Start by marking “The Patch” as Want to Read:
The Patch

The Patch

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The kids at school want to know why Becca is wearing glasses and a patch. Instead of telling them she has amblyopia, Becca leads her friends on imaginative adventures to explain her new fashion accessory. Mitch Vane's illustrations capture the spunky exuberance of this resourceful heroine.
Published February 1st 2007 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Patch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Patch

Tatiana
Even though she was tired, one of my tutoring students worked hard this morning on plurals. She applied rules (-es when the word ends in ch, s, sh, x, and sometimes z; drop the y and add -ies) and was mimicking the academic vocabulary I used. So I was happy to let her pick out a book for me to read to her, and of course she gravitated toward a story about a ballerina.

I'm getting too picky about children's books. This was a good story about embracing differences, but it wasn't great. It didn't 'b...more
Megan Renner
Headley, J. (2006). The patch. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.

The story is about a little ballerina named Becca that was at the doctors for a check up. They found out that she needs glasses, and needs to wear an eye patch to make one of her eyes as strong as the other one is. She did not like having to wear a patch, let alone glasses. The next morning she did not want to get out of bed until her brother offered to let her borrow his pirate costume (since she was wearing a patch). As soon as he of...more
Rachel Thomas
title: The Patch (picture)
author: Justina Chen Headley
Illustrator: Mitch Vane
Publisher: Charlesbridge Publishing
Date of publication: 2006
Summary: This story was cute. It is about a little 5 year old girl who has to go to the eye doctor for a check up because she is going into kindergarten. They find out she has an eye problem and she has to wear a patch on one of her eyes and has to get glasses. She is so scared of what everyone will think of her and is afraid to go to school. Her brother tries...more
babyhippoface
My mother, sister, niece, nephew, and daughter all had to wear an eye patch for amblyopia (lazy eye). I think they would've appreciated this book.

Becca is not happy about having to wear an eye patch. Her older brother starts her off on the right foot, though, when he offers her his prized pirate costume for school "just this once". And from that moment, Becca is determined to turn her patch into an adventure, even if she does hate it. Her attitude is so positive that her friends fall in step al...more
Ron
This book was picked by a 3 yr old and 4 yr old as one of the books that they wanted me to read. I don't usually log these books. However, this one dealt with a girl with had lazy eye and some of the stories she made up about having to wear an eye patch. It was interesting.
Andrea
This was a good book about needing glasses or an eye patch. Of course it is very specific to those children who are experiencing this... but it also offers some insight to those kids who don't have to experience this but have classmates or friends that will. It gives an opportunity for children and parents to talk about differences and how to deal with people, situations, or appearances that might not be what they see every day.
Christine Turner
At first upset about having to wear glasses and an eye patch to correct her lazy eye (Amblyopia), five-year-old Becca soon discovers that her new accessories allow her to take on such roles as a ballerina-pirate and a private eye.

Self-acceptance -- Juvenile fiction

Eyeglasses -- Juvenile fiction.

Schools -- Juvenile fiction
Jeanine
Feb 28, 2009 Jeanine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those that are girly, like me!
I liked this book, it reminded me of when I first had to have glasses, but unlike her I was fortunate enough to not have to wear a patch. I love how she is able to think of so many imaginative situations as to why you would wear a patch. It is very cute!
Caitlin
A humorous book about a little girl with an eye patch. It's bound to make both kids and adults smile. A good discussion starter about physical differences and bullying.
Crystal
A great story about how having the right attitude can get you through what can be, for children, traumatic situations.
Great illustrations helped the story along.
Katterley
I love this cute story that would help anyone getting a therapy that is physically obvious, or is recovering from something and has to face classmates.
Jessica
Braden loves the fact that she takes the fact that she has to wear glasses and a patch and turns it into a different type of character.
Erin ~ (It's October, time for creepy books)
Really cute for young kids. The animations that go with it with the library are fun for kiddies also.
Miri
Great way to show kids how to make the best of something they're not happy about.
Verna Seal
LOVE LOVE LOVE
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Shantyl
Shantyl marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Sanch
Sanch marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Ivan Kolev
Ivan Kolev marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
190922
Justina Chen is an award-winning novelist for young adults whose most recent book, A BLIND SPOT FOR BOYS, is a Booklist Top 10 Romances for Youth. North of Beautiful was named to the Best Books of 2009 lists by Kirkus Reviews and Barnes & Noble. Her other novels include Return to Me, Girl Overboard (a Junior Library Guild premiere selections) and Nothing but the Truth (and a few white lies), w...more
More about Justina Chen...
North of Beautiful Girl Overboard Nothing But the Truth [and a few white lies] Return to Me A Blind Spot for Boys