Strength Training Anatomy

Strength Training Anatomy

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  933 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Discover for yourself the magic of "Strength Training Anatomy," one of the best-selling strength training books ever published!

Get an intricate look at strength training from the inside out. "Strength Training Anatomy," with over 850,000 copies already sold, brings anatomy to life with more than 400 full-color illustrations. This detailed artwork showcases the muscles used...more
Published October 26th 2005 by Human Kinetics Publishers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Strength Training Anatomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strength Training Anatomy

Smeg
An amazing reference book for strength training. Got a body part or section of that just won't bulk up or strengthen. This is the book/series for you. Not only do the illustrations provide in-depth yet simple information as to the function of specific muscles in the most common exercises in the gym, but also details the correct method of performing the exercise. Whether you are just starting a gym program for the first time or a seasoned professional this book (& #2) are the ultimate referen...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
When I decided to brush up on weight training I got several books out of the library including this one and the one written by Delavier for women. This book was the best and I wouldn't even consider the one for women because some fool forgot to put arm exercises in that one!

This book show several different exercises using free weights or gym style weight machines for each muscle group. There are fabulous drawings of the muscles on various parts of the body, descriptions of how to slightly modif...more
Shawn Mccarthy
Great reference for someone just getting started and looking for visual explanation of how to perform many of the common freeweight (and machine resistance) exercises. The title might be a slight misnomer as it focuses more on isolation movements that build size vs. compound movements that more efficiently improve overall strength, but that's my only real complaint. Actually, one of two: there are no females shown performing any of the exercises. Presumably the author saved those for the women's...more
Mario Tomic
Amazing book for anyone involved with weight lifting. The illustrations are super simple yet have everything you need to know about the most important exercises. This is essential reading no matter if you're a beginner or advanced lifter and will help you develop a deeper understanding how your body works. Highly recommended!
Henry
This book demonstrates some of the basic exercises used for strength training and for building muscle mass. Each exercise includes a beautiful drawing showing the muscles worked. A side bar explains the exercise. Variations to some exercises are included, plus warnings as to what to avoid to keep good form. The main focus of the book though is the beautiful illustrations. It doesn't include workouts or any other information. All and all, a great addition to every fitness enthusiast collection.
Jayalchemist
Not counting the Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding, which I've bought both in a physical book and kindle, this book in my opinion is numbers one to a bodybuilder's best-friend when it regards the knowledge of how the body works. This book helps one understand why an exercise movement may help developed that particular muscle, as well as the correct form in which that exercise is executed. It also names the muscles individually, which in tern gives more of that mind muscle connec...more
Andy
Found a book about lifting weights that I really liked. Each page is dominated by a drawing of the body, and each muscle is labeled. Very cool. Each exercise is explained in the simplest of terms in combination with a smaller picture showing the muscle contracted and in a state of rest.

You could learn to draw using this book, or you could, like, lift weights.
Kevin
Nov 30, 2007 Kevin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Artists and those interested in good Physical Fitness
This book is part of a series of books that give great detailed information on proper physical fitness, as well as the anatomical structure of muscles.

I suggest all artists and anyone interested in physical fitness to have this on their shelves.
Tami
Sometimes, I get frustrated when exercising. I know that a little strength training is supposed to be good for my bones while promoting weight loss. Unfortunately, I usually only have half a clue about what I'm doing. Thus, much of my workout is spent worrying whether I'm doing the movements correctly, hoping I don't hurt myself, and wishing I had a personal trainer to tell me what to do.

Strength Training Anatomy is definitely a better alternative. This book includes 15 different strength train...more
Clayton
The most important book for me in getting started weightlifting at the start of 2014. Understanding what muscle groups exercises actually affect. I used this book develop my M-F workout routine. Since then I have found other exercises outside of the book to get me to switch up the exercises I do. This was the most basic/simple supplemental book related to how to do shit at the gym. to biceps up to this book
Jess
After reading Strength Training Anatomy and putting it on the shelf, I find I still refer to it periodically when I consider form and what I’m trying to accomplish with weights and movement. The book covers traditional weightlifting and mentions common injuries and how to have correct form. I own a couple of books on these subjects but find I look at this one most. The illustrations are decent and clarify what lies under the skin. When I was starting strength training with weights, I found it to...more
Jessica Austin
Excellent illustrations. Lots of info on stretches, modifications for different morphology, and mechanics of injuries. However, it's not a particularly good source on *how* to complete an exercise.
William Vysniauskas
Found it very helpful in my bodybuilding training, back in those days. I believe this book is a must for anyone, who wishes to be in strength training game.
Mikko
An excellent reference book for anyone going to the gym even semi-regularly. The drawings are simply amazing, illustrating brilliantly which muscles each movement and variation works. The writing is quite terse but this isn't a shortfall as the text is there mostly just to supplement the drawings. There are a few longer pieces; I especially liked "Adapting training to your morpholgy", which did a great job explaining why I always feel like I'l snap in half when squatting and what I can do to rem...more
Mimi
As a former art major AND recent weight trainee this is the THE book. I have performed about 80% of the exercises but it was totally revolutionary to me to see the muscles in action and at rest. It shows you how it looks over and under the skin. Also, important to me, it shoes the different muscle groups in action in free weight >< machines. color coding, short descriptions, VERY helpful form cautions and injury advice (how it looks over and under the skin.) The illustrations are fantastic...more
Bing Bing  Chang

If you are looking forward to go to the gym or being fit then you need a guide that show which target parts to pay attention to. Strength and Training Anatomy is the best book I know thus far that shows three dimensional graphical representation of work outs and 3D picture example of how to go about a work out.

Over 750 Million copies sold, this book is a leading source of strength training exercise.
Brandon
This is a fantastic and easy to use reference guide for someone who wants to learn more about some of the different movements you can do while strength training. The illustrations are clear and informative, plenty of quality information about the movements themselves, and an absolutely great reference guide for anybody interested in strength training.
Manofwaves
A must read for any weightlifter or body sculptor. Answers any questions one might have about muscle development by going into great detail about what exercises develop specific muscles. This book is very educational about how to correctly do sets, proper body posture and injury prevention. This book works for both male and female readers.
Âme
Karşılaştığım en başarılı spor anatomisi kitabı. Spor akademilerinde bile bu kadar donanımlı ve amaca yönelik bir kitabın derslerde okutulduğunu zannetmiyorum. Gerçi, spor akademilerinde herhangi bir şey okutulduğunu da zannetmiyorum ama neyse. Temel kas ve iskelet anatomisi konusunda (akademik olmayan kaynaklar içerisinde) rakipsiz bence.
Travis Callender
Brilliant Netter style anatomical depictions of main weight lifting moves. Enables the medically oriented, or simply detail oriented, to easily review the specific muscles and other anatomical structures used with each exercise. Includes tips on correct form, avoiding injury and explanations of common injuries.
Allan
Excellent reference for weightlifting exercises. Includes expertly drawn diagrams showing start and stop positions for many lifts, shows which muscles are targeted and gives helpful hints for each exercise. Also includes tips for how to stretch different muscle groups.
Foxthyme
Oh, I love anatomy, and I love books that show it well. Want to know what muscles are worked when you bench press? When you dead lift? This one shows you most excellently (sorry, just saw a show on Keanu Reeves and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure featured).
Ann
One of the finest, clearest, and most useful visual guides to strength training. A must for anyone learning how to lift. This edition is a bit old--I hope some of the outdated information has been fixed in the newest edition.
Blair Armstrong
found this book to be very comprehensive and valuable in its simplicity and clarity. Understanding how each muscle works and what is proper movement and form when pushing weights is what this book is all about.
Patrick
Excellent reference.
Ross Drew
An essential book for strength training in full color. Full page, muscle-exposed pictures for each exercise, split into muscle groups with additional pages covering common injuries.
Brian
Excellent look at weightlifting exercises, descriptions, how to's, and graphic representations of the actual muscles being worked. Nice workout bible.
Haytham Badawey
Excellent book. It shows every muscle in the human body, and how each of the common exercises affect the muscles. I keep this book as a reference.
Tarmo Tali
It's a great great book when you want to know what is going on when you actually lift weights. Plenty of good excercises and advice.
Brian
I bought this for a kinesiology class in college, and I've loved it ever since. Simple, well-written, amply illustrated. All you need.
  • Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training
  • The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding: The Bible of Bodybuilding, Fully Updated and Revised
  • Stretching
  • New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
  • Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?: Fitness Myths, Training Truths, and Other Surprising Discoveries from the Science of Exercise
  • The Triathlete's Training Bible
  • Bruce Lee: The Art of Expressing the Human Body
  • Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
  • The Naked Warrior: Master the Secrets of the Super-Strong - Using Bodyweight Exercises Only
  • The Anatomy Coloring Book
  • 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible Of Bodyweight Exercises For Men And Women
  • Lore of Running
  • The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy
  • Body by Science: A Research-Based Program for Strength Training, Body Building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week
Frédéric Delavier is a gifted artist with an exceptional knowledge of human anatomy. He studied morphology and anatomy for five years at the prestigious École des Beaux-Arts in Paris and studied dissection for three years at the Paris Faculté de Médecine.

The former editor in chief of the French magazine PowerMag, Delavier is currently a journalist for the French magazine Le Monde du Muscle and a c...more
More about Frédéric Delavier...
Women's Strength Training Anatomy Strength Training Anatomy Workout, The Delavier's Core Training Anatomy Delavier's Stretching Anatomy The Strength Training Anatomy Workout II

“To prevent the formation of fibrous scar tissue in the hamstrings, it is essential to reeducate the muscles as soon as possible. A week after a tear, you must perform gentle stretches for the back of the thighs. The goal is to stretch the injured muscles and especially to soften the scar so that it doesn't tear when you resume training.” 0 likes
“Tearing of the long head of the triceps occurs when the muscle is fatigued, most frequently after an improper warm-up.” 0 likes