Epicenter

Epicenter

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  61 reviews
When Attorney McKenna Bradford enters the top floor of Lincoln Tower, she expects an uncomfortable business lunch with an unwelcome client - but she doesn't expect him to confess murder. And she certainly doesn't expect a massive earthquake to hit downtown Los Angeles, trapping her in a crumbling high-rise with a cold-blooded killer.

As McKenna struggles to elude her enemy...more
Published January 28th 2008 by Covenant Communications, Inc (first published 2008)

Nikki
I knew it was a bad sign when there was not a goodreads cover image available, but I listened to this book on cd anyway. I like a little distraction when I am cleaning the kitchen for the hundredth time of the day.

Epicenter was not one story, but the stories of several people and how they experienced a fictional 9.4 earthquake in a skyscraper in downtown LA. There was a rash of trendy, obnoxious names (Peyson, Lissa, Justice, Manuel), a few too many scenes where people were straining beyond the...more
Kathryn
This book was on the edge of your seat movie good. A must read. It centers in LA where an earthquake has hit and a building is callapsing down on the people still remaining. Its about people putting their own safety at risk to help someone else. It's a pregnant women giving birth in an elevator with cables about to collapse, its a would've been fiance telling the quy she loves that she broke it off with him because she has cancer, its about friendship turning to realized love, It's a killer on t...more
Shanda
WOW! I don't give out my 5 stars easily, but this book earned it. I felt like I was "watching" an action-packed movie. I didn't over-analyze or nit-pick little details, not that there was much to criticize in the first place, and I was taken on an intense thrill ride. Just make sure you have a few hours to dedicate to reading- you won't want to put this book down.
Hollie Robb
It took the hole book for one guy to die a slow agonizing death. She jest dragged his death on and on it It was agonizing for me to read. I think that she should have killed him off fast and quick and have it done with. I jest thought that the hole book was long.
Katie
Couldn't put it down...I had to find out what happened to the characters, thus I ended up reading it in one night. Loved the three different groups of characters that ended up intertwined. Had suspense, mystery, romance, drama, spirituality....
Vickie
This book was so intense, it kept me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't put it down. Sonia is my favorite author. She has written three books and each one gets more exciting.
Vickie
Leah
This book made me laugh, made me angry, made me happy, made me smile, made me hurry to finish it, and made me cry like a baby. I rarely find a book that does all of the above, well done.
I Loved how this book ended. It brough back evrything full circle. I even cried at the end, and not very many do that. It will stay with me for some time.
Leslie
Wow! That is all I have to say. This book was amazing! I couldn't put it down and ended up reading it in one day.

Jessica
Mediocre story, mediocre characters, ... a little boring when the storyline should be riveting.

Teri
Epicenter by Sonia O'Brien

This novel starts out with a thunderous, riveting roar!!! McKenna Bradford, Defense Attorney, meets an unwelcome business client for lunch in the top floor of the 40 floor Lincoln Tower. What shocks her is his confessing murder. What is even more frightening is all of Los Angeles is hit by a massive 9.5 earthquake and she's trapped with a cold-blooded killer. Can her best friend James and her father help to save her before the building crumbles?

Can Payson, Hunter and Ja...more
Casey
I really liked it! There was enough romance and suspense to keep me happy. The story is about an earthquake that happens in L.A. trapping several people in a high rise building who are now trying to find their way out before it collapses on them. There are actually 5 or 6 main characters so the story keeps switching back and forth between them, but it wasn't confusing. In fact I think that's what made it so suspenseful and entertaining. Each character struggles to deal with the aftershock of the...more
Annemarie
Apr 12, 2009 Annemarie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody
Shelves: favorites
I LOVED this book! I couldn't put it down. In fact, I couldn't take a break from it and read it all at once. It had so much action in it that it kept me on the edge of my seat. I didn't think that there were too many characters to keep track of, like many of my other "co-commenters" said. I think it helped to keep the story going and to keep you reading. It really was an intense book, just how I like them. The only little complaint I'd have would be the parts with the firefighters. It just seeme...more
Darla
(Genre:LDS fiction) This is a multi-story within a story that follows the lives of several individuals, some LDS and some not, who are all in downtown LA when a major earthquake hits and the building that they are in sustains heavy damage. It was okay and there were parts that I enjoyed. I did feel that the stories and their details were simplified somewhat and therefore not as believable. That may be due to my medical background, though. But I enjoyed the characters and it was fun to follow the...more
Lacey
I would give this story 2.5 stars. This story was just okay. It did make me nervous, because earthquakes really scare me. However, there were too many characters with too many stories going on. I have a hard time keeping things straight as it is. It seemed as though the book was really drawn out and long...I was mostly finishing it because I felt obligated too.

However, this is one of the only books that has made me cry. The last 3 pages is what made me cry. I won't spoil the book, but Hunter was...more
Jana (That Artsy Reader Girl)
This book is draining! It's pretty fast-paced with so much going on at once. It's heartbreaking, scary, sad, happy, romantic, tragic, and suspenseful all at the same time. My main complaint was that I did not really grow attached to any of the characters because there were so many. I had two favorites. One of them actually did not even make it to the end of the book and the other played a very small role until the end when he saved the day. I did like the book, but it was not my faovrite.
Cathi
I really enjoyed this book. It was fast-paced and very easy to read and follow. It starts out as a few individual stories but they all intersect before the end. Having never experienced an earthquake it was interesting to see how different people react to the situation and how it affected them long term. I couldn't put it down (which, as my buddies know, isn't unusual for me when it comes to books) and I found myself totally immersed in the book waiting to see what would happen next.
Rachael Dorronsoro
This was a really good book I had on my book shelf for a long time. It was really good following the lives of some people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time, but work together to stay alive. This author was amazing the way she followed each of their lives, there was lots of suspense a little mystery a few tears on my part and of course my favorite romance.
Lynn
Nice story with historical facts and incidents. The author does not like Russia or Russians. The author has a solid interpretation of the Bible......which I hope is not true. I began to pray for peace and mutual respect as I drummed thru this not-so-optimistic book of possible futuristic events. A great read.
Tracy
I really enjoyed this book! Despite the poorly researched legal side of it, the earthquake parts seemed authentic (however, I'm no seismologist). The characters were entertaining, the plot compelling, and of course, I had to read it all in one day. :)
Alisa
I thought this was a great book with a great story, but be warned before you read it: There are a lot of characters to keep up with. I thought all the different characters made it a little confusing to follow at times, but I really liked the core story!
Susan
Amazing and terrifying! I really felt that the situations in the story were very real. It also made me wonder about how I would actually react if I found myself in the middle of a devastating and destructive earthquake.
Rosemary
If you like suspense, with an LDS bent to it, this is a pretty good one. It was almost a little too much action for me--earthquakes, fires, falling elevators, being chased by a murderer one right after another.
Stefjo81
This is one of my favorite books!!! I'd gladly read it again. It will make you laugh and cry. What more could you ask from a book?? I don't give "5 Stars" away in a care free manner, this one is worth reading!!!
Mindy
Story is set in Los Angeles, and an earthquake happens - very gripping; keeps you reading to find out what happens! Makes me want to check/update my emergency preparedness stuff! :)
Jennifer Davis
This was a nice light easy read that was still suspensful. Must know common "mormon" talk to have a deeper understanding of things. Fun semi predictable clean light read.
McKenzie
Nov 27, 2009 McKenzie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to McKenzie by: celinda
i loved this book....it was sad in some parts but i really liked it. i loved the suspense and that the whole book takes place in 1 day. oh it's just the greatest!
Kimberly
I really liked this one. Kept me thinking about what I would do in an earthquake. Made me think alot about 9/11 and all the sacrifices made that day as well.
Katie Watkins
This book was really intense and I didn't want to put it down. The story follows three groups of people and I liked how the author tied them all together.
Rorie
This was an enjoyable book. There were a lot of characters but they weren't too hard to keep track of. It did make me have dreams about earthquakes though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »