Start by marking “Buffalo Tree” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Buffalo Tree

Adam Rapp

Buffalo Tree

Getting caught changed Sura's life.He's been shipped off to Hamstock, a juvenile detention center that's worse than most. At the Stock they don't try to keep juvies till they reform. They just keep guys till they feel like letting them go.

Sura and his patchmate, a kid named Coly Jo, look out for each other and try to evade the Stock's sadistic games. But things turn bad la
Published May 1st 2002 by Turtleback Books (first published March 31st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Buffalo Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffalo Tree

Jaemi
Jan 25, 2009 Jaemi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
I read this book because someone told me there was a hubub around it being banned. So I wanted to know why. Now that I've read it, I'm still not entirely sure why. It had some rather disturbing parts I suppose, though I've read true stories, like Sleepers, that had much more disturbing parts, and they were true. If it were required reading...I guess I can see why you might not want your child subjected to it. At the same time, between TV and Games and the web, there are plenty of worse or equal ...more
Ringo The Cat
Even at the age of 22 Rapp was mad talented.

This may not be his best work, but it already has some of the 'Rapp' hallmark signs, which will lead to some overpowering stuff later on in his career.

Longer review to follow.
Ann
May 31, 2010 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I don't think I've ever been so depressed by a book in my life. It left me feeling sad even though the ending is hopeful. Written in the first person, we root for thirteen year old Sura to survive his six months in a juvenile detention center, where cruelty is the norm.

Author Adam Rapp has a new play that just opened on Broadway called "The Metal Children", which deals with an author doing battle with a Midwest town that has banned his YA book. Connecting the dots, I decided to read "The Buffalo
Ana Zepeda
I enjoyed the book because it's about juveniles like us students in high school. But it was a good book. At first I didn't really get it but once I actually understood the story I really stared liking it. It was a work of art. Fantastic! I recommend it to all teen agers across the country to read this wonderful book. When I grow up I want to publish a book just like this one. I recommend this book to all students and young adults out there. I think the people at the juveniles detention center so ...more
Casey
Ugh. I HATED the voice. The use of "that" and "those" (not to mention "sexpole" and "lungwind") sent me into rage fits. It might be an authentic voice from somewhere, but I don't know where.

Which is really too bad, because it was a good story. The characters were fully fleshed out (In the case of Longneck, too fleshed out--he gave me the heebie jeebies), and the imagery was great. I just felt like the story got lost in a bunch of unnecessary (weird, unnatural-sounding) ornamentation.
Michael
Oct 30, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Novel based on a juvenile detention center and the sadistic games that are played inside by the juvies.
Stephen
Sura, Coly Jo and Long-neck are three unhappy boys serving time in a depressing juvenile detention center.

With all the unfamiliar terminology I was forever puzzling out what exactly was being said. (Not always successfully) I was also unsure for the longest time whether this was set in the US or the UK.

I've never been a big fan of prison stories but I didn't know going in that that's what this was. I'm not sure why it's recommended reading for reluctant readers but I've seen it listed as such.
Warren-Newport Public Library
A quick read that follows Sura during his six month stay at the Hamstock Juvenile detention center. Sura's patch mate is Coly Jo and the two become fast friends. Sura spends his time racing other juvies in foot races and avoiding Boo and Hodge, two vicious juvies that use threats and violence control the other juvies. Sura is a typical young man, day dreams about girls and misses life on the outside although he doesn't always have a clear reason for his actions, outside of loyalty and respect. A ...more
Amanda
Feb 18, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, incarceration
Wendy
This novel is about a young man who is trying to get through his time at juvy. The main character is Sura and he has to watch his cellmate experience all kinds of terrible things from being pummeled in a fight to having the contents of a toilet thrown on him. Although the stylised language of the young men in this facility makes the setting feel realistic a plot or believable character study is lacking here. As a reader I just didn't buy Sura's motivation to stay well-behaved was to avoid his ce ...more
Kenny Casanova
Feb 10, 2014 Kenny Casanova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adam Rapp brings us a really cool story about life in a reform school. The overall message is all about "playing the game" and "playing it right."

This is a perfect book for an alternative education read list and recommended for 11th & 12th grade high school students looking for something more today, more street-savy and real.
Josh Gnat
This was a fairly book. After being shipped to Hamstock, a juvenile detention center, two kids named Sura and Coly try to escape. They soon find them selves being chased. The thing that could have change was the unfortunate thing happens to Sura fiend. All in all, it was a pretty good book.
Caitlin
Jan 12, 2011 Caitlin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
In Rapp's defense, I only read two chapters of this book. In my defense, two chapters was all I needed. The inconsistent voice and overzealous use of slang, as well as a certain lack of grounding, conspired to make me dislike the story from the very beginning. I literally could not read on.
Renae Beam
Jan 30, 2015 Renae Beam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good, but some of the speech/dialect and slang it was written in was a tad confusing. Anyone know what time period this is supposed to be? 60s or 70s maybe but I'm not sure.
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
jtck
jtck rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Meaghan
Meaghan rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2007
Blake
Blake rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2010
jay
jay rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2009
Jim
Jim rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2008
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2010
Caraphernelia
Caraphernelia rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2008
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
David
David rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2008
Chris Walker
Chris Walker rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Samuel
Samuel rated it liked it
May 19, 2009
  • Destroy All Cars
  • African-American Poetry: An Anthology, 1773-1927
  • Three Plays: Involuntary Homicide / The Green Stockings / The Ghost is Here
  • The Ottoman Empire and Early Modern Europe
  • 50 Battles That Changed the World: The Conflicts That Most Influenced the Course of History
  • Thieves of Tyburn Square: Elizabeth Fry
  • The Silent Room
  • Awakening to Sunlight
  • Unbelievable: The Life, Death, and Afterlife of the Notorious B.I.G.
  • Shooting Star
  • The Blind Faith Hotel
  • Cosima
  • The Triumph Of Death
  • Saved By the Music
Adam Rapp says that when he was working on his chilling, compulsively readable young adult novel 33 SNOWFISH, he was haunted by several questions. Among them: "When we have nowhere to go, who do we turn to? Why are we sometimes drawn to those who are deeply troubled? How far do we have to run before we find new possibilities?"

At once harrowing and hypnotic, 33 SNOWFISH--which was nominated as a Be