Start by marking “Lover's Hollow” as Want to Read:
Lover's Hollow

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Lover's Hollow

When Jo Devereux returns to Ireland after an absence of 20 years, the last thing she expects is to end up writing a family history.

Family pride has caused Jo nothing but heartbreak and loss but now, unearthing seventy-year old secrets of love and revenge in a time of war, and a killing that has haunted three generations, Jo begins to understand why.

In revealing some asto
Paperback, OOP
Published (first published January 1st 12)

To ask other readers questions about Lover's Hollow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lover's Hollow

Katherine
A wonderful book interweaving three different times in the Parle family, 1922, 1975, and 1995. A perfect blend of historical and contemporary fiction. Orna Ross masterfully reveals secrets and motives within the story and, for the first time, allowed me (Oh happy day!) to understand the Irish Civil War which had previously been a tangled muddle in my mind.

Superb writing with beautiful descriptive prose and a strong sense of place. The storytelling was so compelling I kept thinking just one more
Amanda
I wrote out a nearly finished review and my computer ate it. Bullet points it is.

-Should be 3.5 stars. Not a 4.0 book.
-Jo's motivation in loving Rory escapes me.
-Jo's traumatic childhood evoked strong feelings in me. Esp. when she was bullied by her "friends."
-Really more interesting is her grandmother's story.

This book doesn't really answer the questions it started with. I know it has at least one more book in this series, but I feel like we should have gotten some sort of closure, even if it
Indiebrag
We are proud to announce that After the Rising is a 2012 B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree!
Áine
Apr 14, 2012 Áine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sinking sands of Coolanagh. `WARNING!' they shout. `DANGER! The Sands on this side of the Point are Unstable and Unsafe. Do not Diverge from the Path.'

Orna Ross has written a masterpiece and in this age of exaggeration and hyperbole I hope I can convey just how exceptional is her book After The Rising.

There is not a spare word nor a trite phrase anywhere in this book - the prose is absolutely gorgeous.

She clearly and lyrically tells the story of Cogadh Cathartha na hÉireann (The Irish Civil
Jamie
Nov 30, 2016 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book until shortly before the end, when it petered out and seemed to completely lose all momentum. I later found out (when I returned to a place with internet), that it was the first part of a trilogy.

Mostly very well-written and engaging, it does have a slightly annoying habit of ret-conning history to emphasise that all men are idiots and all women are sensible and decent, but not enough to detract from the quality of the rest of the work.

I definitely enjoyed the novel e
SELF-e
This book was chosen as a SELF-e Select title and features in the Mystery Anthology in the SELF-e Select Module on Biblioboard, a nationwide product available in participating local libraries all over the country.
Colin Garrow
Jan 07, 2017 Colin Garrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Returning to her native Ireland for her mother's funeral, Jo Devereux is thrown back into the long-standing conflict between Rory O'Donovan's family and her own. Reaching into the past, Jo begins to examine what it was that drew her to Rory all those years ago, but more importantly, what tore them apart. Letters and diaries from her own mother and grandmother, uncover unsettling truths about the two families and their roles in the conflict known as 'The War of The Brothers'...

This is one of thos
Kevin Booth
Dec 23, 2016 Kevin Booth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“If you have not seen the day of Revolution in a small town where all know all in the town and always have known all, you have seen nothing.” — Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Scribner Classics, 1996. p. 106.

Though partially of Irish stock, I confess to scant knowledge of the Emerald Isle’s history apart from the dates of the 1916 Easter Rising and the gaining of Independence in 1922. So Orna Ross’s After the Rising was a compelling introduction, not least because the beguiling lilt o
Ann Thomas
Dec 28, 2016 Ann Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the stories of three time periods and it was sometimes difficult to keep them in mind as the focus shifted, but the effort was well worth it. The characters just leaped off the page and the settings were so real I feel as if I should go there to see for myself. Highly recommended.
LindyLouMac
Jul 13, 2012 LindyLouMac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was Orna Ross's début, originally published with the sequel as 'Lovers' Hollow' by Penguin in 2006. The title has recently been reissued by the author. It is the first time I have read anything by Orna Ross and I feel very guilty that it has taken me so long to read and review 'After The Rising' and the sequel 'Before The Fall' which I read immediately after this one, so will publish the reviews simultaneously. The author was kind enough to provide copies for My Kindle via Amazon a lo ...more
Monnie
Jan 01, 2013 Monnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If it isn't blood and guts, murder and mayhem, I'm likely to turn my nose up at reading it - or so it usually goes. But when I had a chance to get this book at a very special price at Amazon (as long as I got it that day), I checked it out and learned that it relates to an Irish woman's uncovering, and rediscovering, her Irish roots. Maybe because I'm married to a guy who has strong ties to the Ould Sod (and a surname to prove it), I decided to give it a go.

Two things I should note up front: Fir
Alison Cubitt
Jul 31, 2013 Alison Cubitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the Rising is a part coming of age story, part historical novel, dealing as it does with the Irish Civil War in the 1920s. Told from the point of view of Jo Devereux in the present and the letters, diaries and journals of her female relatives filling in the narrative in the 1920s, it is an ambitious, epic of a novel.

Jo is charged with writing the family history over the three generations but when she gradually uncovers the secrets of the past she is confronted by the knowledge that she too
Dixiane Hallaj
Jul 06, 2012 Dixiane Hallaj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In After the Rising, Orna Ross skillfully weaves together the stories of four generations of women of the Parle family. Jo, the narrator, returns from San Francisco to the small village in Ireland where she was born and raised, arriving just in time to be late for her mother’s funeral. She learns she has inherited a suitcase full of family documents including diaries, photographs, newspaper clippings, along with a letter of instructions from her recently deceased mother passing along her grandmo ...more
Bethany
Jun 01, 2012 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone with an Irish background would love this book because it gives a little insight into the struggle to take Ireland back from the British. The story is about a woman who leaves Ireland and "the troubles" behind, living in California---Not much is known of her life in the states, but it wasn't perfect. At the start of the book she is called home to her mother's death bed, but her mother dies before she gets there, leaving her daughter she hasn't seen in 20 years a box of clippings, photos, ...more
Dawn Lennon
As the first of a series that focuses on the Irish rising in the early 1900s, a family tied to it and the IRA, and the return of a prodigal daughter to her homeland, this book weaves together family conflict, lost love and the futile effort to regain it, the futility and frustration of rebellion, and the mysteries of sordid family stories long buried. It is a truly engaging read, beautifully written, artfully structured, and at ease with revelations around human relations, personal awareness, an ...more
Dianne Ascroft
Feb 03, 2012 Dianne Ascroft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed After The Rising immensely. From the opening pages I was drawn into the story and quickly became engrossed in it. Set in Ireland, in the present and also in the 1920s, it’s a modern and an historical fiction rolled into one.

I easily slipped into the modern thread of the story as the main character, Jo, uncovered the secrets in her family history and grappled with her own past. But it was the historical thread that really grabbed me. The characters’ conflicts brought home to me the emot
Betty
Oct 02, 2014 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having recently discovered that my great-grandfather was born in Ireland in 1824, I am very determined to learn everything I can about Ireland and its history.

The writing in this book is literary in style and really quite beautiful. Phrases like "new memories hurt me in the remembering and the events of the past resist me, twist out from under my pen" tear at the heart.

The interweaving of the stories of Jo and Gramma Peg are very well handled but I wish there had been something about who Peg ma
Debbie Young
Aug 21, 2013 Debbie Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written, sensitive and humane account of the impact of the 1916 rising in Ireland on subsequent generations of a family and on the society in which they live.

What I liked best about this book:

lyrical prose that sometimes soars to breathtaking heights without being remotely ostentatious
it made me understand and empathise with the players in 20th century Irish history for the first time (my previous grasp of events had been distorted by TV news when I was growing up in England during
Patricia
Oct 15, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
The fight for Irish independence in the 20th century divided families and neighbors over the shape and size of Ireland after centuries of English rule. Four generations of strong Irish women whose lives are marked by divided loyalties, war, tragedy, love, loss, and long held secrets. The book goes back and forward as each woman reveals her thoughts, fears, and doubts. An interesting look at Irish politics and struggles in Wexford and Dublin.

I'd rate this about 3.8

No sex
Non graphic violence relat
Charlotte
Feb 08, 2013 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kept my attention, but I have other books to read before starting the next book in the series. I am interested in Irish history and Irish people, and I feel that this series will be informative. I did find this book a bit confusing when the author skipped back and forth in the stories of the grandmother and her granddaughter. I will miss peeking into their lives so I may begin the next book before long.
Lindsay IL
Dec 21, 2012 Lindsay IL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
4.5 stars. I loved the characters, I loved the story, I MOSTLY loved the writing. Written in three different time settings, sometimes the jumps seemed a little random to me. They always gave important details and were vividly written but sometimes the interruptions were just too distracting to any single story line. I cried over soldiers, I cried over old lovers....oh, so good! The book definitely ended on a cliffhanger so now I'm off to read book #2!! I'm hoping for a good ending!
Julz
As my family history is linked to Ireland, I found the history fascinating. The story also had me very interested. Unfortunately, the book left too many unanswered questions and the abrupt ending left me feeling that the author realised the book was getting too long and then broke it into two books. The second, I am yet to read. I am torn whether to read it to answer the questions or not bother incase they don't get answered here either..
Alice Farrer gilmartin
Unfortunately, I gave up on this one. It had potential, but I just couldn't keep track of the story lines and the various characters. Once I got lost, I couldn't seem to figure out which time period I was in or how the various people were related/connected.
Candy
Jan 26, 2013 Candy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This well-written story of the clashes between the "free staters" and the "IRA" in Ireland was compelling reading. The multi-generational aspect of the story provoked me to think about how family heritages impact our choices and lives.
Rosemary Noble
Aug 12, 2016 Rosemary Noble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisite writing, intricately interwoven story, left me wanting more. Thank goodness there is a sequel.
Samantha
3.5.....very quick read....at this stage in my life, I am really looking for a lot of character development, and investment in the story, and this one did not hit the mark.
Jo
May 11, 2014 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I didn't have my reading hat on whilst reading this so I don't want to judge the book unfairly. What I did digest was great
Nancy Martel
Nancy Martel rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2014
Frances Green
Frances Green rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Sue Shiel
Sue Shiel rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The French Girl
  • Indian Maidens Bust Loose
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Midwyf: Liza
  • Box Set: The Arrington Trilogy
  • City of Light (City of Mystery, #2)
  • Restoring the Castle
  • Spirited Away (Spirited Away, #1)
  • Drinking with Dead Women Writers
  • A Killing Among the Dead
  • Sky of Red Poppies
  • Almost Kings
  • Beyond the Event Horizon
  • To Take Her Pride
  • Snow Soldiers
  • Sikander
  • Timesplash (Timesplash, #1)
  • Hetaera (Agathon's Daughter #1)
Orna Ross is an indie author who inspires and motivates others towards creative living, through her novels, poems and creativist tools and teachings.

Her website is: http://www.ornaross.com

Orna is also founder and Director of ALLi, (pronounced "ally", not ALLee), the Alliance of Independent Authors, a global, nonprofit association of writers focussed on ethics and excellence in self-publishing.

htt