Start by marking “Flight of Eagles (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Flight of Eagles (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter, #3)

Flight of Eagles (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter #3)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,877 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
In the early days of World War II, nations were forced to choose sides in the epic battle that would change history forever. But for two brothers, fate had already made the choice. Separated as boys, Max and Harry Kelso have grown up to become ace fighter pilots --- Max with the German Luftwaffe and Harry in Britain's RAF. Now, the machinery of war has set in motion an int ...more
Published July 1st 1999 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published May 11th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Flight of Eagles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of Eagles

Nick Brett
Dec 19, 2011 Nick Brett rated it did not like it
This is a weak offering from an author who can do a lot better.

It is quite an old novel subject to a re-issue and is the tale of two fighter aces, twin brothers, who fight for the RAF and the Luftwaffe. By way of a backstory we see the separate stories of the two brothers knowing that eventually their paths will collide.

Surprisingly for Higgins, it is simplistic and lacks any sort of tension. Not helped by a total lack of character for the two twins, they remain fairly blank canvases right to th
KOMET
Aug 11, 2011 KOMET rated it did not like it
While the novel was centered around an interesting premise of 2 brothers, both fighter pilots fighting on opposite sides in the Second World War, I felt as if it was a rush job. The characters were sketchily drawn and showed little depth. The one figure I found most appalling was an SS officer named Erich Hartmann (which was also the name of the top Luftwaffe fighter ace, who by all accounts, was a very principled man, having survived 10 years of Soviet imprisonment between 1945 and 1955), who c ...more
Danny M
Aug 28, 2014 Danny M rated it it was amazing
This Flight of the Eagles follows a similar theme of the previous novels written by Jack Higgins, such as The Eagle has Landed which sold over 50 million copies. The novel takes place during World War 2 and is about two brothers, both fliers, who fight on different sides. It is an easy novel to read and follow, and I found it very entertaining. There are some twists and turns, and I looked forward to reading the book, and once started found it difficult to put down. i read some of the other revi ...more
Michael Fox
Apr 10, 2015 Michael Fox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I always enjoy a Jack Higgins novel. They are typically well researched and written. Several of his characters are among my favorites that I've read. This book was fast paced and fun. Couldn't wait to learn what happened next. The final twist in the epilogue put a smile on my face. Irony. Yet it was foreshadowed from the beginning. Would recommend this book to all who may enjoy WWII historical fiction.
Douglas
First Jack Higgins book I've ever read (bought at public library book sale for $1). I thought that the story line was believable and exciting. I will have to find more of his books to read.
Paul Melhuish
Jan 12, 2017 Paul Melhuish rated it really liked it
Another great little story from Mr Higgins,
Peter Charleston
Oct 04, 2016 Peter Charleston rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Those who enjoy well researched WW II stories would enjoy this book and the series.
Tom Barnes
Jan 19, 2009 Tom Barnes rated it really liked it

Identical twin boys and Tarquin – a stuffed bear.
Max and Harry Kelso were born in France just before the end of World War I and grew up in Boston. Tarquin, the mascot bear, belonged to the twin’s father, Jack Kelso, and had his initial flight with the World War I ace in a Bristol fighter. Tarquin, the good luck charm, was with Kelso on every subsequent flight until they were eventually shot down.
Jack Kelso was injured in the crash and hospitalized. During the time of his recuperation he fell in
Kara Jorges
Dec 18, 2012 Kara Jorges rated it really liked it
Jack Higgins tells the amazing story of Max and Harry Kelso, identical twin brothers of German-American descent. In World War I, their father, Jack Kelso, flew for the Royal British Flying Corps. He fell in love with his German nurse, Baroness Elsa Von Halder, while hospitalized after his plane was shot down, and married her and sent her to live with his father in the United States. She bore him twins Max and Harry, and after Jack’s death, she wanted to return to Germany with them. The boys’ gra ...more
Ryland Davidson
Dec 21, 2016 Ryland Davidson rated it liked it
The last book I read was Flight of Eagles by Jack Higgins. This book is about the Keslo brothers who moved to opposite sides of the world after their parents went through a messy divorce. Max moved to Germany and Harry to The United States. When war strikes the world they both unknowingly join the air forces of rival countries. Major characters in this book include Harry, Max, Zec, and Hartmann.
I really enjoyed the story line of this book. I found it very interesting and realistic. I liked it
Blake
Nov 07, 2012 Blake rated it did not like it
In Flight of Eagles by Jack Higgins, Higgins uses action to attempt to entertain us readers. Higgins bounces back and forth using different narrator perspectives and leaving most of us confused and dissatisfied.
I overall hated this book as I was constantly confused over what was happening, why it was happening, and about the characters actions. For instance the two protagonists are near drowning and suffering hypothermia in the middle of the ocean but instead of trying to save their own lives
Suzanne Moore
Jack Higgins tells a good story! Harry and Max Kelso, “brothers in arms,” find themselves on opposing sides during WWII. The story begins when they are separated as young boys. When their father, an American fighter pilot, dies in a car cash, their mother, a German Baroness, wants to return to Europe with her sons… identical twins. Their grandfather doesn’t agree with her plan for the boys, but allows Max, the “oldest” twin to leave, as he is destined to become Baron one day.

Their father had a
Geoff Nolan
Jan 04, 2013 Geoff Nolan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Flyers!
Recommended to Geoff by: My father
My rating and review of this book is completely subjective. I was on holidays in my late-teens when my father handed me the book and said, 'Read this.' So I read it. Being a teenager, I wasn't looking forward to the prospect. There were beaches to visit, fun to be had and new friends to be made. However, after the first page of Flight of Eagles. My friends had to wait..!

Flight of Eagles follows the paths of two brothers - twins, in fact - during World War II. Both of them are pilots. Both of the
Rickhow
Feb 11, 2014 Rickhow rated it really liked it
I agree with a lot of the reviews written by others that were a bit critical that this wasn't up to par for a Jack Higgins work. It is one of his early works and his "rookieness" shows...but only in the beginning of the book. I found it a bit simple to start, but kept with it, and after about 80 pages or so it really started to hook me, and the writing skill got better and better and by the end I thought to myself "now this is the Jack Higgins we know". The book about twin brother pilots in WW2, ...more
Jennie
May 15, 2009 Jennie rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I am 1/3 of the way through and don't find myself caring very much about the main characters yet. Interesting story . . . I am assuming something will happen to make these Heroes more likeable.

Didn't really care about the characters. I don't care if my books are full of loveable characters but the book was just missing a lot of depth. I have a hard time buying the fact that these pilots didn't really care about the war or the side they were fighting for, all they cared about was flying, they wer
Mike
Mar 21, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it
This was the 2nd book by Higgins centered around the Cold Harbour project during WWII I've read, and they have both been very entertaining. The war and history elements are done well, giving a good feel for the time, but his biggest strength is building out the characters who all have conflicting emotions and aren't just "for country first". This one has a time lapse part as starts and ends in close to present day, with an author essentially playing Higgins himself, who then writes the novel tha ...more
Mom
Jul 08, 2011 Mom rated it really liked it
Linda
Mar 29, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
When we hear about war stories with the theme of brother-against-brother, we usually think of the Civil War, but this is a World War II novel that is as suspense-full as Higgins has shown before that he can be. The brothers in this case are twins, Jack and Max Kelso, born of an American father and a German mother, raised in America until the older twin, Max, inherits a German title and returns to Germany with his mother. Both twins are pilots, and each eventually is known as a flying ace for the ...more
StoryTellerShannon
Nov 17, 2011 StoryTellerShannon rated it did not like it
I'm a big fan of Higgin's works but this book is far below the quality of his usual output. If you've never read Higgins, don't do yourself a disservice by starting with this novel as he's written far better works. Try THE EAGLE HAS LANDED, SOLO, COLD HARBOUR, ANGEL OF DEATH and DRINK WITH THE DEVIL.

The main problem with this particular, outside of it being too predictable , is simply that too much of the story is put into narrative form. In other words, Higgins rushes through what happens in a
Jairam Mohan
A good WW-II read which involves twin brothers flying on either side of the war and either side of the English Channel. With a congenital love for flying courtesy their figher pilot father, the twins develop an unadulterated love for flying so much so that one of them ends up being quite an invaluable asset to Nazi Germany and the Luftwaffe even though he doesn't agree either with their ideology nor Hitler's grand ambitions to conquer the world. Filled with love, action, intrigue and enough susp ...more
Lee
This book by Higgins follows the exploits of two German American twins separated when they were boys one who went back to Germany with his mother flies for the Luftwaffe the other who stayed in Boston with his grandfather flies for the RAF. It follows their exploits throughout the war until a twist of fate finds the allied brother captured in France. The Nazi’s opt to use his twin to attempt to assassinate General Eisenhower. Very similar plot to Cold Harbor okay read
Pearl
Aug 03, 2015 Pearl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so many war stories deal with the "glories" of war - Allies against the Gerries. But what about a situation in which identical twin brothers end up fighting with equal recognition for the opposite sides? This is what happens to Max von Halten and Harry Kelso, identical twin sons of a WW1 flying ace and a German baroness. And how a bear callwd Tarquin brings their stories to life. A real lesson in why war is indeed a terrible thing.
D1P3N
Jun 07, 2016 D1P3N rated it liked it
This was my first English novel and I guess I'll remember it for time to come. It was my first story with the backdrop of world war. Overall it was good experience. I know this is not in the list of classics, but it is good for passing time for people who love, war, world war, pilots, fighter pilots, etc.
Munish Kapoor
May 04, 2013 Munish Kapoor rated it really liked it
Interesting book. Kept me spell bound from start to finish even though the story seemed liked one of the canned Bollywood Dramas.....i am surprised this hasnt been made into a movie....lots of action, tragic heroes, WWII, i would love to watch it....and just enough of the sentimental stuff that you can take your wife to the movie and she may enjoy it.
Ronnie
Jan 19, 2009 Ronnie rated it it was amazing
Two brothers lost their dad and with the dream of flying one went to Germany and the other stayed in America. The brothers don't see each other for a long time. that is untill the war started. This is a really good book. You won't want to put it down after you got started. I recomend this book to everyone.
Tejka
Apr 03, 2010 Tejka rated it it was ok
I wanted to learn more about the real situation during the WW2. There was too much champagne drinking in this book when war was seriously developing. That is why this story did not appeal to me.
If there is a shread of truth in this, I would like to see someone else's story about the twins and their lives.
Anne
Feb 11, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
Separated at a young age, Max and Harry Kelso went their separate ways, Max with his mother to Germany and Harry who stayed in America with his father. Both were flying aces who ended up on opposite sides of the WWII conflict. This book really grabbed my attention as it kept you guessing right up until the end. Recommended.
John
Sep 01, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
My first Jack Higgins book to read.....brilliant!!!

A real couldnt put the book down type of book. A fast paced book that takes the reader into combat over the skies of Europe during WW2 where twin brothers are on opposite sides.

Just read it and find out more for yourself.
Alfred Li
Nov 04, 2010 Alfred Li rated it liked it
This book was okay. It has a big twist when the two brothers get seperated and have to face each other in World War II. It has a good stroy line, but is really long. I didn't have the attention span to read it all the way through, but the important parts were very good.
Sophie
Dec 17, 2012 Sophie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
So, right on the back of finishing The Book Thief I end up reading another war-themed novel.... In my defence it was a slow night at work and this was randomly lying on a shelf. Enjoyed it. Twin brothers separated in childhood, both becoming fighter pilots on opposite side of the war...
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • Brandenburg
  • The Fourth Order
  • Force 10 from Navarone
  • Death and Honor (Honor Bound, #4)
  • While Still We Live
  • Assassin (Kirk McGarvey #6)
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict, 2
  • Hornet Flight
  • Last Citadel
  • By Stealth (Tweed & Co. #9)
  • Alistair MacLean's Code Breaker
  • The Lamb and the Fuhrer: Jesus Talks with Hitler (Great Conversations)
  • Beautiful Assassin
  • Five Plays: Antigone, Eurydice, The Ermine, The Rehearsal, Romeo and Jeannette
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Dougal Munro and Jack Carter (3 books)
  • Night of the Fox (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter #1)
  • Cold Harbour (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter, #2)