Start by marking “Married to a Stranger” as Want to Read:
Married to a Stranger

Married to a Stranger

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  495 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Patricia MacDonald, whose finely honed suspense novels have won her a worldwide audience of readers, delivers a stunning new novel inspired by the headline-making murder case of Laci Peterson -- the chilling story of a young wife and mother-to-be who must confront the possibility that her husband is trying to kill her. Twenty-six-year-old Emma Hollis has it all -- a fortun ...more
Published July 11th 2006 by Atria Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Married to a Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Married to a Stranger

Kevin Catapusan
Apr 21, 2015 Kevin Catapusan rated it really liked it
This is an easy read. Although the murderer of this story remained a mystery until the last part of the book, the build up of the resolution is not as engaging as other thriller and murder books (e.g., Patterson, Brown).
Leslie
Sep 24, 2008 Leslie rated it did not like it
Okay, so the disclaimer is that I would never have chosen this book to read. That may, in fact, be said of several of my reading selections over the past several months. But I'm faithfully working my way through my father's and grandmother's books, and trying to read those which I can unload first in order to make room on the bookshelves for those that really matter to me. That being said, this was a quick, relatively entertaining read. It's not particularly well-written, nor is it a tight plot, ...more
Emmie
Mar 10, 2015 Emmie rated it really liked it
Synopsis:

"Twenty-six-year-old Emma Hollis has it all - a fortune she inherited from her father, a job she loves as a counselor at an adolescent crisis center, good friends, and a boyfriend who is crazy about her. Emma met sexy freelance journalist David Webster at a dinner party. Romantic, free-spirited, and a perfect lover, David sweeps Emma off her feet. Now a baby is on the way. Emma expects David to say goodbye, but David enjoys surprises." At their beautiful, impromptu wedding at a historic
Andrea Corley
For a more in depth review, please visit my blog, Chorley Chroniclas, HERE!!

I have to start out by saying that I am absolutely appalled at the current rating of 3.53 (on Goodreads) of this book, because I thought that it was such a good book!!! This was my first read by Patricia MacDonald, but since finishing, I've already sought out other titles that I can pick up by her!

Bernadette Dunne is a fantastic narrator, and does this title all the justice in the world! She has such an easy listening
Melissa
Mar 10, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Mystery about a quick marriage and murder attempt. Pretty surprising book.
Kat
Apr 14, 2016 Kat rated it it was amazing
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Twenty-six-year-old Emma Hollis has it all -- a fortune she inherited from her father, a job she loves as a counselor at an adolescent crisis center, good friends, and a boyfriend who is crazy about her. Emma met sexy freelance journalist David Webster at a dinner party. Romantic, free-spirited, and a perfect lover, David sweeps Emma off her feet. Now a baby is on the way. Emma expects David to say goodbye, but David enjoys surprises.

At their beautiful, impromptu wedding at a historic in
Frances Koziar
May 04, 2016 Frances Koziar rated it it was ok
This is a decent book. I was entertained throughout, after the first chapter. I personally had problems with the main character's personality, in not sticking up for herself etc, but otherwise I enjoyed the book. It's not, however, a book to read more than once or rave about. Short and sweet and easily forgotten. If you're interested, then go for it. It's not scary.
Mary Lou Dyer
Apr 02, 2016 Mary Lou Dyer rated it it was amazing
I have found a new author!! I had not read anythingby Patricia MacDonald and I loved this book! It definatelykept my interest and made me want to keep reading. Thought I had it figured out a few times but was way wrong. I love it when I can't figure them out! Can't wait to read more from this author!!
Cassie Crudo
Aug 13, 2014 Cassie Crudo rated it really liked it
This is not my typical choice for a read but it was what my friends call a good "brain candy book." The characters were not as developed as I like, but it had some surprising twists and turns.

Overall- it was a breeze and a decent story, but nothing to rave about.
Clyde Hutto
Apr 09, 2014 Clyde Hutto rated it liked it
This was a good and very quick read. I have read most of this author's books and my biggest complaint is they start out really good and the pace moves along nicely and then toward the end as the resolution starts, things just go off in a weird direction and the culprit and reason for whatever happened are just really strange sometimes. But still overall and enjoyable read.
Cècilia
Dec 21, 2015 Cècilia rated it really liked it
Quoi dire ...
Alors je suis désoler pour cette note car je l'ai était à la fin de ce thriller .
Pourquoi ? Tout simplement que l'auteur commence avec une histoire qui nous fait tourner en rond puis on ce retrouve perdu dans les émotions est honnêtement j'ai eu du mal à le finir .
Mon doute pour la fin était juste .
Dommage parce-que le style d’écriture ai bien dans le sens et l histoire tient la route met pourquoi autant de personnages et de bric à brac pour en arriver là et perdu en tant que lecteu
Gina
Jun 23, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it
This was a definite suspense novel. I had no idea it would go the way it did. What a story! I keep thinking one person did it and it was another person that I didn't even know was in the picture. This was a good read and very suspenseful. It keep me guessing until the very end.
Sayaka Wayne
Jun 09, 2014 Sayaka Wayne rated it liked it
This book was fun overall. It started out really good but then started to drag a little. I really wished the resolution part was better. I finished reading by wondering about quite a few things.
Wendy Schlegel
story was predictable but kept my interest and had a few twists,
Joy
Jun 11, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it
A can't put it down book!
Angie
Barbara Bryan
Jan 27, 2013 Barbara Bryan rated it did not like it
Lynn
Dec 13, 2009 Lynn rated it liked it
I have long been a fan of Patricia MacDonald. She writes an interesting plot and, typically, I cannot figure out the ending before she wants me to. This is a pretty good book although it did not seem "fleshed out" enough in some ways. There were also a couple of things that it did not seem to fully resolve by the end of the book. However, on the whole, it did hold my attention.
Ally Marie
Jul 23, 2011 Ally Marie rated it liked it
Recommended to Ally Marie by: The Reading Cove Book Club ❦
Shelves: book-club
This is the second book I have read by this author. I really enjoyed the twist at the end of the story. There were more characters that I disliked in this book than liked which made me give it a lower rating. This was a fast paced story full of suspense. I did disagree with a decision made by a character in the last few pages...
Marie Elena
Dec 28, 2008 Marie Elena rated it it was ok
Not what I usually read, but this one was suspensful and the characters were really well thought out. I liked all of the characters (until the surprising twists) and didn't want any of them to be responsible for the vicious attacks, but I knew one of them had to be. I thought I had it figured out, but I was totally wrong!
Angel
Aug 23, 2008 Angel rated it it was ok
Seriously? This book was fine at first - just your normal whodunit... but it lacked depth and insight. I kept hoping for a real surprise ending - and although I didn't figure it out, it was only because it was so extremely far-fetched. It was tied into a nice package at the end, however it isn't the gift that I wanted.
Glenda L
Jul 27, 2011 Glenda L rated it liked it
A whirlwind romance, a wedding and now marital bliss ... Emma feels blessed. Her goodlooking husband clearly adores her. But then she becomes the victim of a terrifying attack, and the nightmare begins. The police suspect her husband ... Why? He's the last person on earth who would try to kill her ... isn't he?
Michelle
Aug 31, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mary higgins clark fans
This was your typical mystery. It was kind of corny with the names and the love story part of it and you thought you had the outcome all figured out. I admit that I had it figured wrong. I can't say any more than that.

This is definitely a Mary Higgins Clark type novel.
Kelly
Nov 18, 2009 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, didnt-finish
Okay, I read to page 75 before skipping to the end to see who the "villian" was. The writing lacked in skill and substance. The characters were very one-dimensional. Maybe it was just hitting on my own personal pet peeves, but I didn't care for it.
Kelly Crosgrove Sullivan Bredon
I'm not big on murder mysteries, but this was a fast read, easy to connect the dots and kept my attention. It did get far-fetched towards the end but I had to finish it to find who the crazed killer was!

I would read more books by this author.
Lauriel
Sep 22, 2010 Lauriel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was alright. Nothing special, part of a reader's digest selection of mystery novels. If it hadn't been part of that collection, I never would have picked it up. Nothing special to recommend about it.
  • Dying Scream
  • The Buried (The Apostles, #2)
  • The Magdalena Curse
  • El prisionero enmascarado
  • The Great Betrayal
  • In Absentia
  • Thunder Creek (Thunder Creek #1)
  • The Anomaly
  • Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1)
  • Idiot!
  • Love You to Death
  • The Perfect Husband/The Other Daughter
  • La Mémoire des murs
  • Kingdom Come (Elizabeth Harris Mystery #1)
  • From Cape Town with Love (Tennyson Hardwick, #3)
  • Silent Killer (Griffin Powell, #10)
  • Superstition
  • Deep Down

Patricia MacDonald is the author of several psychological suspense novels set in small towns. MacDonald grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut and has a master's degree from Boston College. Before writing her own novels she was a book editor and was once an editor for a soap opera magazine in New York. She is marri
More about Patricia MacDonald...