The Misted Cliffs (Lost Continent, #2)

The Misted Cliffs (Lost Continent #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  921 ratings  ·  37 reviews

Award-winning author Catherine Asaro, creator of The Skolian Empire returns to the world of Aronsdale, a place rich with magic and power.

One generation after war had nearly destroyed three nations, evil was returning. And only Mel Dawnfield's daring sacrifice could stop it . . .

The promise of peace rested on this young woman's noble vow: to marry Cobalt the Dark -- heir t

Published July 1st 2005 by Luna Books (first published 2005)

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderMagic Study by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderCast in Shadow by Michelle SagaraSea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
LUNA Books
15th out of 119 books — 133 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHis Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
Best Fantasy Books
162nd out of 810 books — 1,004 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Romantic fantasy is one of my favorite genres, and reading Catherine Asaro's THE MISTED CLIFFS, I was reminded of the reason why. Deposed kings, sword and sorcery, magic and spells, kings and queens, dark-hearted rulers and self-sacrificing princesses, all combine to make this story one of the best.

For Princess Melody Dawnfield, being the daughter of the current king of Harsdown means more than looking pretty and watching men vie for her hand in marriage. Trained as a mage and excellent swordsm...more
Kerry
The Misted Cliffs started off slow and I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. Especially sinced it started out with the resuce of the villain from the previous book in the series, by the man who the back blurb claimed would be the hero of this one. It also took a number of chapters for the main protagonists to ever meet each other.

However, once things got going, the book began to take off. Again, at first I was unsure as the hero and heroine seemed to be caught in a romance novel about the da...more
Diana
Gretchen
An enjoyable sequel to The Charmed Sphere, this follows Chime and Muller's daughter, Melody. I wish we could have seen Chime and Muller's transition to ruling Harsdown and the struggles they must have faced when bringing change, but that would have been a less-fluffy novel.

Mel is a likeable enough lead who is trapped into marrying Cobalt, the Midnight Prince, son of the would-be conqueror from the first book. Be prepared for a lot of romantic tropes. I was a little disappointed with her by the e...more
Jessi
Much like The Charmed Sphere, I found it difficult to put this book down. I loved seeing how the beloved characters in the first book aged and raised families. I would have liked to know more about Jarid and Iris though.

There were some definite differences between the two. The first thing I noticed was that the sex scenes were more graphic. It didn't bother me too much, but I can see how this could get out of hand if the author gets even bolder in the next books. At least there was nothing writt...more
Kelsie Beaudoin (The Bookworm)
The Misted Cliffs is even better than the first book in the series: The Charmed Sphere. It does start off a bit slow, but then the marriage between Cobalt and Mel happens and it is impossible to put the book down.

I really enjoyed Cobalt as a character. He is tortured, violent, and has the temper of a fire crab (HP reference ;P). But underneath his rough exterior he is gentle and smart, and when he falls in love with Mel she helps to mellow him out a bit. Their love is slow to grow, which made me...more
Julia
The Dawnfield family returns in this second book of magic and political conflict in the fictional land of Aronsdale. Chime and Muller's daughter Melody (Mel) has grown into a beautiful, headstrong young woman. To prevent an army from the neighboring Misted Cliffs from invading her homeland, she agrees to wed Cobalt Escar, son of Varquelle, ruler of the Misted Cliffs. Despite the cruelty and darkness in the Escar family, Mel is able to find a seed of good in Cobalt and begins to nurture it. Varqu...more
Angela
This is just the 2nd book in a series of currently 5books. Great continuance from The Charmed Sphere, you pick right up as if you had never left the story yet its several years later.
Loved it.
My favorite character so far has shown up in this book and since I've read the entire series, he still is my favorite. Cobalt is just so intense and goes from one extreme to the other. His love is almost deadly it's so extreme. I love him.
This was my Cobalt, Sam Horrigan
Photobucket
Marianne
Better than the first one.
Jean Tatro
Well paced, the story thankfully stands alone - I picked it up at a used book sale without knowing that it was the second in a series. I really enjoyed the shapes-and-colors based magic. My main criticism is that a major twist, on which a huge chunk of the plot was based, was foreshadowed far too early and felt so obvious to me that it drained a lot of suspense and made me frustrated with the characters. Otherwise - a good novel. I probably won't seek out the rest of the series, but I'd read the...more
Pam Frost Gorder
This review is for the audible version:

"A light, romantic read"
I'm slowly working my way through this series, in which certain people possess magical powers that are channeled through the geometric shapes around them. Each book is somewhat formulaic, but enjoyable, and I always find myself interested in the lives of the characters. The first few chapters always contain a lot of exposition, so that readers who missed the previous books will still be able to follow along.
Anna
I really loved this book. I enjoyed The Charmed Sphere, but The Misted Cliffs trumped it. I love a strong female lead. Mel followed her destiny, and although she was afraid, unsure, and alone, she didn’t let anyone to stop her. A great romance but yet it wasn’t cliché. I loved the fact that even though Mel came to love her husband, she wasn’t blinded by that love. She knew and battled his faults. Twists, turns, and intrigue. Can’t wait to read book 3!
Taggerung
The magic set up in this book is unique, and the character interaction is as well. It's not a complete love story, though that does play a big part in it and it isn't sickeningly romance-novel-ish. Time and distance seem a bit strange when it comes to traveling through this world though. It's an enjoyable book to escape into, with just enough fluff and emotion to make it interesting instead of overbearing.
Mary
I really liked this book, maybe I was overdue for a tortured hero story but even if I hadn't been, Mel's character is great. She's just so spunky.

(view spoiler)
Tara
While I quite liked the first book in this series, I loved this one. The move from regions where magic is appreciated to a region where it's feared and misunderstood was interesting. It's much sexier than the first, but its footing is much more firmly in the fantasy genre than the romance.
TFGamer
This whole series just lacks art and style in its delivery. I find myself very unsatisfied at the end of each book thus far. I probably wouldn't have even bothered with the second one unless I hadn't had it laying around.
Dinfinitely not going for number three.
Kerry
Aug 21, 2007 Kerry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like romantic fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
This book was a nice follow up to The Charmed Sphere. The ending was not as conclusive, and you knew there was going to be another book, but it was sweet. A very quick read and I definitely enjoyed it.
Jess
This was a great second book in the series (Although it could be read as a stand alone)! It kind of reminded me of the Arabian Nights at first. I can't wait to read the third!
Mum
Jun 26, 2008 Mum rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
What tickled my curiosity with is touch of fantasy with romance and a story line that enhance my imagination. I liked Catherine Asaro's writing, I would read more of her books.
Toks (at GalacticTidesx)
I didn't like the romance between Cobalt and Mel--a little bit too Beauty and the Beast for me but overall I enjoyed it a lot more than the first in the series.
Brenda Chan
The romance was all right, but the magic system was kind of lame. Colours and shapes, really? It was like something out of a children's show.
Kharm
I remember being disappointed this book didn't pick up right where the last one left off. That was many years ago. Re-reading is in order.
Steph
This had me hooked from the beginning, although I didn't realize that it's the second in the series, I have to get the first one now.
Mutant Supermodel
Totally predictable but still manages to have some fun. Excellent summer reading as it's cute and fluffy.
Leslie
was a good book , it just had some parts that were kind of dry but for the most part i liked it
Manda
one of my favourites! a warrior princess and an alpha male with magic and geometry
Stacy
When it comes to romantic fantasy, Catherine Asaro is one of my favorites!
Autumn Hanna
Not as good as the first but still an okay read.
Jarizza
Right dose of magic, romance, and conquest.
Shirin
Jan 07, 2011 Shirin added it
all the sequel to this story is great
  • The Destined Queen (Umbria, #2)
  • On Fire's Wings (Final Dance, #1)
  • Sorceress Of Faith (The Summoning, #2)
  • Gossamyr (Changelings, #2)
  • Princess of the Sword (Nine Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Barbed Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #2)
  • The Mountain's Call (White Magic, #1)
  • Under Camelot's Banner (The Paths to Camelot, #3)
  • Medair
  • Silver's Bane (Shadowlands #2)
  • Reader and Raelynx (Twelve Houses, #4)
  • The Summer Country (Summer Country, #1)
Blog at https://www.facebook.com/Catherine.As...

The author of more than twenty-five books, Catherine Asaro is acclaimed for her Ruby Dynasty series, which combines adventure, science, romance and fast-paced action. Her novel The Quantum Rose won the Nebula® Award, as did her novella “The Spacetime Pool.” Among her many other distinctions, she is a multiple winner of the AnLab from Analog magazine...more
More about Catherine Asaro...
Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1) The Charmed Sphere (Lost Continent, #1) The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #6) Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2) The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #3)