Start by marking “The Disappearing Stranger (Adventures of the Northwoods #1)” as Want to Read:
The Disappearing Stranger (Adventures of the Northwoods #1)

The Disappearing Stranger (Adventures of the Northwoods #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  25 reviews
If she told her new family what she saw, would anyone believe her?

Her Irish father having died in a construction accident, Kate O’Connell and her mother are left to struggle alone in the Minneapolis of 1906. Deciding her mother needs help, twelve-year-old Kate goes to pray with their pastor about getting her mother a new husband.

But when God answers their prayers, even Kat
Published March 1st 1990 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Disappearing Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disappearing Stranger

Daniel
What a wonderful, wholesome, very readable mystery for young adults!

Certainly the fact that I am intimately familiar with the territory in this book has helped my appreciation for it, but the history researched is quite incredible as well.

The characters are strong and identifiable, the mystery appropriate for the targeted reader, the history seems accurate. All in all, a really fun read, and highly recommended.
Meadow
When Kate O'Connel asked God to send a new husband for her mom, she didn't expect a family and a move to the wilderness. Was it worth her mothers happieness?

This is a great book for tweens. Kate is a spunky mystery loving girl, A lot of girls can relate with.
Abby
This is not my first time reading this book actually it's my fourth time I believe. And I loved it just the same because......

WIIA: "If she told her new family what she saw, would anyone believe her?

Her Irish father having died in a construction accident, Kate O�Connell and her mother are left to struggle alone in the Minneapolis of 1906. Deciding her mother needs help, twelve-year-old Kate goes to pray with their pastor about getting her mother a new husband.

But when God answers their prayers,
Wayne S.
It is 1906 and twelve-year-old Katherine (Kate) O’Connell lives in Minneapolis, MN, with her mother Ingrid (nee Lindblom) who had come as a girl of seventeen from Sweden. Her Irish immigrant father Brendan had died a year before in a construction accident. Mama is so sad that Kate goes to the minister and asks him to pray that Mama will find a new husband. But God answers their prayer in an unexpected way. Mama meets Carl Nordstrom of Windy Hill Farm at Trade Lake, WI, near Grantsburg. Carl’s wi ...more
Stephanie Sheaffer
Geared for 5th-10th grade students, this "mystery novel" moves at a snail's pace.

Kate, the central character, is a 12-year-old immigrant who has recently lost her father in a construction accident. After a series of events, she moves to Wisconsin w/ her mother (who weds a farmer there). Through these large life changes, Kate comes to trust in God and to enjoy the relationships with her three new siblings.
Aileen Stewart
Kate O'Connell is tired of hearing her mother cry every night, she is tired of the sadness that has been in her mother's eyes since the death of her father, and she is tired of how hard her mother has to work to try and pay the rent. So she comes up with a plan to ask the pastor to pray for a new husband for her mother. Little does Kate know that this prayer will change her whole life forever. How Kate copes with three new siblings, being moved to a farm in the the wilds of northwest Wisconsin, ...more
Tirzah
It all started on the long, 10-hour drive to Colorado. My mom gave us kids books to read to keep busy on the road. Little did I know then that when I opened this book to combat boredom, I would fall in love with this fun, family series. Set in the Wisconsin farmland, Kate O'Connell learns many valuable lessons as she adjusts with a new stepfather and siblings. Along the way, she helps uncover a mystery that threatens her family and home.

The Adventures of Northwoods series is unfortunately hard
Brittany
This is a really good story I love reading it
Ariana
I reread these a great deal as a child, and still own them because I loved them so much. The books are about a blended family, and Kate has a difficult time adjusting to the many changes that occur when her mother remarries. While getting used to her new life, various mysteries present themselves to be solved. In this case, it's a stranger who keeps disappearing.
Fon
Had to read this to keep track with what my student is reading right now. For me, it is not out of the ordinary. But if I were a teen, this book might help me cope with my adolescent period where it seems like things are suddenly changing. To sum up, it's a coming of age story that if you miss it, you shouldn't have much regret.
Rachel
One of my *favorite* series as a teen! It does have some "friend-romance" though it's the sweet kind not the overdone kind. The faith and Christian character though and the storyline was what I loved the most about this series! :D Wonderful and I've read the series many, many times.
I liked this one a lot. It's fun to read a book that takes place in my home state. It reminded me of Little House in the Big Woods as the location is the same, just about 50 years later. It was a good story and I look forward to reading others in the series.
Ali
read this entire series as a child... once a month I'd beg my dad stop by 'Bethany Bookstore' so I could see if a new one was in.. good historical mysteries. Excellent series and if anyone has children out there - definitely recommend them.
Peter N.
I did not like this one as much as I liked her Viking Quest series. It was a little more predictable and sentimental. However, it was still pretty good. I think young girls (8-12) will especially enjoy it.
Vicki
May 01, 2012 Vicki rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
Kate O'Connell & her widowed Swedish mother move to NW Wisoconsin to becomepart of a Swedish Family. Kate has toruble fitting in w/ Anders a stepbrother, but a mysterious stranger, bring them together.
AJ
This was one of my favorite series when I was a kid. Great olden days stories, reminded me of Dr Quinn. But, of course, without the medicine.
Ann-kristin Nordmark
This is a book for children of 10-13 years of age, and after they read this they are probably stuck in book readership culture :)
Hannah
This was the first Lois Walfred Johnson book I'd read and was soon captivated by her writing.
Sierra Abrams
My favorite mysteries as a little girl. First "really" creepy books I read. ;)
Hannah
I thought it was good, but I still like the river boat adventures better:-)
Partridge Public
Oct 12, 2007 Partridge Public added it
Recommends it for: INS Joh
Shelves: inspirational
Johnson, Lois Walfrid PB
Elizabeth
I am always re-reading these series!
Marie Williams
reallly really good
Cws
May 21, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Joh
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
  • Mandie and the Forbidden Attic (Mandie Books, #4)
  • The Hidden Jewel: Amy Carmichael (Trailblazer Books #4)
  • Elizabeth Gail and the Mystery at the Johnson Farm
  • Olympic Dreams (High Hurdles, #1)
  • Jael's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • Whispers Down the Lane (Summerhill Secrets, #1)
Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1) Mystery of the Silver Coins (Viking Quest, #2) The Invisible Friend (Viking Quest, #3) Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5) Heart of Courage (Viking Quest, #4)