Start by marking “Flight of Eagles” as Want to Read:
Flight of Eagles

Flight of Eagles (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter #3)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,355 ratings  ·  53 reviews
In the early days of World War II, nations were forced to choose sides in the epic battle that would change history forever. But for two brothers, fate had already made the choice. Separated as boys, Max and Harry Kelso have grown up to become ace fighter pilots --- Max with the German Luftwaffe and Harry in Britain's RAF. Now, the machinery of war has set in motion an int...more
Published July 1st 1999 by Berkley (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Flight of Eagles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of Eagles

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
235th out of 371 books — 66 voters
Catch-22 by Joseph HellerFlight of the Intruder by Stephen CoontsFlight of the Old Dog by Dale BrownFinal Flight by Stephen CoontsBomber by Len Deighton
Military Aviation Novels
32nd out of 43 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick Brett
This is a weak offering from an author who can do a lot better.

It is quite an old novel subject to a re-issue and is the tale of two fighter aces, twin brothers, who fight for the RAF and the Luftwaffe. By way of a backstory we see the separate stories of the two brothers knowing that eventually their paths will collide.

Surprisingly for Higgins, it is simplistic and lacks any sort of tension. Not helped by a total lack of character for the two twins, they remain fairly blank canvases right to th...more
KOMET
While the novel was centered around an interesting premise of 2 brothers, both fighter pilots fighting on opposite sides in the Second World War, I felt as if it was a rush job. The characters were sketchily drawn and showed little depth. The one figure I found most appalling was an SS officer named Erich Hartmann (which was also the name of the top Luftwaffe fighter ace, who by all accounts, was a very principled man, having survived 10 years of Soviet imprisonment between 1945 and 1955), who c...more
Danny M
This Flight of the Eagles follows a similar theme of the previous novels written by Jack Higgins, such as The Eagle has Landed which sold over 50 million copies. The novel takes place during World War 2 and is about two brothers, both fliers, who fight on different sides. It is an easy novel to read and follow, and I found it very entertaining. There are some twists and turns, and I looked forward to reading the book, and once started found it difficult to put down. i read some of the other revi...more
Rickhow
I agree with a lot of the reviews written by others that were a bit critical that this wasn't up to par for a Jack Higgins work. It is one of his early works and his "rookieness" shows...but only in the beginning of the book. I found it a bit simple to start, but kept with it, and after about 80 pages or so it really started to hook me, and the writing skill got better and better and by the end I thought to myself "now this is the Jack Higgins we know". The book about twin brother pilots in WW2,...more
Kara Jorges
Jack Higgins tells the amazing story of Max and Harry Kelso, identical twin brothers of German-American descent. In World War I, their father, Jack Kelso, flew for the Royal British Flying Corps. He fell in love with his German nurse, Baroness Elsa Von Halder, while hospitalized after his plane was shot down, and married her and sent her to live with his father in the United States. She bore him twins Max and Harry, and after Jack’s death, she wanted to return to Germany with them. The boys’ gra...more
Tom Barnes

Identical twin boys and Tarquin – a stuffed bear.
Max and Harry Kelso were born in France just before the end of World War I and grew up in Boston. Tarquin, the mascot bear, belonged to the twin’s father, Jack Kelso, and had his initial flight with the World War I ace in a Bristol fighter. Tarquin, the good luck charm, was with Kelso on every subsequent flight until they were eventually shot down.
Jack Kelso was injured in the crash and hospitalized. During the time of his recuperation he fell in...more
Blake
In Flight of Eagles by Jack Higgins, Higgins uses action to attempt to entertain us readers. Higgins bounces back and forth using different narrator perspectives and leaving most of us confused and dissatisfied.
I overall hated this book as I was constantly confused over what was happening, why it was happening, and about the characters actions. For instance the two protagonists are near drowning and suffering hypothermia in the middle of the ocean but instead of trying to save their own lives...more
Suzanne Moore
Jack Higgins tells a good story! Harry and Max Kelso, “brothers in arms,” find themselves on opposing sides during WWII. The story begins when they are separated as young boys. When their father, an American fighter pilot, dies in a car cash, their mother, a German Baroness, wants to return to Europe with her sons… identical twins. Their grandfather doesn’t agree with her plan for the boys, but allows Max, the “oldest” twin to leave, as he is destined to become Baron one day.

Their father had a...more
Jennie
I am 1/3 of the way through and don't find myself caring very much about the main characters yet. Interesting story . . . I am assuming something will happen to make these Heroes more likeable.

Didn't really care about the characters. I don't care if my books are full of loveable characters but the book was just missing a lot of depth. I have a hard time buying the fact that these pilots didn't really care about the war or the side they were fighting for, all they cared about was flying, they wer...more
Geoff Nolan
Jan 12, 2013 Geoff Nolan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Flyers!
Recommended to Geoff by: My father
My rating and review of this book is completely subjective. I was on holidays in my late-teens when my father handed me the book and said, 'Read this.' So I read it. Being a teenager, I wasn't looking forward to the prospect. There were beaches to visit, fun to be had and new friends to be made. However, after the first page of Flight of Eagles. My friends had to wait..!

Flight of Eagles follows the paths of two brothers - twins, in fact - during World War II. Both of them are pilots. Both of the...more
Kristoffer Maron
This is a WWII story with jets and bombers and all but it the story of Harry and Max Kelso really brought tears to my eyes. Jack Higgins really touches my heart here.
Douglas
First Jack Higgins book I've ever read (bought at public library book sale for $1). I thought that the story line was believable and exciting. I will have to find more of his books to read.
Linda
When we hear about war stories with the theme of brother-against-brother, we usually think of the Civil War, but this is a World War II novel that is as suspense-full as Higgins has shown before that he can be. The brothers in this case are twins, Jack and Max Kelso, born of an American father and a German mother, raised in America until the older twin, Max, inherits a German title and returns to Germany with his mother. Both twins are pilots, and each eventually is known as a flying ace for the...more
Prakash Karunamoorthi
I was disappointed by reading first 50 pages but then it started to get better. gritty world war thriller and outstanding actions. can be made as a movie.
Mom
StoryTellerShannon
I'm a big fan of Higgin's works but this book is far below the quality of his usual output. If you've never read Higgins, don't do yourself a disservice by starting with this novel as he's written far better works. Try THE EAGLE HAS LANDED, SOLO, COLD HARBOUR, ANGEL OF DEATH and DRINK WITH THE DEVIL.

The main problem with this particular, outside of it being too predictable , is simply that too much of the story is put into narrative form. In other words, Higgins rushes through what happens in a...more
Lee
This book by Higgins follows the exploits of two German American twins separated when they were boys one who went back to Germany with his mother flies for the Luftwaffe the other who stayed in Boston with his grandfather flies for the RAF. It follows their exploits throughout the war until a twist of fate finds the allied brother captured in France. The Nazi’s opt to use his twin to attempt to assassinate General Eisenhower. Very similar plot to Cold Harbor okay read
Jan
Good action novel by Jack Higgins. Listened to half on the way back from vacation and finished it off on today's roadtrip.
Munish Kapoor
Interesting book. Kept me spell bound from start to finish even though the story seemed liked one of the canned Bollywood Dramas.....i am surprised this hasnt been made into a movie....lots of action, tragic heroes, WWII, i would love to watch it....and just enough of the sentimental stuff that you can take your wife to the movie and she may enjoy it.
Ronnie
Two brothers lost their dad and with the dream of flying one went to Germany and the other stayed in America. The brothers don't see each other for a long time. that is untill the war started. This is a really good book. You won't want to put it down after you got started. I recomend this book to everyone.
Tejka
I wanted to learn more about the real situation during the WW2. There was too much champagne drinking in this book when war was seriously developing. That is why this story did not appeal to me.
If there is a shread of truth in this, I would like to see someone else's story about the twins and their lives.
Sophie
Dec 17, 2012 Sophie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
So, right on the back of finishing The Book Thief I end up reading another war-themed novel.... In my defence it was a slow night at work and this was randomly lying on a shelf. Enjoyed it. Twin brothers separated in childhood, both becoming fighter pilots on opposite side of the war...
John
My first Jack Higgins book to read.....brilliant!!!

A real couldnt put the book down type of book. A fast paced book that takes the reader into combat over the skies of Europe during WW2 where twin brothers are on opposite sides.

Just read it and find out more for yourself.
Alfred Li
This book was okay. It has a big twist when the two brothers get seperated and have to face each other in World War II. It has a good stroy line, but is really long. I didn't have the attention span to read it all the way through, but the important parts were very good.
Chuck
A fairly predictable story about twin brothers; one of them is an ace with the RAF and the other is an ace with the Luftwaffe. I don't know why I keep going back to Higgins. He is not the writer he once was.
 Jed
Great true story about brotherhood and loyalty. I'm deeply interested in military history (particularly about the Second World War) and I have never heard anything like this before. Truly a amazing story.
Ron
Although it was an predictable ending, the story moved at a good interesting pace.

Best book quote: "We helped create the beast and now it threatens to devour us".
Kinda like the 2012 elections.
Naeem Ramatally
A tidy Bollywood-esque story about twin brothers fighting on opposite sides of World War Two. Plenty of action, but somewhat predictable.

Starts slowly, but picks up about a quarter in.
Joel
May 05, 2007 Joel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like war adventures, esp. fighter pilot stories
Classic Jack Higgins page turner. Tarquine the stuffed bear is a pretty flimsy glue to hold this story together though. Plus, is Tarquin truth or fiction? I was confused.
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • Secret Honor (Honor Bound, #3)
  • Brandenburg
  • Hornet Flight
  • War of the Rats
  • Day of Wrath
  • SS-GB
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • The Runner
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan...more
More about Jack Higgins...
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)