Start by marking “The Essential Ellison” as Want to Read:
The Essential Ellison

The Essential Ellison

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  781 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In April of 1949, Harlan Ellison was a lonely little kid living in Painesville, Ohio. A time traveler, observing him from within an invisible bubble, would not have marked him as anything more interesting than an undersized fourteen-year-old, seemingly always in hot water. Lively blue eyes, but basically just another kid." "But something was stirring, something was wakenin ...more
Published September 1st 1991 by Morpheus Intl (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Ellison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Ellison

Jay Magidson
From sex to sci-fi this volume (if you can find it) has it all. Ellison is a man of imagination and ideas. Some extremely weird, like "The Function of Dream Sleep" were the protagonist exhales his pain through a secret mouth on the side of his body. Or one of my all time favorite short stories: "I have no mouth and I must scream" where the remaining 3 or 4 human beings on earth are tortured for centuries in the belly of a computer. It is a giant book, and sometimes I wonder if the spine will giv ...more
Becca
Harlan Ellison is someone you probably haven't heard of, but you've probably seen or heard of things he's written scripts and screenplays for (Star Trek, The Terminator, Babylon 5). He is a prolific short story writer. I got his anthology of short stories and read a few that were recommended. He's a gritty Sci-Fi writer, and a lot of the stories I hated the characters, but Ellison definitely is an expert writer. Even as I was cringing I was admiring how he was able to make me cringe. Some of my ...more
Richard
I like Ellison a lot, but this collection is unreadable--a classic case of packing way too much into a suitcase.
Ellison is sexist. He doesn't realize he's sexist, which is sad. He sounds like he has the right understanding about how someone should treat a fellow human being, but this collection is rife with rape, abuse, and violence toward women. This is amusing because one of the last articles in the novel is about how he disparages about the horror movies of the time abdicating violence toward women. Maybe he's changed since his earlier novels.

I might be willing to dismiss the violence towards women ha
bluentity
This massive tome is the definitive collection of Harlan Ellison's short fiction. Although Ellison doesn't have the name recognition of Asimov, Heinlein, or Bradbury, he is still one of the giants of the science fiction genre. Of those three, Ellison is probably most similar to Ray Bradbury in his focus on the individual human element in his stories over describing how much radiation pressure the sun exerts on an X-square-mile solar sail or in drawing grand space operas, although Ellison is roug ...more
Fred
For anyone who is a lover of short stories and who hasn't read Harlan Ellison's work before you're seriously missing out. Harlan Ellison helped to define the contemporary short story as well as what we know today as speculative or science fiction. He worked as a writer on several of the original Star Trek episodes and on the Babylon 5 series. He's had over 1,200 short stories and something like 40 novels published and that's not counting his contribution to television and film.

This is a massive
Nicholas Armstrong
Harlan Ellison is quite possibly the greatest SF (That's speculative fiction to him) author of all time. If ever an award should have been given to the genre it should have been given to him. This collection has some of the most remarkable stories ever told; futuristic setting or not.

The introductions aren't very interesting but we didn't buy this tome to read about other people - well, okay, we did, but they are the ones Ellison created, not the people that like talking about him.

Within are st
Frank Roberts
Harlan Ellison's writing has balls (and teeth, and fingernails, and . . .). He is certainly up there in the pantheon of short story writers - maybe not the best ever, but he could probably kick the crap out of the other ones, anyway. His transitional essays in his books are every bit as entertaining and enlightening as his stories. If you cannot collect all of his works, this is a good starting point. (He also has the Best Titles Ever - I have No Mouth and I Must Scream; Shattered Like a Glass G ...more
Amy
Harlan Ellison is a Renaissance Man - screenplays, essays, short stories, and renowned editor, he's been on the Hollywood and fantasy/science fiction scene for a long time. This huge tome gathers some of his best work for your perusal, and it's a great read. There have been updates since this has come out, so there is also a 50-Year Retrospective - I'll have to get my mitts on that at some point...
Dimitry
This book of collected works includes "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman." That alone should prompt a purchase. Ellison's social commentary makes him sound a bit like a high-functioning version of Alexander Portnoy, which only adds to his appeal. The tales in this collection include the hilarious, the annoying, and the horrible.
Galo
For those familiar or unfamilar with the award-winning short works of Harlan Ellison, this 35 year retrospective is an omnibus collection covering the depth and range of a modern-day master. Ellison's unique and disturbing philosophy blooms in the startling revelations of our own dark nature. Its a must read.
Mahesh
I love Harlan Ellison. He has such passion and ire and outrage (and provokes the same), but he writes with such great beauty. The same man who coined the term "bugfuck" is capable of writing the achingly elegiac "Strange Wine," which is probably one of my favorite short stories of all time.
Amy Wolf
Ellison is probably the greatest living American short story writer. Pieces like Tick Tock Man and I Have No Mouth alone secure him in the pantheon. What I really like about Harlan is that he lets you into his writer's world.
Peter Altice
Not all of the stories are 5 stars, but enough are to warrant a high rating.

Harlan Ellison is one of the best Sci-Fi writers of the 20th century. This book has so many gems, it is worth reading. If you like Sci-Fi, read Ellison.
Scott
My favorite author. Read "Jefty is Five" and try to keep from balling your eyes out for a month. The read, "I have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" and be totally disturbed and sickened for the next month. A powerful writer.
Thomas Strömquist
I really need to read this one again, it's been a number of years now... At his best, an amazing storyteller and linguist. A collection of this magnitude, however contains both the best and the not, hence the rating.
William
I have read this book cover to cover, and had to replace it seven times.

Mr. Ellison's stories are old friends, that simply must be visited...for comfort, as well as to make you grow.
Scott
harlan is kind of a jerk, but the guy can tell a story. i read "i have no mouth and i must scream" 20 years ago but i still get creeped out when i think about it.
Michael Tanner
This is the definitive collecton of this work. A great collection of novellas, essays and short stories including just about any work of his you would want to have.
Dave Ballance
First part of the book with his early history and early stores is a bit tedious and not all that great. But then it evens out into his better works.
Serge Pierro
Harlan Ellison has a way with words that few can match. His sentence structure and storytelling ability never cease to amaze me. One of the greats!
Michelle
Harlan Ellison was hugely influential to my early reading, and this book is a beautiful compilation of his best writing.
Listened to "Driving in the Spikes", "Erotophobia", "Valeri: A True Memoir", "The Very Last Day of a Good Woman".
Nick
Incredible collection of sci-fi's bad boy author. "Jefty is 5" and "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" are incredible!
Brian Sammons
if you only get 1 book by Harlan Ellison (and you really should have more) make it this one. It's title is very apt.
Martin
for a boy and his dog alone this one makes the list . . . of course, there's a lot more worth reading in here so enjoy.
Vittorio
This is a fantastic Ellison collection-it literally is "essential"! Most highest recommendation!
Scott
The best short-story writer to ever work in the arena of the fantastic.
jordan
Some old friends sit on the shelf and beckon you to stop by for a visit.
Dean Madonia
These are his best storie and essays - picked out by the author!
  • Stories of Ray Bradbury
  • The Island of Dr. Death and Other Stories and Other Stories
  • Objects of Worship
  • Driftglass
  • The Baum Plan for Financial Independence and Other Stories
  • A Pretty Mouth
  • Nine Hundred Grandmothers
  • The Children of Old Leech: A Tribute to the Carnivorous Cosmos of Laird Barron
  • The Best of Lucius Shepard
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighth Annual Collection
  • The Complete Stories, Vol. 1: Final Reckonings
  • Crackpot Palace: Stories
  • American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from Poe to the Pulps
Harlan Jay Ellison is a prolific American writer of short stories, novellas, teleplays, essays, and criticism.

His literary and television work has received many awards. He wrote for the original series of both The Outer Limits and Star Trek as well as The Alfred Hitchcock Hour; edited the multiple-award-winning short story anthology series Dangerous Visions; and served as creative consultant/write
More about Harlan Ellison...
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream Dangerous Visions Again, Dangerous Visions Deathbird Stories "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman