Start by marking “Strange News from Another Star and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
Strange News from Another Star and Other Tales
Preview

Strange News from Another Star and Other Tales

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  510 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In 1919, the same year Demian was published, seven of these stories appeared as a book entitled Märchen (lit. Fairy Tales). This 1st edition in English has followed the arrangement Hesse made for the final collected edition of his works, where he added an 8th story, "Flute Dream".
The new note so clear in Demian was 1st sounded, Hesse believed, in some of these tales writ
Published May 1st 1972 by Farrar Straus & Giroux (NY) (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Strange News from Another Star and Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange News from Another Star and Other Tales

Jason
Hermann Hesse has been my favorite author since high school, but this is the first opportunity I've had to read "Strange News from Another Star" -- which is essentially a collection of modern fairy tales. They are amazingly lyrical, timeless, magical, and spiritual -- a testament to Hesse's skill as a humanistic philosopher and gifted writer (as well as a gift from an outstanding translator!).
Husayn
"IRIS"-read this when next you feel old and uncertain of who you are
Erik Graff
Jun 20, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hesse fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: literature
It is difficult to give an overall rating to a collection since the pieces may vary so much in quality and effect. "Iris", however, is one of my favorite Hesse short stories.
Betty
"The Hard Climb" is one of my favorite stories. This is a book of fables that integrates Eastern and Western philosophies, and the truths we are all struggling to comprehend.
Greg Bem
I felt my insides as my soul, sculpted by the scarves of experience in a wintry world turned warm.
Adam
My second time through this book was a bit disenchanting; it shimmered and was only wonderful in my memory. Two years later, I came to it looking to remind myself of how good Hesse' short fiction could be. My friend Alex had just gifted me Stories of Five Decades, and dipping into that I found myself agreeing with Hesse's own negative opinions of those stories. I hadn't realized he could write so poorly, or at least with such little interest.

Strange News includes several very worth reading stor
Brandy
I haven't read any Hesse since my boarderline obsession with him in high school. This book has been sitting on my shelf for at least 10 years, unread, waiting. His writing is exactly as I remember it, poetic and drenched in natural imagery. Reading Hesse is no less than having a love affair with the wilderness.

I'm just not there anymore. I've grown up and now I want more from my literature than fairy tales. This is a lovely collection of short stories and I'm glad I finished off my year having
Jake
A brilliant collection of Herman Hesse's short stories that express his own beliefs and views on the world and cosmos.
Taylor John lockie
A must read! This is an incredible book of short stories! x
Jan-Maat
Interesting collection of short stories, similar in tone and interests to Hesse's novels.

In the title story a person visits another world in a dream. This other world is a one of violence and warfare much like our own and the dreamer, who comes from a peaceful planet is perceived as a kind of angel.

In another story a baby is given the magical blessing that everybody will always love him, which in the way of magical blessing turns out extremely badly until as an adult the man wishes only for one
Annalise
Am glad I came across this little magical book
Max Cooper
Beautiful stories. I particularly liked Augustus -- the boy who everyone loved. His life is surprisingly quite desperately sad until his mother's wish is changed -- won't give away what happens though. :)

These stories don't have the power of many of Hesse's leading novels such as Siddhartha, Steppenwolf, Demian, but are on the whole very nice and one can detect the same Hesse-ian morality and philosophy.
Carlos Burga
Even though I absolutely love Hesse’s novels, his endless collections of short stories will always have a special place in my heart. Not only does he treat the reader to countless, brilliantly told erwachsene Märchen, these small stories also contain the kernel of the psychological novels to come, allowing the familiar reader to see the progress in the development of these ideas.
David Russomano
All of the stories in this book can be found in either Stories of Five Decades or The Fairy Tales of Herman Hesse. After realizing that, I was a little sad that I'd bothered buying this book, but I had to leave my stories of five decades behind previously, so I guess it was good to reclaim some of them.
علياء
قصة الشاعر تذكرني برواية "الخيميائي" لباولو كويلو. أما قصة "أنباء غريبة من كوكب آخر" ففيها خيال علمي، ولكنها ككل قصص هرمان هيسه ورواياته ذات طابع فلسفي تأملي يكسبها ألقاً خاصاً.
Magdelanye
Each of the stories in this little book has its own atmosphere and energy.
All are complete gems detailing a story with roots in the commonplace and
edging the fabulous.
Karen Ceja
El Sr. Hesse siempre tan pendiente a las frecuencias. Mis relatos favoritos: Noticias extrañas de una nueva estrella, Sueño de flauta, e Iris :)
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
An outstanding collection of stories with a mystical, science fiction, fantasy feeling. This is my favorite Hesse book!
Justin
Christine
These stories are so dreamlike often allegorical too. Really beautiful. I know I will read these again at some point.
Jamie
8 stars. There were two stories that had me yawning but most of them left me breathless. What a writer!
Niloofar
مجموعه داستان کوتاه با درون مایه عرفان شرقی و به سبک سمبولیسم
K.
I would love to find a copy of this.
Jesse
Jesse is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2015
Aikaterini
Aikaterini marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Nuno Botelho
Nuno Botelho marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Foxy
Foxy marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • Thoughts and Meditations
  • Selected Short Stories
  • A Guide for the Advanced Soul: A Book of Insight Tag - Hold a Problem in Your Mind
  • Tales of Terror and Detection
  • Piano Stories
  • The Collected Stories
  • My Life
  • Asylum Piece
Hermann Hesse was a German-Swiss poet, novelist, and painter. In 1946, he received the Nobel Prize in Literature. His best known works include Steppenwolf, Siddhartha, and The Glass Bead Game (also known as Magister Ludi) which explore an individual's search for spirituality outside society.

In his time, Hesse was a popular and influential author in the German-speaking world; worldwide fame only ca
More about Hermann Hesse...
Siddhartha Steppenwolf Demian: Die Geschichte von Emil Sinclairs Jugend Narcissus and Goldmund The Glass Bead Game

“And while he compared all these things which he was seeing with his eyes to the mental pictures he had painted of them in his homesickness, it became clear to him that he was, after all, destined to be a poet, and he saw that in poets' dreams reside a beauty and enchantment that one seeks in vain in the things of the real world.” 0 likes