Start by marking “Promise, Texas” as Want to Read:
Promise, Texas

Promise, Texas (Heart of Texas #7)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,572 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Some of the people in Promise are from old ranching families—like the Westons and Pattersons—folks who arrived in the Hill Country more than a century ago. And then there are newcomers like Annie Applegate, who's looking for peace but finds a great deal more. She agrees to marry a widowed veterinarian for the sake of his children…and discovers th ...more
Published August 19th 2008 by Mira (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Promise, Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promise, Texas

Whitelady3
This book reminded me of tv series such as "Everwood" and "Men in Trees", as they revolve around the life of a small town, where some characters try to rebuilt their life and, of course, end up finding love.

It's not a great book, but it's a nice read, although there's a lot of characters and stories which, unfortunately, aren't very developed. Some characters might have their stories a bit more developed in previous books by this author, since I've learned on GoodReads that this book is the 7th
Rachelle
A peek into the good ol' days, where a woman's only purpose in life is to find a husband and men were the strong silent type, who had no tolerance for girly coffee like lattes. There were many eye-roll inducing moments, and a couple of snickers, not an author that I personally would pick up again, especially since it was seriously lacking in the aspect that I am mostly looking for in this type of book, some skirt-lifting, heavy-breathing romance.
Maddie
Slow beginning but once you get into it, there's no going back. You might as well live in Promise! You feel like you're a part of the people's lives there
Sharon Hughson
I love Macomber's series, but I have not read any but the first one in this series (and this is book #7). This book didn't read as a stand-alone at all, and because of that, I'm giving it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.
If you haven't read the rest of this series, don't pick up this book. Will Macomber throw in pertinent details? Sure, but there is so little about the new romance - between Annie and Lucas - that their story doesn't feel authentic. If you want to catch up with what's happening in Promise, t
Judy

This review is from: Promise, Texas (Heart of Texas) (Mass Market Paperback)
There's nothing like a small down filled with people who are about each other, take care of each other. Promise, Texas is one such town.

This book is well written and so easy to read. It's one of those books you can easily enjoy. It's one that you can pick up again later.

Thank you, Debbie, for sharing your writing with the world! I have picked up a few of your books and am sure I'll add to my collection.

Everyone out there
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Apr 05, 2009 ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Heart of Texas fans only
This book is a sequel to her 6-part Heart of Texas series. You get to revisit all of the 6 couples from each book, plus two couples from the community. It's nice to hear how the couples you originally read about are doing now, several years later. However, as can be expected, there is a new romance in the book. Not one, but four, and all with unfamiliar characters but one. If I hadn't just finished reading the first 6 books last week, I might be confused. With so many couples running around, plu ...more
Marianne
Some three or four years after the events of the first six books in the Heart of Texas series, Debbie Macomber takes the reader back to Promise, Texas. Dr Jane Patterson’s friend, Annie Applegate, flees California where a car accident left her badly scarred and led to a nasty divorce, to live, at Jane’s urging, in Promise. Annie opens a bookstore and has soon captivated the town, including the local veterinarian, widower Dr Lucas Porter and his two young daughters. Eventually, what starts as a m ...more
Judy
I thought this was a stand alone, but turned out be book 7 out of 7! Although the book can stand on its own, the characters were all returning from their respective stories, which would have delighted those who were up to date in the series. Still, Promise, Texas is the stuff Debbie Macomber is known for... You get immersed in the story, the setting transports you to the town and you fall in love with the characters.

Would love to back read the other books if I can find it though. Even with all
Helen
This was a very pleasant read over the Christmas excitement. Somehow, I think this author has written some cosy mysteries but this isn't one of them. It seems there were some threads left hanging from stories she'd written about Promise earlier and she was persuaded to wrap them up for her readers. She picks up the nasty brother of several characters, a sweet soul who is in prison in New York for smuggling aliens, and has his lawyer (the ex-wife of another character)come to Promise to follow up ...more
Vera
There are lots of characters in this book, so really hard to keep them all straight and give them a fair share of the story line. Seems like lots of 2nd chance marriages and even a little mystery.

I did finish the book. Stated yesterday and just finished today. Really wanted to see how it ended before stopping.
Lbaker
You always know what you're going to get when you pick up a Debbie Macomber, light, romance, generally happy endings and characters that are likable, but a little good to be true.

I find myself picking up this type of book after reading heavier novels, they are always sweet - dessert after a complex meal.
Pr Latta
#7 in the Heart of Texas series which brings a different couple (or two) together in each book. In Macomber's trademark sweet style, Annie Applegate comes to Promise at the urging of her childhood friend Dr. Jane (#4 Dr. Texas) after a car accident that leaves her scarred and dumped by her husband. Cue the widowered vet with two daughters...and you can guess where this is going. It's heartening that her book store is doing so well! Two other romantic threads are woven in: Sheriff Adam can't seem ...more
Deb
Annie is ready for change in her life, and so at the urging of her best friend Jane she moves to Promise, Texas. What she finds there is a wonderfully supportive community of folks who are willing to support and love her. This includes a local widower who might turn out to be more than just a friend. Meanwhile we also learn about the sherrif's quest to win over a local schoolteacher, a host of other family and relationship problems, and a mystery involving the nearby ghost town of Bitter End. [r ...more
Ferne
I received this book as a gift. And although I had not read the "Heart of Texas" series, I decided to read this book independently. A reviewer on Amazon shared that it can be read independent of the initial series and I heartily agree. If time permits, I'll go back and read the others some time.
In generally every Debbie Macomber title, there is a character who knits, but not this time...a nice change of pace. And yes, I know that Debbie loves knitting. I do too! Still, it was a refreshing change
Judy Wise
I understand that the author after writing the first 6 stories about the people of Promise thought the series was finished. Her public wanted more and thus Promise Texas was written.

As with the rest of the stories, I loved it. We find out how the rest of the people in town go about their lives and of course find happiness, sometimes it is not so easy. We also find a little more about Richard the black sheep brother.

I have loved reading this series and think that anyone else would find it enter
Lara
It's been a while since I read the first trilogy, but this story manages to convey what's gone before in a quick and easy manner. Sometimes I wanted to smack some sense into certain characters, but that just makes them more believable, right?
Nicola
A nice light listen for driving too and from work. Happy endings and happy characters. All neatly tied up at the end. Typical Macomber. A pleasant time, which is why I keep coming back to her books!
Jan Mcleod
Life unfolds for many of the residents of Promise with numerous marriages and births in this novel. We also meet Richard's attorney, Valerie, who is bent on getting him parole. VERY intereting tale--as well as the results!!!
Melissa Hinton
I really enjoyed this book even though there were a lot of characters to keep up with. I would have loved to hear more about Adam and Jeannie. They were my favorite characters in the book.
Michelle Molinari
This seventh installation of the “Heart of Texas” series was by far the longest. The other books were short and sweet. This one was a proper novel length and yet I found it dragged on. There were several story lines but I still felt they could’ve benefited from a shorter length in story line. Then at the end it seemed to wrap up too quickly. For all those pages of description, the ending could’ve been written less abrupt. The Epilogue gave more action and drama than the middle 100 pages. I alway ...more
Samantha Ramskill
Heart of Texas

I like the series, it's wholesome and has a good plot. Love that as the books go on all the characters do as well.
Glynis Fletcher
Great book to get lost in the life of small town Promise, TX. One sees how life, love & families intertwine in this town.
Dorothy Clark
Nice feel-good book. Typical Macomber story.
Kim Hampton
I have really gotten attached to the characters in this series. They seem exactly like the kind of people I would want for my friends and neighbors. In this book, we meet Dr. Jane's friend Annie, who moves to Promise to get away from a bad divorce. She swears she will never love again, and so does the town veterinarian....but they both love his daughters. Would that be enough to base a marriage on? Plus, we catch up on what Richard Weston is doing, is he still manipulating people from behind pri ...more
Yekaterina
There are a lot of families and characters mentioned in this one. Some oldest are back and some brand new characters. I enjoyed this book. It was a little longer than most of her books but still easy and fun.
Just
Looking forward to the next one in this series. I love series and following the lives of those living in the towns that Debbie creates.
Lori
If you know me at all, I can't start a series and not finish it. I can't stand not knowing the rest of the story. And so the story of Promise goes on...Predictable, entertaining, fluff. I think there is one more to go and of course, I'll be reading it too. Debbie Macomber is always a quick, easy read and can take you mind off of real life for just a bit. Ahhh....
Barbara
Broke down and purchased one of this Authors mass produced books. It was very predictable and you can put your mind in neutral to read it. But this is just what I need sometimes, to go to a place where everyone loves and cares about each other, their families and things turn out just the way they should.
Diane
Having grown up in Texas...a little farther west than Promise, but the people are much the same. Loved being back home in Texas. May have to check out some more of the Texas tales. Maybe a few more words of Texas would have been more "homie" -- like "See y'all later!"
Ilean
Nov 19, 2008 Ilean rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance and mystery readers
Shelves: romance, macomber
This was a satisfying third book of Promise Texas series. Will there be more? Though the mystery of Bitter End was solved will there be more of Bitter End to come? If you love Debbie Macomber books you will really love this series.
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Sisters Found (Hawk's Way, #13)
  • Austin (McKettricks of Texas, #3; McKettricks, #13)
  • Listen to Your Heart
  • Ask Anyone (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #2)
  • The Midwife's Legacy
  • Somewhere Along The Way (Harmony #2)
  • Fireside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #5)
  • Venus in Blue Jeans (Konigsburg, #1)
  • Eden Creek

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #
More about Debbie Macomber...

Heart of Texas (8 books)
  • Lonesome Cowboy (Heart of Texas #1)
  • Texas Two-Step (Heart of Texas #2)
  • Caroline's Child (Heart of Texas #3)
  • Dr. Texas (Heart of Texas #4)
  • Nell's Cowboy (Heart of Texas #5)
  • Lone Star Baby (Heart of Texas #6)
  • Return to Promise (Heart of Texas #8)
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5) Back on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #4)