai, and
More about Robert Kanigel...