Killer Summer

Killer Summer

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Best friends Zoe, Sage and Nick have been invited to spend part of their summer at "Maggie's Dream," a beach house on Fire Island. But when Maggie washes up dead on the beach the term killer summer suddenly takes on a new meaning.
Published June 1st 2005 by Red Dress Ink

Sharal Hunter
Another very good offering from the now defunct Red Dress Ink line. I feel like I'm beating the dead horse here, but I can't help it. I am such an obsessed chick-lit girl; I collected every release published by Red Dress Ink that I had missed out on after I signed up for home delivery. Every month, I would literally jump up and down and do the happy dance when my Red Dress Ink shipment arrived. I couldn't be happier when some of the titles began to cross into other genres such as mystery and par...more
Deborah
Three friends share a house on Fire Island along with one friend's boss who owns the home. Zoe finds his wife's dead body. Zoe is convinced her drowning isn't accidental.
The chapters focus around Zoe, Nick, Sage and the dead wife Maggie with each chapter written in first person. It was confusing as to who is "I". Also, supposedly Zoe, Sage and Nick are close friends, but I really didn't get the feeling that they were that close, especially with Nick.
Brenda Kelton
It took me forever to get through this book basically because i kept getting lost on who was telling the story. I don't mind when a book has many point of views but I do mind when the author does not make it clear who is telling the story. I also found the characters a little flat. It's sad because this book had a lot of potential to be really good.
Marianne
I would give this book 1.5 stars if I could, or maybe even 1 star but since I reserve that rating for books I can't/won't finish, 2 it is. This book was painfully slow, and very wordy. I have never taken so long to read a chick lit type book before and that's because there was nothing in this book to grip me. It was just bad in all sense of the word.
Kristin
I really wanted to like this book...especially because it was set in Fire Island. It started off ok. Then the characters were becoming very annoying. But I figured I should just keep going, it might pay off. Boy was I wrong! Towards the end, I found out who the murderer was, was sooo annoyed that I didn't even finish the book. Very disappointing!
Heather
It was cute. I liked how it was formatted, with each main character having a chapter from their point of view. The 'mystery' was a little too obvious in my opinion, but the book was still enjoyable. I'm not going to rush out to find more Lynda Curnyn immediatley, but I'm not against reading another one of her books either.
Julie
I have had this book on my shelf since 2004 and finally read it because nothing was in for me at the library. It was okay....interesting enough to stick with. Not really sure why I bought it, I think the cover and title intrigued me. I thought it would be a good summer read.....like I said, it was only okay.
Amy
Seriously one of the worst books I've ever read. I wish I could give it negative stars. I had to stop half-way through. And it still hadn't gotten anywhere. And this woman that drowned herself has chapters from her perspective looking down on things. Seriously? a dead lady?
Angelica
I've read this book about three times and had considered it a favorite, but after the third round I realized that it wasn't as great as I thought it was. Admittedly, it was a pageturner and I loved the four different POVs, but most of the characters I really couldn't stand.
Maria (Ri)
This was a great, light, fast-paced chick lit mystery. While the characters were a little stock and flat, it was pretty entertaining nonetheless. Lots of characters kept the mystery interesting and foreshadowing was clever enough not to give away the ending too soon.
Jenn
Charity
Three friends take a summer share in a beach house. But when their hostess ends up dead, only one of the friends suspect that it is more than just a drowning accident. A good read, but somewhat slow paced for a mystery.
Eli
Zoe's chapters had me grinding my teeth, but I didn't have a problem w/the story or writing. As I didn't expect anything more from this book than a way to pass time in an airport, nothing disappointed me.
Nicole
Not a horrible book but there were so many characters ( who weren't all that interesting) plus a dead girl narrating every once in a while. Got to about page 120 than gave up.
Dan
A good thriller by an author I had not yet read. Ms. Curnyn does a good job of developing the main characters and keeps interest as the plot unfolds. A good summer read.
Didn't finish the book....didn't care for the characters at all. They were too self absorbed. I really liked the authors other books - this one was disappointing.
Allison
Ugh, this just didn't grip me. I really had to pull on some will power to finish the book. I kept hoping it would get better, but no go.
Hanny
I got half way through this book and put it down. It just wasn't interesting and life it too short to waste time on books that are boring to you.
Leah Kleinman
I really wanted to enjoy this book, but somehow the characters let me down, and I didn't like reading from so many points of view, four in total.
Nikki Mo
It was supposed to be a mystery, but it was starting to get annoying. I figured out who the killer was in the middle of the book.
Angela
I had bought this book years ago and finally got around to reading it. Not the best, not the worst.., easy to read on the beach.
Regina
Review: An awesome book to read forget about the cover and start reading it. It's a whole package of love, mystery and murder.
Jackie
Actually, I probably shouldn't even classify it as read. I didn't get through half of it. So sad because I really like her.
Melanie
This was pretty good - the characters weren't very sympathetic and kind of got on my nerves at points, but it was entertaining.
Elissa
I stopped reading because I didn't like a single character. I did like the author's writing style, though.
Kim
While it's certainly not the best mystery/chick lit I've ever read, it was pretty enjoyable.
Elaine Briggs
Fast paced, but more like a TV series.
Crystal
it was a good air plane book!
Heather
Great beach read!
Cindy
Good summer read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Night I Got Lucky
  • The Pact (Rachel Benjamin, #1)
  • Tart
  • The Manolo Matrix (Codebreaker Trilogy #2)
  • Hit Reply
  • Speechless
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
  • The Funeral Planner
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • True Lies of a Drama Queen
  • Mafia Chic
  • Starting from Square Two
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Rescuing Rose
  • The Last Year Of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Lost & Found (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • My Fake Wedding
  • Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1)
Lynda Curnyn is a native New Yorker who hasn't migrated very far from her Brooklyn birthplace. She grew up on Long Island and has since made Manhattan her home.

After getting a liberal arts degree from New College at Hofstra University, she went on to New York University for her master's degree in English Literature, even contemplated a Ph.D until she realized she didn't want to spend her 20s in th...more
More about Lynda Curnyn...
Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend Bombshell Engaging Men Opération bague au doigt (Red Dress Ink) (French Edition) Killer Summer (Red Dress Ink Novels)