Start by marking “Lover's Hollow” as Want to Read:
Lover's Hollow
read excerpt* *Different edition

Lover's Hollow

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When Jo Devereux returns to Ireland after an absence of 20 years, the last thing she expects is to end up writing a family history.

Family pride has caused Jo nothing but heartbreak and loss but now, unearthing seventy-year old secrets of love and revenge in a time of war, and a killing that has haunted three generations, Jo begins to understand why.

In revealing some asto
Paperback, OOP
Published (first published January 1st 12)

To ask other readers questions about Lover's Hollow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lover's Hollow

Katherine
A wonderful book interweaving three different times in the Parle family, 1922, 1975, and 1995. A perfect blend of historical and contemporary fiction. Orna Ross masterfully reveals secrets and motives within the story and, for the first time, allowed me (Oh happy day!) to understand the Irish Civil War which had previously been a tangled muddle in my mind.

Superb writing with beautiful descriptive prose and a strong sense of place. The storytelling was so compelling I kept thinking just one more
Indiebrag
We are proud to announce that After the Rising is a 2012 B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree!
Amanda
I wrote out a nearly finished review and my computer ate it. Bullet points it is.

-Should be 3.5 stars. Not a 4.0 book.
-Jo's motivation in loving Rory escapes me.
-Jo's traumatic childhood evoked strong feelings in me. Esp. when she was bullied by her "friends."
-Really more interesting is her grandmother's story.

This book doesn't really answer the questions it started with. I know it has at least one more book in this series, but I feel like we should have gotten some sort of closure, even if it
Betty
Having recently discovered that my great-grandfather was born in Ireland in 1824, I am very determined to learn everything I can about Ireland and its history.

The writing in this book is literary in style and really quite beautiful. Phrases like "new memories hurt me in the remembering and the events of the past resist me, twist out from under my pen" tear at the heart.

The interweaving of the stories of Jo and Gramma Peg are very well handled but I wish there had been something about who Peg ma
Lisa
I won this on First Reads.

I take reading and reviewing books very seriously. Due to deaths and major family health issues, I have not been able to dedicate time or energy towards reading or reviewing. I do not want to do either half heartedly, so I will have to post this for now and will come back when things slow down. At that time I will update this with a proper review.
LindyLouMac
This novel was Orna Ross's début, originally published with the sequel as 'Lovers' Hollow' by Penguin in 2006. The title has recently been reissued by the author. It is the first time I have read anything by Orna Ross and I feel very guilty that it has taken me so long to read and review 'After The Rising' and the sequel 'Before The Fall' which I read immediately after this one, so will publish the reviews simultaneously. The author was kind enough to provide copies for My Kindle via Amazon a lo ...more
Dianne Ascroft
I enjoyed After The Rising immensely. From the opening pages I was drawn into the story and quickly became engrossed in it. Set in Ireland, in the present and also in the 1920s, it’s a modern and an historical fiction rolled into one.

I easily slipped into the modern thread of the story as the main character, Jo, uncovered the secrets in her family history and grappled with her own past. But it was the historical thread that really grabbed me. The characters’ conflicts brought home to me the emot
Monnie
If it isn't blood and guts, murder and mayhem, I'm likely to turn my nose up at reading it - or so it usually goes. But when I had a chance to get this book at a very special price at Amazon (as long as I got it that day), I checked it out and learned that it relates to an Irish woman's uncovering, and rediscovering, her Irish roots. Maybe because I'm married to a guy who has strong ties to the Ould Sod (and a surname to prove it), I decided to give it a go.

Two things I should note up front: Fir
Dixiane Hallaj
In After the Rising, Orna Ross skillfully weaves together the stories of four generations of women of the Parle family. Jo, the narrator, returns from San Francisco to the small village in Ireland where she was born and raised, arriving just in time to be late for her mother’s funeral. She learns she has inherited a suitcase full of family documents including diaries, photographs, newspaper clippings, along with a letter of instructions from her recently deceased mother passing along her grandmo ...more
Alison Cubitt
After the Rising is a part coming of age story, part historical novel, dealing as it does with the Irish Civil War in the 1920s. Told from the point of view of Jo Devereux in the present and the letters, diaries and journals of her female relatives filling in the narrative in the 1920s, it is an ambitious, epic of a novel.

Jo is charged with writing the family history over the three generations but when she gradually uncovers the secrets of the past she is confronted by the knowledge that she too
Áine
The sinking sands of Coolanagh. `WARNING!' they shout. `DANGER! The Sands on this side of the Point are Unstable and Unsafe. Do not Diverge from the Path.'

Orna Ross has written a masterpiece and in this age of exaggeration and hyperbole I hope I can convey just how exceptional is her book After The Rising.

There is not a spare word nor a trite phrase anywhere in this book - the prose is absolutely gorgeous.

She clearly and lyrically tells the story of Cogadh Cathartha na hÉireann (The Irish Civil
Bethany
Anyone with an Irish background would love this book because it gives a little insight into the struggle to take Ireland back from the British. The story is about a woman who leaves Ireland and "the troubles" behind, living in California---Not much is known of her life in the states, but it wasn't perfect. At the start of the book she is called home to her mother's death bed, but her mother dies before she gets there, leaving her daughter she hasn't seen in 20 years a box of clippings, photos, ...more
Patricia
The fight for Irish independence in the 20th century divided families and neighbors over the shape and size of Ireland after centuries of English rule. Four generations of strong Irish women whose lives are marked by divided loyalties, war, tragedy, love, loss, and long held secrets. The book goes back and forward as each woman reveals her thoughts, fears, and doubts. An interesting look at Irish politics and struggles in Wexford and Dublin.

I'd rate this about 3.8

No sex
Non graphic violence relat
Jo
I have to admit I didn't have my reading hat on whilst reading this so I don't want to judge the book unfairly. What I did digest was great
Lindsay IL
4.5 stars. I loved the characters, I loved the story, I MOSTLY loved the writing. Written in three different time settings, sometimes the jumps seemed a little random to me. They always gave important details and were vividly written but sometimes the interruptions were just too distracting to any single story line. I cried over soldiers, I cried over old lovers....oh, so good! The book definitely ended on a cliffhanger so now I'm off to read book #2!! I'm hoping for a good ending!
Charlotte
This book kept my attention, but I have other books to read before starting the next book in the series. I am interested in Irish history and Irish people, and I feel that this series will be informative. I did find this book a bit confusing when the author skipped back and forth in the stories of the grandmother and her granddaughter. I will miss peeking into their lives so I may begin the next book before long.
Alice Farrer gilmartin
Unfortunately, I gave up on this one. It had potential, but I just couldn't keep track of the story lines and the various characters. Once I got lost, I couldn't seem to figure out which time period I was in or how the various people were related/connected.
Candy
This well-written story of the clashes between the "free staters" and the "IRA" in Ireland was compelling reading. The multi-generational aspect of the story provoked me to think about how family heritages impact our choices and lives.
Samantha
3.5.....very quick read....at this stage in my life, I am really looking for a lot of character development, and investment in the story, and this one did not hit the mark.
Maryrose
May 02, 2008 Maryrose marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
recommended by Ciaran Buckley
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Amanda Ash
Amanda Ash marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Cheri
Cheri marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • The Books of Rachel
  • The City of Refuge
  • Spirited Away: A Novel of the Stolen Irish
  • Snow Soldiers
  • 1929 Jonathan's Cross (The 1929 Series)
  • Dunaway's Crossing
  • The Shut Mouth Society
  • Sprig of Thyme
  • Spirit Horses
  • Gisborne: Book of Pawns (The Gisborne Saga, #1)
  • The French Girl
  • City of Light (City of Mystery, #2)
  • Sky of Red Poppies
  • Sikander
  • Francesca of Lost Nation
  • Here Among Us
  • Freedom's Sword
  • Village Books
Orna Ross is a bestselling Irish author, living in London. She writes novels, poems and the 'Go Creative' series, which teaches people how to apply the creative process to all aspects of life.

Her website is: http://www.ornaross.com

Orna is also founder and Director of The Alliance of Independent Authors, a global nonprofit association for self-publishing writers.

More about Orna Ross...
Blue Mercy Before the Fall: A Novel (An Irish Trilogy Book 2) A Dance in Time Inspiration Meditation: A Guide For Writers Artists & Everyone After The Rising & Before The Fall: Two-Books-In-One

“If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything.” 4 likes