Start by marking “Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #9)” as Want to Read:
Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #9)

Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  6,233 ratings  ·  148 reviews
Fear has never been so close...

New York Times bestselling author Kay Hooper returns with a relentless thriller that brings her readers face-to-face with fear itself. In this terrifying new novel, a psychic special agent finds herself caught up in a tangled web of secrets, lies... and evil.

Riley Crane woke up fully dressed, a gun under her pillow, and covered in blood. Even
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 29th 2007 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping with Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping with Fear

Wendy
I really liked the first two in the series, but this one was a disappointment. Just never really felt a connection to the characters or an interest it what was happening in the book.
Cee
Maybe this is better to other people, I found it rather boring.
JBradford
I do not recall that I ever read any of Kay Hooper’s books in the past. This one called to me as I stood in the library carrels with exactly one minute to go before the library closed; I had already found that there were no books by the author I was looking for, so I reached up and grabbed this one. Although there is absolutely nothing in the publisher’s text inside or outside to reveal it, except that there is a small banner at the bottom of the front cover saying it is a Bishop/Special Crimes ...more
Kheila
Kay Hooper ties crime, romance, and paranormal together in the Bishop/SCU series. This particular book is the third of a mini series that the Bishop/SCU series consists of. The main character, Riley Crane, is a clairvoyant FBI agent assigned to the Special Crimes Unit under Noah Bishop. She was called by a friend to investigate a series of crimes in Opal Island. The book begins with her waking up with amnesia and proceeds with her trying to figure out what happened to her, what is going on on Op ...more
Hyderali Shaikh
This was my first Kay Hooper book & after reading "The Second Lady" by Irving wallace I thought that this book will also give me some erotic nightmares. But I was wrong, the cover of the book imply so many things but there was nothing. I don't know anyting about Psychic & their abilities on what they can see or how they can hear but after reading this book I'm sure that my knowledge increased a bit.

The story is good nothing extraordinary, I finished it in a day or two. After reading fir
Glenn Harris
The first of this generally top-notch series that I've been displeased with. The main character is a psychic FBI agent who wakes up in the middle of an investigation with no memory of the past two weeks, no backup, and none of her usual psychic abilities. She then spends more than half the book basically stumbling around and bemoaning her inability to figure anything out. I'm sure this was intended to be a situation fraught with danger and suspense but, for this reader at least, it was fraught w ...more
Sheila Melo
Creepy and Confusing and Fabulous

SLEEPING WITH FEAR is an utterly confusing book and I loved it for that reason. The book mirror's the experiences of the lead character and thus a reader is kept in the dark the same way the main character is. I never had a handle on what was happening until the big reveal and that was amazing.

THE STORY: Riley Crane wakes up and realizes that she has no memory of the previous three weeks. She figures out that she has come to town to investigate some possible occu
Cindy

This was okay. I really thought I had it figured out early in the book and was completely wrong so that was good. I just had trouble connecting with the characters - I did listen to the audiobook so that may be the problem. The characters didn't seem very developed and the memory problems of the main character didn't help. I have not read any other books in this series so perhaps that is part of the issue as well.
Lisa
Honestly, I'm surprised Hooper is a bestselling author. Dreck. At each successive mention of a Powerbar I had the urge to throw the book across the room. I have one more from this series I picked up for a beach read. When that's finished I won't be reading anymore Hooper.
April Timmons
I read heavy academic material every day, so I like to be entertained when I read for fun. A serial killer, a psychic detective, mystery, romance...great fun. I look forward to reading others in the Bishop series.
Susan Thompson
Loved this book. Not only has the paranormal but Hooper adds in the occult as well. This mystery kept me on edge the whole time I was reading it. As Linda Howard says it kept me guessing "until the very end".
Sandy
I listened to the Audio version of this book. While I liked the begining of the story, by the fouth disk (about the twelfth chapter) I found the book got very repetitive and the story dragged.
Cristina Reyes
this was my first time reading any book Kay Hooper and it was actually good i had it feeling who the bad guy was but i was totally wrong. But Kay Hooper is now on my now to read shelve
Jeanna Read
I loved this book and must say it is my favorite in the series thus far. Kept me truly guessing and page turning. An enjoyable read for sure!
Shelly Gustin
Bummer I listened to it with a voice I couldn't stand..... May have been better if I'd read it....
Anita Truong
This is probably my favorite of the three Bishop/SCU -- Fear trilogy set. There is a lot more anticipatory “who dunnit?” going on in this book than there had been in the previous two. On top of that, I actually ended up feeling quite anxious for Riley to reclaim her lost memories and figure out what the heck was going on.

Riley Crane wakes up in a beach house on Opal Island, her arms and her clothes covered in dried blood and weeks of her memory lost. Upon contacting her boss, Noah Bishop, she le
Jennifer Wardrip
I, for one, love the Bishop/FBI SCU stories, and thought this book was an excellent addition to the series.

Riley Crane wakes up in bed at her rental cottage in Opal Island, only to realize she's covered in dried blood and has no memories of the last three weeks. Apparently, she was on the island to investigate supposed black magic/occult activities while claiming she was on vacation--but she has no recollection of that fact. She also doesn't remember that she's become romantically involved with
Ana T.
Maybe to compensate for the lack the romantic relationship in the previous book in this series, here the heroine knows that she is involved with someone right from the beginning. Unfortunately she doesn't know who that might be because she wakes up with amnesia and covered in blood.

After my complaints about the previous book I was a bit worried about starting this one. In Sleeping With Fear the SCU agent is a woman - Riley Crane. When the book starts she wakes up alone in her bed but covered in
Kristen
While its true that there is less of the demonstration of the psychic gifts in other Hooper books about the special crimes unit, but the story and the characters are strong enough that this is still a very enjoyable outing.

Riley's trauma at not having the use of her normal psychic gifts is written very realistically and sympathetically, especially because she doesn't let it stop her from investigating the murder. Riley is a strong independent character and you root for her because she perseveres
stephanie
i have to be perfectly honest - i have no idea what is going on with this trend of mixing thriller-crime stories with the paranormal. not that i have anything against the paranormal, it's just not what i usually sign up. and stupid Iris Johansen is mixing her two worlds, so i'll get paranormal AND eve duncan, forensic sculptor extraordinaire . . .

anyway. i liked riley. she was a strong, good character, though really, if i was suffering from amnesia and the first thing i realized was that i was
Wingsong
This is the fourth book by this author that I have read, and I liked them all. I find her knowledge on the subject of psychic ability enlightening and her characters are well defined. The story itself kept moving at a brisk pace, and she keeps you guessing as to who the perp is right to the end. I definitely will be looking for more of her books.
Leonard
Riley Crane is a special agent specializing in the occult. She wakes up with a gun under her pillow covered in blood that belongs to someone else, and she has no memory of what happened. This book is touched with flashbacks, taser strikes, memory losses, fear, and a lot of blood. I never got very interested and did not find it engaging.
~Megan~
It's been awhile since I've read a Bishop novel, and it turns out I've really missed them. There were a few duds in the series, but this book was a sure winner.

The whole premise was great -- imagine waking up covered in blood and finding out you'd lost three weeks worth of memories, including falling in love with your soulmate. Riley had to pretend nothing was wrong and try her best to find out exactly what happened to her. I loved Ash from the start and only grew to love him more. Their connec
CJ Reader
Perhaps intentional, the scattered way that Riley tries to recover her memory made it difficult to connect with the story. All the elements of her previous novels were there, but I kind of guessed the killer and the cryptic nature of the past element didn't work for me. I enjoyed it but I didn't feel as enthralled as I did in the first 8 books.
Kenzi
Another masterpiece!

Sleeping with fear will have you on the edge of your seat! It was the perfect mystery. You don't expect the rituals to be apart of the big picture but they are, and you don't expect to trust ash because he was related to price, but not in the way I had originally thought. Oh I always live the mysteries I never saw coming in my head! I was proved wrong. I would never have guessed Leah was the murderer, as Kay hooper wanted you to believe it was a man possessed by price. Wow. L
Louise
From back cover:

"Special Agent Riley Crane woke up in a beach cottage fully dressed, a gun under her pillow, and covered in blood. Even more frightening, she didn't remember what had happened the night before. She barely remembered anything about the previous three weeks. As the Special Crimes Unit expert on the occult, Riley had been sent to Opal Island by her enigmatic chief Noah Bishop to investigate reports of dangerous occult activity. But she's awoken to discover that she's got a sexy new
Antje
Sehr interessantes Buch. Befasst sich mit dem Okkulten und Übersinnlichen, ohne es ins Lächerliche zu ziehen. Das Ende kam sehr überraschend; ich hatte zwar auch eine Ahnung, aber mit dieser Auflösung habe ich dann doch nicht gerechnet. Vielleicht lese ich noch andere Bücher von Kay Cooper aus Ihrer Bishop-Reihe.
Marcia
Cathy Cusson
I think this 3rd installment of the Fear series is the best of the trio. I liked the character in this book the best and the story was the most exciting. Riley is my favorite of the Fear series characters.
  • On the Run
  • Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2)
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • At the Edge (Psychic Triplet Trilogy, #1)
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2)
  • Shiver (New Orleans #3)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...

Bishop/Special Crimes Unit (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1)
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #2)
  • Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #3)
  • Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #4)
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #6)
  • Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #7)
  • Chill of Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #8)
  • Blood Dreams (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #10)
  • Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11)
Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5) Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1) Blood Ties (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #12) Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #4) Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #7)

“But there had been secrets in the relationship, obviously, since she hadn't told him the truth about why she'd needed him to leave early the previous night. Unless he had known and was lying about that…

Don't borrow trouble, goddammit. He doesn't know you've lost your memory. So he isn't lying. About that, anyway. But something else is going on here. Because apparently you didn't tell him the truth about why you asked him to leave early, and you don't know why you failed to do that.

Then again, perhaps she really had only wanted time to herself, and the fact that something had obviously happened later on had been sheer coincidence.

Nah. She really didn't believe in coincidence.”
0 likes
“Where's my clairvoyance when I need it? Hell, where are any of my senses?” 0 likes