Start by marking “Principles of Anatomy and Physiology” as Want to Read:
Principles of Anatomy and Physiology

Principles of Anatomy and Physiology

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  540 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The eleventh edition of Principles of Anatomy and Physiology marks a new milestone in the publication of the phenomenally successful Principles of Anatomy and Physiology. Bryan Derrickson of Valencia Community College in Orlando, Florida joins Jerry Tortora as a co-author, bringing his background and expertise in physiology in balance with Jerry's focus on anatomy. The aut ...more
Published April 26th 2005 by Wiley (first published July 7th 1942)

Rambles Corbeau
I would not normally add a textbook to my booklist, but this one is a little different. I spent two years with this book. I lugged it around everywhere in my backpack to the point where this book actually had a physical impact on my body. I spent so many hours reading, making notes and translating the information in the book into my mind and because of this I feel such an intimate connection to this book it wouldn't be right to leave it off my list. It taught me a lot.
Like a previous reviewer, Rachael M. Thomas, I too purchased this book from Amazon, but it didn't come with a CD. I believe I bought it about the same time she did (assuming she purchased it around the time she wrote her review in April '09). It's the latest edition (12th). Brand new. Yet no CD. I mean, it has a little CD pouch or holder inside the front book cover, as if a CD should be inside of it. The pouch is shaped perfectly to hold a CD. But no CD. Weird.

Still, I'm very happy with the purc
This is one of my all-time favorite texts, and I refer to it often. As a matter of fact, I keep it under my desk since it's just the right height for my raised chair, and I imagine all that material is seeping through the soles of my feet while I'm studying other things.
Some days I would rather poke my eyes out than read this book. But alas, I have no choice. It is a pretty good book. A decent amount of information but for the love of GOD it weighs like 10lbs easy! This book needs a diet.
I love this text. Have the 8th edition. Probably my most referred to book.
Keith Kendall
I really enjoyed the Anatomy and Physiology class this spring (2013), and imagined that I would read the other half of the book. In real life I’ve only read a couple of additional chapters. So, it’s time to mark it as read.

It was fascinating to get into the details, so even though my company provided a textbook for the semester, I bought a copy to mark it up and continue to study. That was a good choice since I still refer to it.

I especially like the part at the end of each chapter, which desc
This was the most expensive book for College I ever bought, so I knew from that day I would keep this book forever. Little did I know how handy this book would continue to be after my class! I still use it all the time.
Jobel Mindac
This is one of my subject this summer class so i need to read about this.
Mar 10, 2014 Anas marked it as to-read
it a wonderfull book about anatomy
Sencillito y cooperando.
Apr 25, 2014 Gaurav is currently reading it
Jared Busch
Good fucking God almighty up on the mountain, it's over. I can't really say how this book compares to other A & P books - but I must say it is rather inconsistent about how clearly it explains certain processes. The way it describes mitosis & meiosis was VERY insufficient - thank God I could find a video on youtube that explained it more clearly. The animations on the CD-ROM that accompany the book were very helpful, as well as the lab manual, but if I had been left with just this book - ...more
Phenomenal. Well written. Excellent graphics. So tastefully done that it has about the only photographs of dissected bodies that I can view and feel fascinated rather than nauseated. The only thing they need to work on is getting the graphics on the same page as the text they expand upon. Once this is done this book will be on par with the fifth reference edition of the _Molecular Biology of the Cell_ by Alberts in terms of greatness.
I'm using this book for my Anatomy and Physiology class and as far as text books go this one is pretty good. I find it informative, easy to use and interesting. Also I appreciate all the anecdotes that relate it to real life and current clinical practices. The only down side is that holy crow this book is heavy. Lugging it around is akin to a work out. Which now that I think of it, might not be a bad thing ;)
Oct 29, 2008 Cynthia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cynthia by: Bio 301/302
I'm fond of this, for a textbook. Anatomy and physiology is often fascinating, and this book is well illustrated and clear. Not too technical, but instructive. Figures are in depth and tell a big story oftentimes. I like the yoga edition's cover better though.
Well, I guess I read the majority of this book. We didn't have to read every single chapter, but pretty close.

I am sure I will also be referring to this text during my Advanced Physiology course this summer, so it is not really finished yet either.
Nous avons passé à travers ce livre la 1ere année en cours de massothérapie. Intéressant et surprenant de voir comment le corps humain fonctionne. C'est sure j'en ai oublié des tits boutte après 4ans mais je m'y réfère en cas de besoin.
yah, dibandingkan buku fisiologi lain, tampilan tortora lebih menarik. Isinya juga bagus, ditambah ilustrasi yang membantu manusia DDR seperti saya (DDR-Daya Dong Rendah. Dong=understanding something).
Aug 04, 2008 Deb is currently reading it
Oh, this one's a BLAST! Actually, I like it. It just would be nice to be able to fully absorb the info instead of trying to meet deadlines and cram for the tests.
This is an amazing reference actually, the illustrations speak for themselves, they reveal a pig picture.

The text is concise and clear.

I really like it.
Rohan Candesartan
yo this is weak. two volumes of neither-here-nor-there bullshit.

if this is enough depth for you, then you aren't science enough for me. out.
May 27, 2013 M added it
Excellent and easy to understand. Would highly recommend to those for reference, as weel as, anyone wanting to know how the human body works.
Jessica Barrientos
It's pretty much the chemistry applied to anatomy. Or as my teacher referred to it, the chemistry of anatomy. Again very interesting.
One of those college texts you just hang onto for reference. Nice work and a great introduction to the subject.
Jenm Mooney Michels
This will be taking up my reading time for a while, about 10 weeks or so : )
So much information. Had to use a human anatomy book for vet tech school.
Hanan A.S.
Best Anatomy and Physiology book ever. I owe the authors..Big time!

By far my favourite A&P book - beautiful.
Jul 22, 2010 Srinivas marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition