The Maze

The Maze

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  519 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Just fourteen, Rick Walder is alone, on the run, and desperate. Stowing away in the back of a truck, he suddenly finds himself at a dead end, out in the middle of nowhere. The Maze. In this surreal landscape of stark redrock spires and deep sandstone canyons, Rick stumbles into the remote camp of Lon Perigrino, a bird biologist who is realeasing fledgling California condor...more
Published August 1st 1999 by HarperCollins (first published 1998)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHoles by Louis SacharEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  Prince
Best Books for Teen Boys
313th out of 979 books — 1,064 voters
Out of the Box Regifted by Jennifer TheriotConfessions of a Sex Addict by Jinni JamesThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsSeptember Ends by Hunter S. JonesMateguas Island by Linda  Watkins
Summer Must Reads
379th out of 385 books — 297 voters

More lists with this book...

Kris
Recommended for gr. 6-12. This is my all-time favorite Will Hobbs book. I love his descriptions of the Maze (in Canyonlands National Park), the condors and hang-gliding. It makes me want to fly myself! The story deals with Rick, a troubled 14-year-old on the run, who ends up in the camp of Lon Peregrino, a condor scientist in the Maze. The two loners find themselves with much in common, working their way from suspicion to acceptance to trust, while dealing with bad guys and nature. A great read,...more
Mike Mcdaniel
Justyn
After reading some Will Hobbs books in the past, I thought I would've enjoyed this one as much as I did with the other books. But I couldn't love this one, yes Will Hobbs is one of my favorite authors I just didn't enjoy the book like I thought I would've. I enjoy reading books with a lot of action and mystery. The ones about survival or a journey across the country. Yes this book had some but it didn't really interest me as much as others.

I did enjoy the first several chapters of the book, whe...more
Jessica
I would recommend this book because of its adventurous nature, but not really for any other reason. It is not a bad book, exactly, but it is not a phenomenal book either. Rick’s character is really flat and unrealistic. He has no real character flaws, and Lon and he connect way too fast to be believable. It also seems too coincidental that Lon just happens to have an almost identical background to Rick’s. The ending also has some problems. Most of the book focuses on the conflict between Lon and...more
1srivastava_vikram
I thought this was a great book, mainly because Rick, alone and stranded, is what many teenagers can relate to. (although not nearly as extreme conditions) I thought it was brilliant how Will Hobbs put such an unbelievable yet amazing story in such a remote yet real place. At some parts, I didn't get the point of the story, but overall it was a great book! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes adventure, suspense, and the environment/animals. Wonderful book!
Jeremiah
Lydia
My son's recommendation. So I read it to the girls. Definitely a good book...especially for guys. We especially enjoyed the descriptions of the Maze and rehabilitating the Condors. The book has a good message and just enough adventure.
Book Riot
The Maze, by Will Hobbs was very interesting. It was a story about a run away teen age boy, North American (California) Condors, the Maze section of the Canyon Lands National Park in Utah, hang gliding.It all comes together in a great adventure that most teen and preteen readers should love. And they'll get some real life information too.
Johnp
Feb 26, 2011 Johnp rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Will Hobbs crafts a nice story about a directionless teenage boy who gets called upon to make some tough decisions. We meet Rick, a teen who finds himself assigned to a juvenile detention center for 6 months. Just as the sentence appears to be up, something happens that makes him flee the center and take off on his own. He meets Lon, a person responsible for a condor program in the desert. What follows is a tale of danger, trust and narrow escapes. Overall, a great story.

If you like this, I wou...more
Jackie
I'm a sucker for a book about an angry, seemingly unreachable teen who just needs a chance and someone to listen. Action, mystery, and heart. A little bit for everyone. I really expected to not like this book. It seems sort of erringly marketed as an adventure/wilderness/survival book. I would instead market it as adventure/mystery.

I liked it -one of those that pulls ya right in. It was recommended to me by a boy in my class. As an adult, I can say it sort of hits you over the head with its them...more
Roni
This book made me care about Rick, Maverick, Lon, and the condors. It was a very great book. My only note is the cover looks cheesy.
Cody 8-1
Feb 27, 2008 Cody 8-1 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adventurous people
I really liked this book because it had a lot of adventure in it.
This book is about a kid named Rick. He is fourteen and gets into trouble for throwing rocks at a stop sign, and stealing cd's. He is sent to court where his punishment is six months in the toughest juvy camp in the southwest. While Rick is there, he plans how to escape. When he does, he hitches rides away ans ends up in Utah, where he meets a man dedicated to birds. While Rick is there, he learns that sometimes, you're just not go...more
Outdoorsy middle grades action lit with a beautiful setting and great conservation theme.
Robyn Simmons
Nov 26, 2008 Robyn Simmons rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: intermediate/m.s. readers
A troubled fourteen year old named Rick Walker is out in the world on his own. He ran away from a juvenile detention centerin Nevada to a red rock canyon in Utah. Here he stumbles upon a man who changes his life forever. Lon Peregrino shares his love for condor birds with Rick and encourges him to get his life back on the right track. This book could be used in a literature discussion activity. The students can perform a compare and contrast chart based on the growth of the main character Rick W...more
Rivkah
Dec 06, 2010 Rivkah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any one who likes studying animals
Shelves: awsome-books
MaJoR SpOiLeRs

This is about a person who is at a bad camp, a juvenile offenders camp. I think he doesn't belong there. Rick must think that to, because when a friend tells him he's on the beat-up list, he hit's the trail. He stoles away in a truck with two dead cows in the back.

He meets a scientist that is studying huge vultures that are almost extinct.

But what about the people who don't like Condors? What will they do? Surprise ending.

A very nice book.

Have fun with the dead calfs!

I wonder why...more
Nathan Cluff
I had loved the book even with the time that has passed since reading it. The pacing that it has was done fairly well, enough that the age it was intended for would be glued onto the page wanting to soak in each event in Rick's life. Rick, as a troubled teen was well done if the idea that he was much more than just a troubled teen, and his parents were the typical ones that cared too much. It made the book that much better though, with how the characters were done, and the point of view used by...more
Emily N
The maze is an excellent book if you are looking for inspiration, because Rick, the main character is struggling to find his way through the maze of his life. While hes doing that he meets Lon Perigrino and helps him too. My favorite part of this book is when Lon and Rick are in The Maze doing a reintroduction of the endangered speices of condors. The reason is because this is where you get to know the two characters...and the condors.
Dayna Smith
If you like Gary Paulsen, you will love Will Hobbs. Really good stories even girls would like, but his books especially appeal to boys. 14-year-old Rick is all alone and on the run. Hiding in the back of a pickup he suddenly finds himself in the middle of The Maze. Alone in the wilderness with a semi-friendly stranger, two meanies with a nasty pit bull, and six fledgling condors. A really good story although the ending is a little pat.
Sandra Strange
A foster child tries unsuccessfully to deal with his negative feelings after the grandmother who raises him dies. He is sent to a harsh detention center, but manages to escape and makes his way to Utah’s Canyonlands National Park and is sheltered by a reclusive naturalist who is employed to reintroduce condors into the wild. Good adventure (complete with bad guys and hang gliding) with a dynamically changing hero. Positive.
Meggen
The story deals with Rick, a troubled 14-year-old on the run, who ends up in the camp of a condor scientist named Lon. The two loners find themselves with much in common, working their way from suspicion to acceptance to trust, while dealing with bad guys and the wildness of nature. It is great to see Rick's transformation through Lon's encouragement and acceptance. A great read. Boys especially will enjoy this book.
7706Evan
This book was about a 14 year old, named Rick, who's grandma died, making him become an orphan. He's been sent to a juvenille detention center in Utah. He runs away to escape a beating, and starts to help a guy, Lon Peregrino, prepare condors for the wild.

I liked this book. It had a great story line, great characters, and written very good. Rick was a very interesting character. I think he could be a real person.
Jon Neville
I think that this was a very good book, i would definitly recommend this book to anyone who likes stories about adventure. The one thing that i did not like about this book was the setting. The story starts off with a very good plot, but i think when the story continues, the setting and the problem at hand becomes boring. But the book does eventually pick up again, and it becomes a great story.
Andres R
Rick is a orphan child who recently lost his grandmother due to a severe sickness . Rick was then sentenced to stay at the Blue Canyon Youth Detention Center for six months of probation . But Rick cannot stay enclosed in a cage forever so he plans an escape four and a half months into his probation at the facility . Rick then plans to hitchhike his way all the way back to Arizona .
Smarlin Esquea
Rick Walker ends up lost in the stark desert canyons of Utah, where he finds the camp of Lon Peregrino, a bird biologist who is working to re locate California Condors in the wild. In the process of working with the fledgling condors and exploring the stark canyon landscapes Rick comes to learn more about himself and realize that running away from his problems will not solve them.
Patrick
Maybe both of the Will Hobbs books I recently read deserve only 3 stars, but I just got caught up in his sympathetic teen protagonists with exciting hardships. This one combines interesting animal conservation and Utah scenery to the mix, and I just really enjoyed it. We’ve seen resettled California Condors in Marble Canyon in Arizona.
Danielle
previewing this book to use in my 6th grade science literacy class. I think it has a lot of twists and turns and a great adventure. I can see many of my students getting into this book. Refers many times to myth Icarus. The setting goes great with my geology topics and condors are excellent to talk about endangered species.
Dawn Blair
I met Will at a writers conference in Utah and loved his talks. I really didn't think I was going to like this book because it wasn't my "usual read." But I'd found Will to be such an entertaining person that I decided to give this a good try. I enjoyed this book more than say. Thanks Will!
Autumn
I'm a teenage girl and yea it's about a teen that's a rebel and is in trouble and all that stuff. I'm still reading it but, so far this book hasn't cought my interest whatsoever so far his is the most boring book I have ever read and would not recommend it... Sorry if u disagree
James Hill
I thought that this book was fun, filled with adventure, and very sad at times. I thought that the flying lessons and the condors really made a connection with the reader and the characters. I would really recommend this book to people who love adventure books.
Tiffany
This book was full of great lessons such as keeping a positive attitude and realizing that mistakes are not the end. But the subject matter of condors, hang gliding, and canyon exploring were not really interesting to me. Twelve year old boys, however, would love it.
  • The Gadget
  • The Cookcamp
  • Twisted Summer
  • Contents Under Pressure
  • Somewhere in the Darkness
  • Cryptid Hunters (Marty and Grace, #1)
  • Night of the Twisters
  • If the Witness Lied
  • The Dark Side of Nowhere
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Kidnapped
  • Bandit's Moon
WILL HOBBS is the author of seventeen novels for upper elementary, middle school and young adult readers, as well as two picture book stories. Seven of his novels, Bearstone, Downriver, The Big Wander, Beardance, Far North, The Maze, and Jason's Gold, were named Best Books for Young Adults by the American Library Association. ALA also named Far North and Downriver to their list of the 100 Best You...more
More about Will Hobbs...