The Keeping Room

The Keeping Room

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Revolutionary War novel with a difference When Colonel Joseph Kershaw leaves Camden, South Carolina, to lead the American rebels in their struggle against the British, he leaves his son Joey behind as the man of the house. But what can a 13-year-old do when General Cornwallis comes into town and makes the Kershaws' home his headquarters, and begins hanging American prisone...more
Published September 1st 1997 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about The Keeping Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Keeping Room

Julia
OMG!!! Great ending, I can't believe the ending!!! If you want to know the ending... TOO BAD!!!!! READ IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Real Pokémon Victini
This was a good book about a kid in the Revalutionary War. I felt sad at some points. The main character was interesting to me because he was a kid like me.
Saneel Patel
If you like books set in historical times than this is a good book to read. The author Anna Myers wrote many award winning Novels including this one. The Keeping room takes place in Camden, South Carolina and the whole book revolves in this place. The main character in the book is Joey Kershaw whom is 12 years old. The main setting is taken place in the keeping room in Joey's house. In the story his father is off to war and it is up to Joey to keep his family safe. Joey's favorite room was the...more
NewFranklin School
it was a little to slow reading and didn't really speak to me it didn't really make me think either.
Shannon Clark
Even thought I only rated thsi book a 3 I can't wait to recommend it to my 5th graders-especially my boys who are all about some war. This story has a great message- putting yourself in another person's shoes. Empathy.

A simple read about the American Revolution and how one American boy started out hating the Redcoats and ended up, well let's just say he was a changed boy by the end. :)
Elizabeth
Oklahoma author.

Revolutionary War fiction novel of young (~12) boy in Carolina who wants to be like his father and protect his family. Deals with key issues of slavery, respect of all human, peace/war, however the ending seemed rush- almost as if wanting to leave room for a sequel.
Olivia
Nov 15, 2008 Olivia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary boys
Shelves: owned
It wasn't my favorite book...but as an education major, I could see where a young boy would love it. This could be a useful tool when teaching the history of the Revolutionary War.
Lori
Another historical fiction, this one about the American Revolution. However, my 8 year old son didn't seem to really enjoy it. Maybe another child at another time.
Jamie
I KNOW RITE IT WAS LIKE THE BEST BOOK EVA!!!!!! GREAT ENDING AND AWSOME BOOK!!!!!!! Read in school did not think i would like it!!!!!
Farseer
Farseer marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Brenda
Brenda added it
Aug 13, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Cc
Cc marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Tiffany Young
Tiffany Young marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Rachel Mcroberts
Rachel Mcroberts marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Dana
Dana added it
Jul 06, 2014
Andie
Andie marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Valerie Garcia
Valerie Garcia marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Ashton
Ashton is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Time of the Witches Assassin Confessions from the Principal's Chair Él entre nosotras Tulsa Burning