The Street Bible

The Street Bible

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  21 reviews
For those who've never read the Bible and for those who've read it too much.Lacey's 'dangerously real' retelling of Scripture vividly demonstrates that the Bible is packed full of stories, poems, and images that resonate with the big issues of today. This fresh paraphrase-come-running-commentary brings the text alive: Bible stories are retold as mini blockbusters; psalms a...more
Published May 7th 2002 by Zondervan Publishing House

Greg
I have actually read through some of this book. The shelf title is misleading, but then so is this book.

In case if you don't know this book, it is The Bible, but not that stupid old dusty book your old man and that wench you call mom would read, but a hip, happening book that speaks the language of the kidz (Fact: Christians like putting Z's on things when they want it to look cool, or for kids. Do Christian kidz fall for this shit?), or at least kidz who have like to talk like a white-bred sub...more
Jenni
Oct 14, 2007 Jenni rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who have never read the bible, or who have read it too much.
Shelves: christianity
Great down-to-earth interpretation. Makes it so much easier to read the whole thing. Although the Bible can be so much more in depth, it's much easier to start from here, and then read parts of the real Bible if you want more on a particular chapter etc. People have to remember that the real bible is 66 different books!
Abi
This is a great interpretation of the Bible.
Janet
Loved this modern book.
Alyssia Cooke
Recently my vicar approached me with a favour to ask, and who can turn down the vicar!? What he needed was to find a Bible for the youth group which was easy to read and understand, but not too patronising, American or inaccurate and most definitely not too 'yoof'. And in this he gave me about 7 different Bibles and told me to go figure...hmm...so you can guess what you are going to be bored to tears with during the next few reviews...

===Boring Stuff===
Title: The Word on the Street
Author: Rob La...more
Fay
This book is a true masterpiece - Rob Lacey, I salute you!

The Bible has always been confusing/boring/annoying to me, and this translation really helped me.

It makes it new and fresh to a real degree, also with some humour. It helps me remember that the people in the seemingly unemotional book had feelings, and are very apparent in this book.

It also helped me with the books in general. Who wrote it? Why? To who? When?. I may be a little dim, but I didn't realise most of the New Testament are lette...more
Daycoder
I saw this on the shelf of a holiday home in West Wales a few years ago. Knowing the Bible enough to know that it's as much Westboro baptist as it is happy clappy Islington, I opened randomly to a few pages and found nothing contentious. Then I deliberately turned to the one of the more unpleasant books ... Leviticus, so see how that could possibly be made more urban friendly. It was one paragraph, in essence, "This is where God lays down some of the rules, but I don't want to bother you with th...more
Ime'... Imelda
I've read couple versions of bible, but this one has opened my eyes, thus i didn't stop reading this bible (on the bus, at work, everywhere). not all verses are there, only some of it. but the way Lacey 'express' it made me see things from the other side.

readable, not boring-able.

another point of view of a bible. written in slang-language made my imaginations expanded than ever :)

*writing this review has tickled me to read it again*

by the way, this bible is actually my birthday present on 2006....more
Gabriel Wallis
Dec 17, 2012 Gabriel Wallis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephanie Wallis
Shelves: 2012
I really enjoyed this version of the Bible. It was unique. And I'll probably read it again. Every time I read the Bible I try to grab a different version, and I landed on "the word on the street" this last time. I've owned it for a while and thought it was time to sit down and go through it. The story will always be the same, no matter the version... Jesus died on the cross for us... to save us from our sins! What an amazing truth! "the word on the street" gave me another view to look at. Same s...more
Frankie Reeves
I read this because I wanted to develop a better understanding of the Bible's content without trawling through a complete archaic volume. Although the way the book's worded seemed quite cringeworthy as it attempted to establish a new kind of slang for a modern audience (perhaps I was a little too old for it really..) and in this way became a little difficult to get through in itself, I definitely got some of what I set out to: discovery and further understanding of the Bible stories.
Kera Price
to tell you the truth i'm reading it like a bible,
Aug Dinash
I've really never liked to read the bible, but my sister gave this book to me.(When I declared that I'd never read anything like that, and that I wouldn't like it) And I ended up reading part of it one day. It made me laugh, and understand somethings more. My favorite book in it so far in Genesis, cause he tells about Adam and Eve exactly how I would see them reacting these days.
Sharyn
Presented the Bible in a new way I would not have thought possible. In the vernacular of the street. Not truly THE Bible,but interestingly presented. Purists will find this offense and I am not going to recommend this to anyone who does not have a strong understanding of the Bible already.
I loved this book! I love the way Rob Lacey made it so down to earth and interesting. It was like reading a story book. This book is great for people who want to read the Bible but can't understand the language!
Jessica
This was a great book! It kept my interest from the first page and I could not put it down! I am now looking for the cd because I would love to hear this awesome text read by the author, himself.
Rebecca
It's OK. It's good book to dip in and out of if you are looking for a modern take on the Bible, but aren't that interested in ever really reading the Bible. :-)
Heather
Gotta love a Brit who isn't too careful to use the word "squat" in his paraphrase of the Bible.
Nickpalumbo
Translates the Bible into common street language. I loved it!
Big Mike Lewis
Really cool interpretation of scripture.
Mhenryg
A great great Bible.
Jenn
Jenn added it
Jul 13, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Jaime
Jaime is currently reading it
May 25, 2014
The Liberator the word on the street Are We Getting Through?: A Resource Book For Creative Communication The Essential Word on the Street Christmas Presence